The unofficial end of summer has come and gone, but there’s still plenty of time for backyard parties and, more importantly, Sunday football gatherings around the big screen. Whether you’re serving up burgers or dogs, don’t forget hearty sides beyond potato chips. We’ve rounded up Food Network’s top five baked bean recipes — perfect on their own or on top of game-day classics.
5. Baked Beans With Swiss Chard – Green leafy Swiss chard adds color to this brightened-up version of baked beans from Food Network Magazine.
4. Infineon Raceway Baked Beans – Guy’s not a huge fan of baked beans because they’re so sweet, so he created this dish, which is a hybrid of chili and baked beans — so the beans will still have some texture and they won’t be as sweet.
3. Baked Beans With Bacon and Red Onions – Rachael can jazz up baked beans a thousand ways, but here she uses store-bought baked beans with a homemade topping of red onions, bacon, brown sugar and black pepper.
2. Barbeque Baked Beans – The Neelys’ beans are flavored with a barbecue seasoning mixture, a cup of homemade barbecue sauce and leftover smoked pork or beef.
1. Southern Baked Beans – For an easy barbecue classic, Paula dresses up canned pork and beans with maple syrup, brown sugar, mustard and, of course, bacon.
Watch Paula make her Southern Baked Bean recipe in this video: