What to Watch: Chopped Grill Masters This Sunday

by in Shows, July 19th, 2012

ted allenIt’s grill or be grilled when Chopped heads to the Wild, Wild West for its newest special, Chopped Grill Masters. Tune in this Sunday at 10pm/9c to watch the first four competitors battle it out on the grill for a chance at the $50,000 grand prize. These grilling professionals will face not only the dreaded mystery basket of ingredients, but the elements as well, as the competition takes place outside in the harsh Arizona desert.

Watch as host Ted Allen and your favorite judges, Amanda Freitag, Marc Murphy and Aarón Sánchez, don their boots and spurs and head out West for the most heated Chopped showdown yet.

Hone your own skills on the grill by checking out all the great tips and recipes on Food Network’s Grilling Central, then tune in this Sunday, July 22, at 10/9c to catch all the action in the first epic face-off. Who will win and who will be chopped? Contestants, fire up your grills!

Caption It: Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off Gets Sandwiched

On this week’s Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, Sandwich King and The Kitchen co-host Jeff Mauro stops by to judge the kids’ creations, whi...

1. Jim says:

I always thought Chopped had only "real" chefs or at least food experts. What happened? I know 3 of the 4 people and out of the 4 only 2 would be considered experts at what they do. Is it totally for entertainment only now or were y'all just sold a bill of goods?
    I watch Chopped all the time, please get back to having only pros otherwise it just cheapens it.

2. mudclam says:

Grill Masters is a fine, fun piece of fluff, but when do new episodes of our regular Chopped begin?

3. @maecta1 says:

I have followed the program chopped for awhile now, and have enjoyed all of the variations of it. But, there is one twist I would actually pay for to see. A chopped involving the three judges in the panel competing against each other. That my dear producers would be something to see.

4. Shannon says:

I am looking forward to the Sunday line up this week!! Chopped Food network Stars followed by the finale of Food Network Star and lastly Chopped Grill Masters. It's going to be a good night. Very entertaining.

5. Corey says:

This is going to be amazing..I can't wait!

6. Patrick says:

They need to learn to watch the taped comments by the contestants, you can tell whose getting chopped by what they say on camera prior to the chop. They are giving it away. The last most confident clip gets the axe.
    Still love the show, its a DVR standard!!

7. john says:

Galen should be on chopped. Not chopped grill masters. He is a great chef, but is no grill master. Ray is what grilling is all about, love, passion, and American pride! Good work sir!

• Jan says:

I agree. Why is it that some "trained" chefs are such culinary snobs looking down their noses at canned and frozen ingredients?

• Stephanie says:

That guy was a jerk all around. Not only was he looking down on the mystery ingredients, but he was also looking down on the other grill masters. He was acting like such an arrogant prick, sticking his nose up in the air like he was better than everybody. Reminds me of the male version of Penny from Food Network Star. And we all know how everyone "loves" her, right?

• saipanhny57 says:

My problem with Chef Galen was he didn't even use the frozen french fries at all, which I would have thought was a violation of the rules. He ended up using what he called "real potatoes". Just because they are frozen doesn't change the fact that they are still real potatoes. Isn't it a requirement to use the basket ingredients? I've never seen them switched out like that before.

8. JMH says:

I agree with John. Galen would be an excellent contestant for "Chopped". I know they must pick only certain "blurbs" from the contestants taped comments. The ones they chose to air from Galen did not shed a very good light on him. Yes, we should be proud of our talents, gifts, skills and hard work getting there, but the things he said and the attitude he had was a boastful arrogant pride vs a true humble pride. This is the kind of pride meant in "Pride cometh before the fall".) I must say in the "blurbs" showing the contestants conversing amongst themselves Galen was not boastful, it appeared to be only said behind the others backs. It was not just his boasting of his accomplishments as a chef, but his lack of respect for the other contestants by his comments about them. He has studied and worked with well known chefs from around the world and showed some very impressive skills and techniques, had beautiful presentations, but techniques and and presentation was not the only things being judged. What the judges seem to think is most important is the taste. When I go to a restaurant I don't see the techniques the chef is using. Yes, the presentation comes into play, as we all first "taste" our food by it's appearance before we take a bite.. But I have tasted some food that look so amazingly scrumptious to my eyes only to be totally disappointed once I take a bite of it. Galen stated that he was out of his element in the outdoor grilling setting. He even complained about the dust, spiders, etc when he was asked by a judge what he thought of the challenge. Heavens sake! It's an outdoor grilling competition he entered. Where else would the setting be! I think he may have come into this competition with the attitude that his background and experience would make him a shoe-in to win. But his experience is in a elegant food preparation. This is where he shines. Not campfire, outdoor grilling. Ray said it best when he stated, "I don't mean any disrespect to Galen, but this is my house". This man knows how to cook on a grill in a rustic setting. This is where he shines. I thought I was very respectful and showed gracious losing when Galen hugged Ray when he lost. This was a great example to show and teach his young children. The arrogant prideful things said were not.

• Jim says:

From talking with several people who've been on Pitmasters I know the producers urge certain people to act a certain way and ask them to amp it up if it's too low key, they have to get some kind of drama going to keep eyeballs on the screen. I'd imagine Galen is nothing like he was portrayed on the show and deserves the respect for his skills that he has earned, it's a pity he was chosen to be the bad guy. I'm also guessing he was less than amused to be paired with people who were obviously "lacking" in culinary skills or knowledge of any type.
      James Beard award? Chef. Written several cookbooks and won many championships? Chef. Can't filet a fish or deal with veggies? You decide.
      What I don't get is the misuse of the term "chef". If you've used tongs a few times does that make you a chef? Cook? Maybe but hardly a chef!

Dr. BBQ had it right, "I may not eat salad but I certainly know how to make one".

9. CTDebbie says:

enjoyed the show last night and was pleased with the winner. when I saw the commercials for the show, I wanted to watch because of Dr BBQ. I hope that the following episodes have real grill masters and not snobby chefs and those who can't cook veg. really?
    Use the chefs for the in studio shows. This was a special competition, so stick to the theme and all will be well.

10. Stella says:

So upset with judging criteria. Clearly the judges vote for who they want to win not who deserves to win. I think they should judge without knowing which chef cooked what dish or fill out a form after each dish ranking them on flavor, creativity and appearance so they can't change their minds at the end to get their favorite to win. Just asking for fairness and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person noticing the unfair judging.

• Reggie813 says:

Agree the show has changed silly that they ask contestant why should you win. They also clearly pick the underdog evn when the other contestant transforms an ingredient in an amazing way. In chopped champion the NYC female chef had an amazing desert and the female judge coaxed the underdog along- then of course the underdog won – grill masters same thing – clearly NYC chef should have won instead of the contestant with a desert taco!!!

• Qwonk says:

The man who won did transform his ingredients better than Galen did..Galen's olives were not good Smoked mashed were good but needed sauce for moisture … ooh big deal open a cookie and melt the marshmallow.. Making BBQ sauce out of sauerkraut juice like his competition did now that is a real WOW!