This summer, Food Network’s Grilling Central is packed with recipes for the entire family’s taste buds, boasting the best in burgers, dogs, chicken and more all season long. But with so many recipes, where do you start? Each Friday, FN Dish is giving you a complete menu that is stress-free, and the star of this weekend’s spread is a selection of sweet fruit cobblers.
Light, warm and oozing with fresh flavor, cobblers are like pie’s younger sibling — they boast a tender fruit center and buttery pastry topping, but they’re far quicker and easier to prepare, as they don’t depend on the rolling of finicky dough. In fact, most cobbler toppings are made by simply dropping a crumbly flour-butter mixture atop the filling. Though you can make cobblers with whatever fruit is your favorite, we’re particularly excited about summertime varieties that celebrate the best tastes of the season. Check out Food Network’s top five fruit cobblers below, each a winning addition to your weekend cookout menu.
5. Mixed Berry Cobbler – A bit of orange zest helps to brighten the flavors of the berries without adding an overly citrus taste.
4. Blueberry and Nectarine Cobbler – Food Network Kitchens mixes in a dash of instant tapioca to its filling to offset the juice of ripe berries and prevent a soggy dessert.
3. Bourbon Peach Cobbler – Boasting cinnamon-laced spiked peaches, Bobby’s no-fuss dessert is baked until browned and served with cool vanilla ice cream.
2. Blackberry Cobbler – The Pioneer Woman’s six-ingredient cobbler is built upside down, with the batter forming the base of her dessert and the fresh blackberries on top.
1. Peach Cobbler – With almost 1,500 user reviews, Paula’s must-try cobbler (pictured above) is a simple Southern classic that’s loaded with sweet peaches.
Serve a scoop of these indulgent cobblers after a down-home menu of rich, creamy crab dip, saucy ribs and the Neelys’ five-star pasta salad.
Planning on making one of these dishes? Snap a photo and post it on Food Network’s Facebook wall.