3 Days to Open: Cove Lounge

by in Shows, August 3rd, 2012

cove lounge
Bobby Flay brought in the big guns not once but twice this episode as he took on his next project: Cove Lounge in Harlem, New York. With just three days to open, Alyah and Gloria found themselves knee-deep in bills, as well as dealing with a series of staffing and kitchen issues in their quest to open an upscale lounge. Bobby relied on the legends of Harlem’s food industry and Nina and Tim Zagat to help guide Alyah with constructive criticism. The ladies picked the perfect neighborhood for their venture, but that was only a small part of it.

Before Bobby could consider the task complete, he needed to help the Cove team fix these four crucial issues: staffing, menu, food quality and cocktails.

The signature cocktail, “The Cove,” has been created, and the French fries seem to be perfect. Alyah waited three years for this dream to come true, but did it all work out? One lesson we’re sure she learned was to proofread everything. We checked in with her and Gloria to see how things are going after their visit from Bobby. Click play on the video below for a 3 Days to Open update.

Judge Marc Summers Previews Rewrapped

For years, Marc Summers revealed the whats and hows of timeless snack foods on Food Network’s Unwrapped. And beginning tomorrow, he’ll be...

1. Food_junkie says:

I too had a difficult time watching this woman berate everyone in her path, blaming them for her inadequacies. I thought Bobby went over and above to make her successful and all the while her arm was getting stretched by reaching behind and patting herself on her back. She really was enamored with herself. I think the future will tell of the demise of this egotistical, mediocre and classless restaurant owner. If she's smart, she'll pattern herself after the guest restaurateurs/chefs Bobby invited. They were intelligent, articulate and had some grace and charm on their side. That's where I would go the next time I'm in New York and leave COVE to those who are as shallow as the owner.

• helper2 says:

I think she was too controlling and she made it easy to blame everyone including her sister that work hard to help her. She started the restaurant and didn't know what she was doing and the way she talk to the male figures in the kitchen I see why the chef left after the show was over. She try to be something and someone important and didn't do her homework. Happy for their success.

2. gail Eckert says:

I had to check here as soon as I watched the show to see if I was right…..I just knew that the chef was not going to be staying very long! As an experienced chef he was not given any respect by the owner who wouldn't listen to any voice but her own.

• Brenda says:

I also thought that to be true. Thought it was just me.

• Jamell says:

Youre absolutely right!!!And that's why I left.I wasn't replaced by any sucky Asian chef.I simply left.
      Wish them the best but it wasn't for me,as a chef that trained under Marcus Samuel son(aquavit),
      Monkey bar(Patricia yeo),Jean George(spice market)I couldn't see myself going backwards in my career.
      They also cut alot of footage to,but I wish alayah the best of luck she deserves it.As for me I'm part of a great restaurant group that's opening a new venture where I will be exec chef,and Im Bobby flays sous chef for iron chef America.I'm always reachable on facebook/Jamell chef williams.thx alot.

3. John Doe says:

What was she doing for the first 3 years?

4. MacKenzie says:

I sorry, but I can't watch someone as talented as Bobby Flay waste his time on this type of show. It is so beneath him. Food Network you're losing viewers. Please stop producing these types of shows. The best shows give you some knowledge and ideas. Alton Brown for instance TEACHES you, he is fantastic, although some of the so called props and trying to add small vignettes are completely annoying and take away from Alton's own humor and cut into his education time. Demonstrate, teach and engage your viewers.
    You've lost me on Bobby's new show. Get him back cooking and educating.
    Food Network is about food. Please keep it that way.
    P.S. Please post progress at the end of each show if they must remain. The web site does not perform as you would like.

• Mark Morel says:

I whole heartedly disagree with MacKenzie. In fact I see more friends watching this show. We are all small business owners and feel what Bobby Flay is doing -helping those with a vision – get thru the start-up pains when you don't know how to run a restaurant – or any business.

My hat is off to Bobby Flay. I would give anything to meet him!

Mark in Lake Stevens, WA

• Rochelle says:

Food Network is NOT losing viewers. I love the fact Bobby Flay is paying it forward and being his brothers and sisters keeper. He's a great mentor and for those of us in the restaurant industry, sometimes we don't know what we don't know and he's a life saver!! Thank you Bobby Flay and thank you Food Network!!!

5. srt says:

video dosen't work!!!!

6. Paul says:

Alyah came off as not having a strong sense as to what it took to get a restaurant up and running. It seemed as though she just wanted to stand there and get all the glam and attention that went with a successful restaurant but didn't understand the work involved. She bossed everyone around and didn't step in to help. When I waited tables I worked at a restaurant in Manhattan and on a few occasions I was stuck with being the only waiter there on a particular day. One of the owners, would step in, take orders, and when the place died down again would give me all of the tips. I saw this at work again at the Mohonk Mountain House this past weekend. The managers encouraged the waitstaff and stepped in when things got really busy. I wish the Cove success and I hope Alyah is there to build up her workers and not tear them down.

7. Foodie friend says:

Love Bobby Flay and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show!! Having spent almost 20 years working in restaurants I have been involved in many openings, and it is fantastic to see someone with the talent and experience of Bobby Flay problem solving and sharing his expertise.

8. Copycat? says:

It seems to me that this is just a copy of "Restaruant: Impossible", with the differences being:

1. Three days (instead of two) to turn things around,
    2. Unspecified budget vs. $10,000,
    3. Starting from scratch vs. an older restaurant, and
    4. An "even-keel" host vs. a host who really lets a fuller range of emotion/passion show through.

Sorry, Iron Chef Flay, but Chef Irvine has you on all counts.

9. Joanne says:

You are wasting bobby flays talent on this crap. Shame on you!

10. NycLady says:

Folks I visited Alyah at the Cove Lounge the day after the show aired and you guys need to give her a break. She was a nervous wreck after spending years waiting on approval from the city and state for permits and the works. That's a lot of money spent especially when you have nothing coming in. So was she stressed out? Heck yeah. It's easy to tear someone apart when you don't have all the facts.

Otherwise I think Bobby did an excellent job helping her out. I wish her well.