Barbie Babes Says Goodbye — The Great Food Truck Race

by in Shows, August 26th, 2012

momma's grizzly grub and barbie babes
The third season of The Great Food Truck Race took the remaining seven trucks to Flagstaff, Ariz., this week. And while the contestants are starting to learn the ropes of the food truck industry, they weren’t without newbie difficulties this challenge. With a grand prize of $50,000 on the line and the chance to keep their truck, each team will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the game, but ultimately, one truck must go each week. Every Sunday night, FN Dish will bring you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Food Truck contestants to get the boot.

This week, Barbie Babes dealt with more equipment issues, as well as timing and location problems. While they embraced the Truck Stop challenge and Speed Bumps, they just couldn’t take their Down-Under dishes to the next level — and unfortunately, Australian friends Jasmin, Hayley and Skye had to give the keys of their truck back to Tyler.

It’s important to adapt your strategy, pricing and menus each week. You had a “go with the flow” attitude, but it never seemed like you moved fast enough. Did you feel like you were behind this episode?

We definitely have pretty laid-back attitudes and we were probably a little too generous allowing others to get where they wanted to go before us. Even though we’re also competitive, we aren’t the kind of people who “fight to the death” over anything. These teams were very savvy and were 100 percent in it to win it. At this stop we were still just getting the hang of how to operate the truck and so happy to just be in the race. Had we got through this round, we definitely would have stepped it up a notch.

barbie babesWhat do you consider the most important tool in the food truck business: the perfect location or competitive pricing?

The perfect location! Even though we knew our prices were very competitive in this race, missing ideal locations kept us from really being a threat. Food trucks function in a world where the landscape constantly changes.

Were you surprised to learn about the immunity element of the competition?

Not surprised at all that it existed as we knew we were going to be thrown all kinds of stops and bumps at any time. If the Speed Bump prize was $1,000, we still would have been affected by it.

“To own a food truck you need to be street savvy. Our food works better in a catering environment.” You were pretty sure that you were going to put your focus back on catering. Is owning a food truck out of the question for you now?

While catering is our style (and apparently our “speed”), expanding the business is never out of the question. Owning a food truck would add another tier. Besides, we just completed food truck boot camp.

Seoul Sausage now has two wins under their belt. Are they the team to beat in this competition?

When we met the Seoul Sausage boys we were like, they are edgy, savvy and scream street food. Once we got into the race, however, we saw the other sides of the other teams. Sizing up the competition is a natural thing but you never want to write anyone off because you just don’t know when or how they’ll bring it. This race has many elements and you don’t win by being good at only one thing. At the end of the day everyone who made it into this race is a winner.

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Pam says:

I love this show but there is one major thing that is driving me crazy!!!! In every season, but particularly this present one, the "cooks" are not putting back their hair to make/serve food. This is a health code violation. In the real world of cooking one would get some big points off their health inspection. As a female Chef I find it insulting that the women are allowed to let their hair go all over the place…. it just looks really bad in terms of professionalism. They should have a truck stop where they all get inspected by the health department and whomever gets the highest score wins immunity or something.

• Linda K says:

@Pam – thanks for posting. I watched the show and didn't even think about health codes -But now that you mention it, the health issue with some of the trucks now ranks a high on the "ICK" scale. I'm sure when the barbie babes – although the name is already demeaning . . . the one woman (they all look alike so I'm not sure which one) was fixing her hair on the truck. I'm sure the next customer love the extra "protein" in their Aussie burger.

• Pam says:

I know, it's hard to watch when I keep seeing violation after violation. A lot of this has to do with most of these people being home cooks and not having basic kitchen training. I do get offended because I would never wake up one day and go, "gee I want to be a lawyer…that looks fun on tv"…then open a law office….

• lil'Foodie says:

I agree!

• Kelly says:

Couldn't agree more! I felt the same way last season and posted. Guess the Network and/or Tyler don't read the posts. You know there is hair getting into their food. Yuck!

• Cathy says:

Nonnas kitchenette tie their hair when in the truck.

2. Tim says:

After watching Tyler Florence's horrific glee at abusing last year's contestants, I was curious to see if all the negative comments he received who make him rethink his approach. So far, it has NOT. These sort of reality competition shows thrive on showing curve balls to the conestants, which is understandable. But Florence's obviously glee at it makes him come across as REALLY annoying and egotistical. For a cable network who is fanatic about choosing show hosts who are more about likeability and personality than about actual cooking skills, the fact that they choose to use this irritating and insultine person as the host of this show makes no sense. Tyler Florence needs to be replaced.

• Suspicious says:

I agree with you, Tim. Tyler's apparent glee over every idea that they call speed bumps, etc. is definitely offputting to me. He does so little else on the show, maybe that's how he gets his kicks.

3. Suspicious says:

I forgot to add that I hope that the water hose wrestling incident doesn't set the tone for the rest of the series, but considering the griping, nagging, complaining, and back biting that have already occurred after just two episodes, I wouldn't bet on it.

4. Pretty bummed to see the Barbie Babes leave. Don't want to say they were a favorite, but they added to the shows entertainment value.

5. lil'Foodie says:

Bye Bye Barbie Babes!!!!!!

6. ccc says:

Looking forward to see the Atlanta team out. How the one overweight lady went nuts when the guy simply helped out the other team with the setup handout, wow! Disgusting behavior, and to the women who recently lost her husband. Karma…

• Kelly says:

Agree! She was a real brat in the store when the other team asked a simple question. Plus, in another episode she bad-mouthed the Waffle Truck because they were beating her team. Not cool….

7. psuemnick says:

Season 2 happen to stop in not only the city I currently live in, but also a town I lived in (SLC and Manhattan Kanaas) and I did have the pleasure of not only eating from one of those trucks, but have the pleasure of trying out the SLC food trucks and I dont remember thinking it as much in Season 2, but Season 3 and the hair? Would so NOT fly here. The inspectors have been known to shut down a couple of our trucks for what seems like trivial things but are for the best. This group could have easily seen a few of these trucks shut down, and its on the spot.

8. psuemnick says:

As for Barbie Babes when I saw them actually assemble their burgers, both husband and myself were like that is a killer burger, but the girls realized a bit too late that their prices were too low. I understand they wanted to give their customers alot of bang for the buck….but they needed to either trim down what all they put on it over lower prices. Plus too bad they couldnt have teamed with another truck instead of being on the outside looking in. Plus if you noticed they were always 1/2 hour to nearly 2 hours everyone else. These girls need to work on speed to run a food truck. Normal food trucks are serving alot of food and really quick. Also I would have had things that screamed Australian over a hamburger.

9. hcg says:

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i got here to go back the favor?.I am trying to find issues to improve my site!I assume its adequate to use a few of your concepts!!

10. Barbie says:

Barbie babes? doesn't look so Barbie to me