Restaurant Revisited: The Main Dish

by in Shows, July 18th, 2012

The Main Dish

When Robert Irvine arrived at The Main Dish in Meridianville, Ala., owners Lynn and Ken Tverberg were in desperate need of help. They bought the restaurant five years earlier because Ken loves to cook, but with no restaurant experience at all, the couple found themselves in debt and working 80 hours a week. We checked in with Lynn and Ken a few months after their Restaurant: Impossible makeover to see how the restaurant is faring.

Lynn and Ken have seen a strong increase in sales since Robert’s intervention. “The new menu and decor has brought in old and new customers,” says Lynn. “Some customers don’t like change, and I have made sure that I explain to them that change sometimes is hard but necessary. For every one customer that is not happy, we have three new tables that come in and love the new menu.”

They are still serving most of Robert’s new dishes. “We are using all fresh products now, no more frozen veggies or fish,” says Lynn.

The Main Dish has cut back on catering after Robert pointed out that it was priced incorrectly. They plan to start it up again, but will scrutinize the costs more carefully.

Though the Tverbergs are still working hard, they have made time to spend with their daughters at home: “We have committed to taking our Sundays off with our girls. We catch a movie in the afternoon or just hang out, sitting on the patio and just talking.”

“We are spending, if not more time, much more quality time with one another,” says Lynn. “Robert’s presence and insight helped us realize what is important in life. Hard work still applies with a little dose of reality.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Longbranch Steak and Seafood (July 11)

Horton’s Kids (June 13)

Pollard’s (May 30)

University Grill (May 23)

Ristorante Barolo (May 16)

Pappas (May 9)

Mama Lee’s (May 2)

Pelican Grill (April 25)

Valley View (March 14)

Try a Whole New Take on Chicken Stroganoff

On this week’s Chopped Dinner Challenge, the chefs of Food Network Kitchen chose to feature the basket ingredient chicken livers. Although chicken l...

1. Marjorie Jane says:

Watched this episode over the weekend. Sad to read that the restaurant has since closed or changed management. Like many of you I was impressed by the family and their commitment to save their business. The reason for this comment is to point out the very silly and dangerous move by Chef Robert to pour charcoal lighter onto a fire! If you remember this was as he was burning the hot dog costume the wife had worn. Surely he and producers should have known better. That is something you never ever do.

2. Annabella Samuel says:

I am from Trinidad and Tobago and today the august, 2013, I h ave just finished this episode, After watching this episode, this was the first time tears came to my eyes. I am so happy to see the family reunited and your restaurant is back in business. Keep up the good work

3. kaat says:

you are a PIG !!! No pigs have a purpose … You are a COCKROACH !!

4. Chris says:

wonder how the restaurant is doing now

5. Joe de Ghosta says:

Chef Robert imho failed to realize that in this small southern town too many items were over priced for the local economy. One cant hit 100% all the time in the food service business. Frankly, I am tired of the show, too much drama and the "group hugs" drive you to distraction….

6. Hilary Lewinsky says:

I don't possibly see how any restaurant could close down after all that work, time and money was put into it. I just finished watching the Smitty's makeover 8/31/2013. If I ever had seen the massive roach infestation, the filthy floors and the disgusting kitchen that they had, I would never even consider going back there to eat. Robert said they were lazy, and I think he hit the nail on the head. That place looked it seriously hadn't been cleaned in at least 2 or 3 years. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a miracle overnight. These restaurant folks need to change whatever they were doing quickly. Lots of us wish we could wake up to a whole new world of opportunity in 48 hours of less. (p.s. didn't see the Smitty's episode on the list to comment on. Did anyone else think the same way I did when they watched that episode? Wonder if they are still open now. Thanks.

7. PATTI ADKISON says:

I LIVE ABOUT 15 MINUTES FROM THE MAIN DISH. ALTHOUGH ROBERT AND HIS TEAM DID THEIR BEST, THE MAIN DISH IS CLOSED AND UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT. I REALLY FEEL FOR THE FAMILY AS THEY HAD GIVEN UP SO MUCH TO MAKE IT WORK. I DO AGREE ROBERT DOES A WONDERFUL JOB BUT THIS IS THE SOUTH AND WE USUALLY LIKE OUR FOOD SIMPLER AND MORE SOUTHERN. THEY JUST COULD NOT COMPETE WITH ALL THE PLACES NEARBY IN HUNTSVILLE. THE PARKING LOT WAS SO DESOLATE EVERYTIME I DROVE BY.SAD IT DIDN'T WORK OUT. BUT I STILL LOVE WATCHING ROBERT IRVINE ON FOOD NETWORK. LOVED DINNER IMPOSSIBLE AND THE SPECIAL REGARDING HIS WEDDING. CONGRATS ROBERT. EVERY ONE IS NOT CUT OUT FOR THIS BUSINESS. MY BEST TO YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL WIFE. GODS BLESS.

• Angela H says:

so sad I really enjoyed that episode and was just looking it up to come visit

• Hiram Williams says:

very annoying to read a post IN ALL CAPS!

It IS very sad to learn that the restaurant closed. The comments below give interesting theories as to why that happened and if the makover of The Main Dish may have contributed to the place not doing well. I just saw the episode last night and it was looking for a place to comment and praise the family. They are four of the sweetest people you will EVER see on a show like this. Genuine people not hamming it up for the camera, and the show brought tears to my eyes several times, espec. when they allowed Robert to probe into the family's personal problems associated with the business. I felt like a baby for tearing up emotionally, then a little better when even tough former soldier Robert shed a few tears, as did the dad, who had been strubbling to not shed tears on camera. I am from the South, and men often raised to NEVER cry in public. Anyway, such a nice family, and the dad his one lucky guy! Married 26 years, I think, and his wife still HOT. I write this respectfully and as a compliment. Great face, nice teeth, the body of a 20 year old, and an intellgent class act! The daughters are pretty, too, and have great personalites like their parents; good genes going on in that family!

• orthoroy says:

Anyone who posts in all caps should be ignored. Rude and shows a lack of competence.

8. margo says:

sad,but i think the prices are to high.

9. Jmhulet says:

I'm not sure why they want to keep airing an episode for an out of business restaurant. This doesn't reflect well on the show. They were so quick to stop airing Paula Dean, yet they still show this. Hmmmm.

10. Maureen says:

So, no dates are given on above comments, is the Main Dish opened or closed? Today is 11/10/2013