Chopped: Food Network Star Edition

by in Shows, July 22nd, 2012

chopped food network star edition
Before tuning into the much-anticipated finale of Food Network Star tonight at 9/8c to find out which contestant — Ivan, Michele, Martie or Justin — will finally have their culinary dreams realized, watch a special episode of Chopped airing at 8/7c. Watch as past FN Star winners Jeff Mauro, Melissa d’Arabian, Aarti Sequeira and Amy Finley face the dreaded chopping block, judged by this year’s Star mentors Bobby Flay, Giada De Laurentiis and Alton Brown. With unusual ingredients, you can certainly expect the unexpected from this showdown.

While Aarti has competed on Chopped once before, this will be Melissa’s and Jeff’s first time each on the show. “Food Network Star was still pretty fresh in my mind and I was anxious about doing another food competition,” Jeff says of being a contestant on Chopped. Jeff and Melissa both agree their first experience on the show was extremely stressful. “No matter who you’re up against in the Chopped kitchen, chances are you’re most likely battling yourself,” Jeff says. “We had a ton of fun and laughs during the process, though!” Aarti says that being on Chopped once before helped shape her mentality going into the show the second time around: “The last time I competed on Chopped, frankly I was so terrified of the whole thing that I couldn’t focus! This time, I decided to leave my ego at the door.”

Each of the stars will compete to win $10,000 for a charity of his or her choice. Jeff chose Opportunity Knocks, a local charity based in his neighborhood in Chicago. Aarti will compete on behalf of Central City Community Outreach, a charity whose mission is to influence and empower the lives of children, adults and families from Central City East (Skid Row) in Los Angeles. Melissa, who is competing for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, says her organization is particularly close to her, as she lost her mother to suicide at a young age. “For me, it’s all about awareness,” she says. “I want people to know that there’s a resource out there for them.”

Tune in for a Star-packed Sunday starting at 8/7c with Chopped: Food Network Star Edition and the season eight Food Network Star finale back-to-back.

Tell us: Which former Food Network Star are you rooting for on Chopped?

What to Watch: It’s One Big Party This Weekend on Food Network

Tune into Food Network for a weekend of fun as the chefs gear up for a variety of food-filled parties and competition shows....

1. Loy says:

It’s laughable that the judges are so matter of fact about guava seeds being inedible. As someone who grew up with guava trees in the backyard, I can say they could not be more wrong. And Giada really needs to check herself. What she makes aren’t exactly brilliant. And I seem to remember no one liking her dishes in the Iron Chef showdown.

2. Kimchi! says:

To Chopped producers: Have you ever had Kimchi in the basket? I know that might be a pretty easy one, but it would be interesting to put it in the basket with some other mystery ingredients :)

3. Ana Herrera says:

I would like to see Ted Allen as one of the star chefs to compete on the next star edition of Chopped!! Have one of the judges be host! And then perhaps have Ted BE a judge, at least once! I’d watch those episodes!! But then again, I DO watch all episodes anyway!!! But these episodes would be GREAT to watch too! C’mon!! Whatta ya say?!! PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!! I’ll be watching!

4. Suz says:

Chopped 50,000 dollar prize went to some one who made a salad and fried catfish, a plate of pasta and a cupcake. These judges are so full of themselves. What a bunch of jerks. I've watched my last chopped……..Ta Ta. nitwits

5. Katie says:

Seems to me that Aarti needed the publicity, so that's why she won. Melissa has been so successful but not Aarti. She shouldn't have won Food Network Star in the first place.

6. KenShannahan says:

There is something going on with Giada. I thought she was drunk on the pre-Thanksgiving show and there appeared to be something personal between Giada and Bobby Flay (NO accusations about what that might be). She is from an extremely wealthy Hollywood Ifamily and she's quite the elitist…althoug I'm sure she is afraid to compete for anything like Iron Chef.

I couldn't understand why on Chopped they didn't have the usual judges…was it because they wanted to guarantee an Arti win? I dislike Arti even more than Giada. Arti shouldn't have won…it was decided long before the compeition was over because Bob was quoted as saying they wanted someone with an eastern POV.

It seems to me a lot of the contests are decided before they begin. I was shocked that Alex G won Iron Chef Redemption after being outdone repeatedly during the contest. In any event, the outcome didn't surprise me at all and I seriously doubt the validity of all competitions on Food Network.

In my home, Food Network has gone the way of main network sitcoms. I'd rather watch paint dry.