3 Days to Open: Confections of a Rock$tar

by in Shows, August 17th, 2012

Kimmee, Bobby Flay and Clarisa Martino on 3 Days to Open
Just days before opening, Bobby Flay and his pastry chef, Clarisa Martino, tackled failing ovens, amateur kitchen help and inferior ingredients at New Jersey bakery Confections of a Rock$tar to make sure that Kimmee launched her dream shop on time. So how is Confections doing now that Bobby and Clarisa have left and Kimmee has been running the bakery on her own?

Today, Confections enjoys sales of $400 per day in the middle of the week, $1200 per day on Fridays and Saturdays and $1000 per day on Sundays. The bakery is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays to allow time for individual cake consultations and bakery preparations.

Kimmee’s taken advantage of the techniques Bobby and Clarisa taught her, and says that “Bobby taught me how to do things the right way. Everything he taught me I am utilizing daily.” This includes baking cupcakes with quality ingredients daily and embracing the importance of organization and time management.

Kimmee and Lisa on 3 Days to OpenKimmee’s front-of-house staff remains largely the same, although she has let go of Brooke, the baker, and hired two professionally trained bakers. Kimmee thanks Bobby for showing her how much she needed additional help around the bakery. “No way could I handle it all on my own,” she says. “I needed that push from Bobby because it wasn’t in the budget, so I had to find it and make it happen.” Kimmee’s partner, Lisa, is still learning to balance her full-time job and the demands of her role at Confections.

As for the cupcakes, Kimmee’s menu of flavors features a mix of old and new. In addition to the five that Bobby helped her create, she sells Don’t Be Cruel, a banana cake with peanut butter frosting and honey-dipped bacon, and Strawberry Fields, which features strawberry cake topped with lemon frosting, among others. She’s also incorporated non-cupcake items, like pastries and cookies, to round out her bakery’s “Set List.”

Red Carpet Cupcake at Confections of a Rock$tarCustomers tell Kimmee that her cupcakes are “a religious experience” and “the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” She says there’s a line of customers on weekends and that business has been a mix of regulars and first-timers alike.

Though she works 18-hour days and is extremely busy, Kimmee couldn’t be happier with Confections of a Rock$tar and says that “It’s so nice to finally be baking in a real kitchen!” Kimmee knows that she has to work to continue this initial success, but it’s work that she’s excited to do. “I wish I could work with Bobby once a year so I can keep learning and improving,” she says.

More From 3 Days to Open:

Big Guys Sausage Stand (August 10)

Cove Lounge (August 3)

Licari’s (July 27)

Melt Mobile (July 20)

Sticky’s Finger Joint (July 15)

There’s a New Chef in Boot Camp: Tyler Florence Joins Anne Burrell on Worst Cooks in America, Season 6

Food Network's Worst Cooks in America is back for Season 6 and this time Tyler Florence is joining Anne Burrell to coach 14 of the worst cooks imagina...

1. Thanks JJ says:

Can we have the pastry cream written down for us?????
    Like to try it!

2. ChocoCharlie says:

Ate a cupcake and Im fecalling

3. guest says:

First, the whole premise of the show and the casting call asked for people with no prior restaurant experience who were opening a new shop. They did not want people with a clue, there is no drama in that. That being said, they also capitalized on the foodie cooking passion. . Kimmee's language and hard look go with the whole rock star theme. While I get some people do not curse at all, her language became harsh only at times that seemed appropriate. She was under a tremendous amount of stress, probably just realized how over her head she was and was probably scared to death. Not only was her time and money on the line, so was Lisa's. She thought she had a handle, and was quick to realize she didn't. Her update has figures and real information and she is doing well. Let's be real, the main problem with Kimmee is the whole bull dyke thing. She is butch, she is confident and she makes no apologies about it. You do not have to embrace homosexuals, you do not have to watch her show or buy her cupcakes, but please, be honest, you are uncomfortable by this cursing, confident, loud lesbian "dude".
    Rock on Kimmee

4. guest says:

people, put your whole life and your partners retirement on the line, call in a tv show that goes out of their way to show you how foolish and unprepared you are, realize you are out of money and still do not have what you need, call in your friends to help (who else would put up with our crazy BS) and add the production team to stir things up and see how you do. If you do not lose your mind, drop any Fbombs, get rude with your friends or have an emotional outburst THEN you can call names and sling arrows. I liked Kimmee, she reminded me of every over 30 baseball dyke I have ever known. I am sure she doesn't yell like that now, or she would be wearing a pan of cupcakess on her head. Think about it, most of the time we saw Lisa, Kimmee was not in the room. I am sure Lisa can fling the artillary like a pro. Good luck ladies and dudes :-)

5. guest says:

Oh, and her income would not be 3k per week it would be $4600. Not a lot, but not bad for a start up. $18,400 a month probably covers her overhead, barely. But most new businesses do not show a profit (meaning salary for the owner) until year 3, which is why most fail. If you are going to start a business, especially a restaurant, you should have 2 years of operating funds in your reserve account. Most new restaurants are tragically underfunded.

• NotaTroll says:

You’re right about most restaurants being underfunded but saying most don’t break even until year three is completely wrong! It should take 6 months – year to break even in the food industry. Some places even break even the first month!

6. Bob Hilton says:

I found it hard to watch the floundering "3 days to open" TV show with Bobby Flay knowing that the show was a typical staged reality show and knowing that Kimmee Masi has been baking for the Jersey Shore community for years and had provided some of the best quality and best tasting desserts I have ever had. Kimmie Massi has been baking for years for all of us and has done so many amazing cakes for the Convention and Visitors Bureau, Snookies Baby Shower Cookies, Big Ang from the Mob Wives kickoff party cake, Ramona Rizzo from the Mob Wives Birthday Cake and the Cake for the Bad Girls Club Premier Party. This is a sad day for Bobbi Flay who I think really missed the mark with Confections of a Rock Star, I think he might take the general public for being a bit naive. When we allow someone to make a show that takes something amazing and tried to break it, then pretends to fix it and tries to take credit for someone else’s success, it kind of hard to watch. I can tell you first hand you will not be disappointed with the quality, flavor and variety of cakes and cupcakes that are sold at Confections of a Rock Star in Asbury Park. Try it out and let us know what you think!

7. ryan says:

my family had used this bakery for my surprise bridal shower and we all loved the cupcakes so much, i chose to use them for my upcoming wedding as well! we went in for a cake consultation and had such a hard time deciding between all of the flavors… they were all so delicious! we ended up choosing a chocolate cupcake with mint frosting, the strawberry fields cupcake with lemon frosting, a crumb cake with cream cheese frosting (best version of this frosting i have ever had) and the red velvet. we also tried the salted fudge brownie while we were there. TO DIE FOR! everything is always fresh and the staff is a pleasure to be around! kimmee was great to work with! don't pass by this bakery without going in to try at least one cupcake.

8. Amazing content! I will wish to get more information regarding this inside a future, more descriptive document.

9. Oh, those look amazing! To bad I've missed this opportunity to show of my mad skills in cupcake making (LOL just kidding – I'm not that good)

10. When I first saw this title 3 Days to Open: Confections of a Rock$tar | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. I feel you made a few somewhat interesting points. Not too many individuals would really take into consideration this the way in which you just did. I am truly impressed that there is so much about this subject that has been revealed and you probably did it so nicely, with so considerably class. Top-notch one, thank you.