3 Days to Open: Big Guys Sausage Stand

by in Shows, August 10th, 2012

Big Guys Sausage

In suburban Chicago, Brendan O’Connor and three of his best friends desperately needed Bobby Flay’s help to make their restaurant dreams come true at Big Guys Sausage Stand. With just three days until the grand opening, Bobby tackled clashing personalities, unimaginative toppings and a depressing interior to help the guys create a sausage spot that impressed even the toughest of critics: Chicago’s Sandwich King, Jeff Mauro.

But what happened when Bobby headed home, leaving the guys to fend for themselves? We checked in with Brendan to see how Big Guys is doing a few months after Bobby’s intervention.

Brendan is happy to report that Big Guys is off to a great start: They are averaging $1,500 per day in sales and their numbers are growing daily thanks to neighborhood buzz, good local press and many repeat customers.

Big GuysJoe is now the general manager of Big Guys and Yves and Jimmy are also managers. They manage the stand during different shifts and train all new employees. Yves and Brendan have been getting along well: “Yves is really hustling, training people really well and setting a good example for the new recruits,” says Brendan, who has hired 10 full-time employees to work various stations since the opening.

After Bobby’s interior renovation, the guys spent six figures updating the exterior of the space and getting new equipment. “Now the interior matches the rest of the stand,” says Brendan. The City of Berwyn helped them with the funds for this project as part of their effort to revitalize local businesses.

“Everyone loves the food!” says Brendan. “We have served every cop in the area, so the word is out.” All of the recipes Bobby helped them develop remain on the menu and the guys have since added new dishes including buffalo chicken sausage, Italian chicken sausage, chorizo, crawfish sausage, chili and tamales.

Based on what Bobby taught them, the guys continue to make their specialty sausages in house and are now making their own chicken sausage. They are planning to start offering a house-made pork sausage of the week.

Brendan says he is grateful for everything that Bobby taught him and only wishes the all-star chef and restaurateur could have spent even more time with the Big Guys.

3 days to open big guys sausage stand

More from 3 Days to Open:

Cove Lounge (August 3)

Licari’s (July 27)

Melt Mobile (July 20)

Sticky’s Finger Joint (July 15)

Poll: Your Favorite Burger Condiment and More — Play Along with Hungry Games

Think of a meaty, juicy burger. Now ask yourself: What makes that burger so desirable? In the next episode of Hungry Games, this Monday at 8|7c, Richa...

1. Diamond Chef says:

Your comment is not going over well, but I agree. Bobby does not do a lot on this show, no recipes of his own like on Irvine's and Ramsey's show. The believability factor is also the lowest here as the people always improve 1,000% on the final day.

2. Jeff says:

Living literally 5 minutes away from Big Guys, we decided to give this place a shot last night (after drinking, which is strongly suggested before going in). First impression, nice little place. The place was empty at 1am, and waiting 10+ minutes for a couple Italian sausages and a pork chop sandwich (Which still had a large bone in it) was a little disappointing, but we gave Yves the benefit of the doubt. Another thing we noticed, no exhaust fan in the kitchen.. and that little place filled up with smoke quite fast.

Upon receiving our food, first impression, looked alright.. until we saw that the fries were soggy and under cooked, along with swimming in grease in the bottom of the box. Next stop, indigestion. The sausage was alright, nothing that will really stand out, but as stated before, after drinking.. it wasn't bad.

In an area where there is a lot of competition for the late night crowd, Big Guys will succeed for now because they're the place that Bobby Flay fixed up. Once that novelty wears off, they're going to be in trouble unless they can make some changes that will make them stand out for the better. Great ideas, and an awesome menu.. Just need to get the execution down and hammer out amazing food.

Nothing but the best of luck to the owners and crew of Big Guys. Hoping that they can be as successful as Parky's was for so many years (Former hot dog stand in the building they now occupy). It's always nice to see a local business get national attention from one of the most recognized chef's in the world.

3. Antoinette says:

I like Bobby Flay VERY much and the "idea" of the show is good HOWEVER it irks me that people who somehow can get money to open up restaurants with NO knowledge of what the heck they are doing and some as in the sausage show and the bakery cupcake show are just plain STUPID!!! NON thinking, uneducated people who get this tremendous HELP! When there are people REAL people who would LOVE to do the same HAVE the REAL abilities to do this but can't get one cent! Welcome to America. It is only for SOME!!!! Isn't it? YES! Everyone had $40,000 in savings and / or family to borrow $125,000 from and what they never tell you about it the tremendous INHERITANCES that so many certain people get that others never do! So they have every advantage to start! Life is SO UNFAIR and UNEQUAL even in "great" America.

• Angie says:

You voted for Obama, didn't you? My husband and I worked hard, started our business with a Home Depot smoker and a pop up tent and now we have 2 custom BBQ trailers and a successful BBQ restaurant- no family loans or inheritances, just hard work and a dream- "we built it"…that's the beauty of America………..

• Jay says:

Folks can, have and always will make it in America without inheritance. While it helps, there are plenty of examples throught the dacades where sweat equity still works.

4. Antoinette says:

5. Maria says:

Verrry disappointed with my visit to BG…they took forever with my order: one Italian sausage, one crawfish sausage and one buffalo chicken sausage. During the nearly 20 minute wait for my three sausage order, they served a lot of other people and my coworkers ordered and ate theirs while I was still standing there, waiting for my order…Okay, I figured I'd forgive 'em as I was so eagerly awaiting the experience of eating a yummy sausage and fries…What an utter let-down: the fries were limp and under cooked, swimming in grease, and the Buffalo Chicken sausage was nothing to write home about. I figured I'd eventually give them another chance but I really have no desire to go back, after that horrendous experience there!!!

6. Fan of fresh eats says:

It's nice that there is help out there in the form of Bobby's show and the like that save these families and serve up fresh food to the masses.

7. alfie57 says:

I work about 10 minutes away and tried BG's a couple of times. I have to say they have GREAT sandwiches but the fries…a DISASTER!!! Soft, gooey, greasy! NO crispyness whatsoever!!! If you guys can improve on that, you may be there as long as Parky's was!

8. Greg says:

Good sausages, bad fries. But hey, it's a sausage stand!

9. Hey there! I just would like to give you a huge thumbs up for the great information you have
    got right here on this post. I’ll be returning to your web site for more soon.

10. I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this site. Thank you, I’ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?

• Martha says:

This is the first show of this nature that ive watched,i am very impressed with the guys.I admire them for taking this chance a chance other people only dream of (like me).I wish you full sucess and hope you continue to grow and as far as Bobby Flay goes hes awesome really magnificant i love watching his show. Martha from Tennessee

• windowsfan says: