Food Network Magazine’s Chopped Champ!

by in Food Network Magazine, July 19th, 2012

Asian-Style Chicken Salad
A reader turned our Chopped mystery basket into this amazing chicken dinner (pictured above).

In our April issue, we turned the tables on Chopped host Ted Allen and asked him to transform our own mystery basket — containing frozen cherries, peanut butter, sauerkraut and chicken breasts — into dinner. His chicken-peanut curry soup was a hit, so we challenged readers to beat him at his own game. Colleen Mundwiler of Grand Rapids took the prize with this grilled cherry-marinated chicken salad tossed in a peanut dressing; she soaked and rinsed the sauerkraut to tone down its flavor. “I was not going to let any of the ingredients stump me.” she says.

Check out the recipe: Asian-Style Grilled Chicken Salad With Cherry-Peanut Dressing

What Would You Name These Ice Cream Cupcakes?

It’s nearly impossible to not get excited at the sight of these chocolate cupcakes. Filled with strawberry and vanilla ice cream and covered by ...

1. Theresa Ahern says:

I wish there was a basket that contained, beef tenderloin, russet potatoes, blu cheese and romaine lettuce. I would love to see how creative the chef's could be with these ingredients. Or, something similar like bacon, eggs, potatoes and bread. Knowing they can not use these ingredients to make the obvious, that would be a great Chopped for me to see. Thank you!

• lisa says:

unfortunately when they are given baskets like this 2or 3 of the 4 usually end up making the obvious, which is perhaps why they don't do it more often, i too though always like to see it when someone gets really creative with an ingredient

2. MPMom says:

I've also always wanted to see what they can do with a basket of really average items — like chicken breast, beans, potatoes or rice, etc.

3. Nubee56 says:

I like how the "prep" time on the recipe is over an hour….we all know on Chopped they're only given 20-30 mins!

4. John says:

It would be great to have a show where the ingredients were common pantry items–i.e. canned chicken or tuna, Rice-A-Roni, macaroni and cheese, jelly, mayonnaise, etc. They always use some outrageous ingredient (or ingredients) that are uncommon supermarket items. This week it was Chinese mayonnaise. Where the hell can you purchase this? I've never seen it ANYWHERE!

5. Jeanne says:

I've always wanted to see some of the Chopped winning recipes. Thank you! I'll have to sub almond butter for the peanut butter but I think it'll be even better with the cherry element.

6. lisrey21 says:

I would love to see Chopped hold a competition with home cooks. It'd be interesting to see what type of awesome dishes they could come up with!

7. Crystal Perry says:

Sent in mine, did it in 34 minutes. I thought it was awesome, but it didn't win. Dang. Hoping they'll do this contest again!

8. Crystal Perry says:

Oh, and would love to see the top ten entries, just to see what other home cooks did!

9. michelle says:

I just LOVE CHopped, try to never miss it. BUT!!!!!!!!
    Has anyone else ever noticed on the "clock" that, outside the clock on the rim, the design looks like little cockroaches spinning round and round!!! It really turns my stomach and I can't imagine that no one else has not noticed it.

10. When I first saw this title Food Network Magazine’s Chopped Challenge Champion | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something informative to read?