3 Days to Open: Melt Mobile

by in Shows, July 20th, 2012

melt mobile
When Bobby Flay arrived at Diana and Darlene’s Melt Mobile food truck in Stamford, Conn., he wasn’t sure if this venture would ever take to the road — especially since the team had just three days until the opening. These two best friends quit their jobs to pursue this dream, but after mortgaging their homes, they were left with almost no money to open their business with. Before Bobby could consider the task complete, he needed to help the team fix these six crucial issues: organization, food knowledge, wait time, expediting, food quality and packaging.

Bobby left his mission saying that he felt Melt Mobile was “a well-oiled machine.” Is it still running that way? Has Darlene and Diana’s friendship withstood all the stress of opening a business? We checked in with Melt Mobile to see how things are going a few months after their visit from Bobby. Click play on the video below for a 3 Days to Open update.

More from 3 Days to Open:

Sticky’s Finger Joint (July 15)

Take Your Breakfast Out to Dinner for a Rich Risotto

Chopped, with its unconventionally combined ingredients, is all about the chefs’ creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. And this Chopped Dinner...

1. lisa says:

Man what a bunch of cry babies boo hoo i cant play a video. You may want to check out iswifter to play flash player content on an apple device . I like the fn , including drive-ins , diners and dives and love to watch i t with m y child. Some of you need to get a life or count your blessing.

• steve says:

It's nice to be able to afford a computer with enough horsepower to play videos while accomodating FN's poorly written scripts. But in these financially hard times, there are likely some folks who can't afford to upgrade their computers and other toys.

• Denise says:

Thanks Lisa, I had no idea about iswifter, I always just grab my laptop to look at flash player content. Thanks a million.

2. Richard says:

Bobby flay is the genuine pro on the Food Network One of a couple whom really show you how to prepare food. Too many "games" and not enough teaching. Of course this is only my opinion. I'm interested in learning, not really interested in seeing someone getting yelled at. I'm surprised that no one has knocked the blond fellow in Hell's Kitchen out yet. I know chefs are crazy and have tempers, but that goes too far. Really, who is going to stand there and be treated that way? Iron Chefs are incredible, Like I said, I like it when I can learn technique. Though a bad day on Food Network is better than a good day of Network News!!!!!

3. Kathy says:

I've watched the first two episodes (Sticky Fingers & Melt Mobile). From my point of view, I found it hard not to wish both businesses would fail because the some of the principals were so unlikeable. It's hard to cheer for their success when they act like such jerks.

• Am_I_Drooling says:

Shesssh, in these most difficult times, it's harsh to hear people wish budding new businesses ill and merely because you didn't like the way one of the principals spoke on the show.

• Joe says:

Exactly. It's unbelievable that these people are opening businesses, never mind in three days. How on earth are you opening in three days and you have absolutely nothing planned. It's almost as if the show starts as soon as they have the business idea. Things they haven't done three days out should have been done months ago. It's almost as if the show is scripted, hard to believe people are this dumb.

4. GrammyA85032 says:

Looks like Uncle Willy didn't make it to the update.
    right here!

5. Matt says:

Note to Food Network – the roman numeral at the end says "2007" instead of "2012"

6. HEJ says:

Why post a comment if it isn't gonna be nice. It's easy to just not watch the show if you don't like it. Too much negativity is what's wrong with our world today!!!

• Sean says:

I agree with you as people have no accountability for their comments. Some of this is scripted anyway to make the DRAMA . I think the show is great and most of the programming is very well produced. My whole family loves this network and is a Network the whole family can watch together.

• Mark says:

Negative comments can help the program become better. If every comment is positive it will continue to do the same things.

7. Dday says:

Great show, I think Bobby Flay is just the best! Best chef & great person seems genuinely kind. Food Network, I am glad to see a show that helps people and promote growth – in today's economy this is very nice to see. Keep up the good work Bobby – congrats on another Winning Show :)

8. Reevz says:

I think the show is great!!! Bobby is so calm and composed and his calmness can be seen even when he meets people who I feel are sssooooo irrritating. I would have yelled at them seriously… But, all in all, good job Bobby… you are one of my favourite people on Food network.

9. mlh says:

hmmmm, so how are they doing????????

10. Chris Meyer says:

Show is great! I am a former restaurant owner that had success and I cringe, cringe, cringe at everyone that thinks they can do this business. Even having owned a previously successful restaurant that I sold, I would absolutely LOVE to have someone like Bobby Flay help with the opening of a new place if I ever decide to do it again. It's important to do things right and I made plenty of mistakes with my first endeavor. Glad to see this mobile unit is doing so well!

• Am_I_Drooling says:

I think the restauranteurs who are lucky enough to have Bobby Flay advise them on how to open their restaurants, albeit brief, are incredibly lucky. His advice is incredibly helpful and well earned, but it looks like a terribly demanding job. Bobby, I hope they pay you well! ; -)