Squeezed in the Middle

by in Entertaining, How-to, July 5th, 2012

key lime ice cream sandwiches
Growing up as I did in a house filled with junk food, I had many options. Cookies lined the shelves, each vying for my attention, screaming “Pick me!”

Passing over crunchy chocolate chip, I would quickly made my way to the sandwich cookies. Nutter Butters were my all-time favorites. So much so that my homemade variety appears on the cover of my upcoming cookbook.

I waited all year for Girl Scout cookie season, particularly for the Do-Si-Dos. I’m not sure if it’s the cookies or the filling that I love more. If I had to choose, I would say it’s those soft, peanut-buttery middles.

Baking cookies from scratch allows you to think outside the cookie box for filling ideas. Of course, there is the classic cream filling (think the “stuff” of Oreos), which you can make at home by creaming three simple ingredients: butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. I love adding citrus zest, espresso powder, cocoa nibs or even peanut butter for a twist. Heck, you can even fold in Cap’n Crunch cereal. The beauty of a filled cookie is there are endless possibilities.

To add a little more fun to your summer barbecues, bring along some sandwiches, of the sweet variety. All you need is either store-bought or homemade cookies and several pints of ice cream in your favorite flavors — then scoop away! Your guests will have as much fun creating different combinations of ice cream sandwiches as they will eating them.

frozen banana ice cream sandwiches

Try making:

Hedy’s Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches (pictured above)
Frozen Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches
Food Network Magazine‘s Praline Ice Cream Sandwiches
Jeff’s Turtle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich

Hedy Goldsmith, a 2012 James Beard Award finalist for Outstanding Pastry Chef, is the executive pastry chef for the Genuine Hospitality Group of restaurants including Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink in Miami and Grand Cayman, and Harry’s Pizzeria in Miami. Now in her second season of Cooking Channel’s Unique Sweets, Hedy has appeared on Food Network’s The Best Thing I Ever Ate and lauded in The New York Times, People, Wine SpectatorBon Appétit, The Huffington Post and Food & Wine magazine. Hedy’s first cookbook, Baking Out Loud: Fun Desserts with Big Flavors (Clarkson Potter / Publishers), will be released October 2.

Summer Slow-Cooking: Slow Cooker + Outdoor Grill = True Love

ICYMI — I am sharing the joy of using a slow cooker as a companion to your outdoor barbecue. This is part two of a three-part series, but don’...

1. Nicole Waters says:

On the episode of Chopped where they used frozen fries and blue foot chicken, I have a feeling that Amanda Freitag was being biased. Everyone that seemed to disagree with her was Chopped, even if their food was good. I can tell in her expression that she didnt like the idea that people disagreed w? her. It happens every time I see her on the show. All I have to say to her is stop being petty and judge the people on their food and not how you feel. Have a nice day!

2. It looks so yummy… I will try it at my home today.

3. Forthxtosignin says:

So sorry to see Martita Jara go. I liked her presence and presentations. Martita always pleasant, nicely dressed and bringing nice flavors. Martita is more than an "on-the-fly" yapping head. I am not a fan of bring a story. A nice character, like Guy, is one in a million. Recapping, Retro Rad was a jiggly goof ball, not removed soon enough. Please, no down-home (you have Paula) or yackity-yack dipsie-doodle partiers. No unkempt men or women, pr nose-rubbers.

4. Mom's Apple Pie says:

Yummy, looks like the ice cream sandwiches I had back in the day. I used to eat them like Oreos, I'd peel off the top cookie and lick the ice cream first. I love key lime pie! Your recipe sounds like it's worth the splurge! Thank you!

5. Jamie says:

Random comments here. I just want an ice cream sandwich.

6. Kat says:

This looks delicious! I'll have to try this :)

7. Nancy says:

Not sure what's going on with some of the comments – thought this page was about the Ice Cream Sandwich: Biggie Iggy!!! Only once did I find a chocolate ice cream one though. Love that Biggie Iggie!!

8. When I first saw this title Squeezed in the Middle | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. Hello there, I discovered your website by way of Google at the same time as searching for a comparable topic, your site got here up, it appears great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

9. I was reading through some of your articles on this site and I believe this website is real instructive! Continue putting up.

10. matildakruzack says:

Android is the legend that able to attract customers to focus their attention to this handy products. I think the newest version is Jelly-Bean currently that has a benefit like able to transfer file if we close it to another Android gadget.present value calculation