Chopped Heads West in a Five-Part “Grill Masters” Summer Battle

by in Shows, June 20th, 2012

chopped grill masters
You’ve seen Chopped, Chopped Champions and Chopped All-Stars. Now, Chopped is traveling to the Arizona desert for a special five-part themed series: Grill Masters, which premieres Sunday, July 22, at 10pm ET/PT. Over the course of five weeks of dry desert heat, 16 grilling professionals from around the country face off in this captivating Wild West showdown. The stage is set for the ultimate culinary feud with Chopped favorites Amanda Freitag, Marc Murphy and Aarón Sánchez at the judging table, and astonishing mystery ingredients and tremendously talented competitors. One chef from each preceding duel makes it to the final fiery face-off, and when the dust clears, the greatest grilling pro of all will walk away with a $50,000 grand prize.

Episode schedule:

Grill Masters: Part 1 – Sunday, July 22, at 10pm ET/PT
Fire up the grills, y’all! In this first-of-its-kind Chopped grilling tournament, the competition heads west for a fierce, five-part showdown for a $50,000 grand prize.
Competitors: Ray Lampe (Florida), Jennifer Duncan (Arizona), Tom Duncan (Arizona), Galen Zamarra (New York City)

Grill Masters: Part 2 – Sunday, July 29, at 9pm ET/PT
Four more grill masters step up to the challenge for a chance to compete in the finale. Some delicious Italian surprises await the finalists, but perfect desserts will be difficult to execute in a windy and intense final round.
Competitors: Sam Choy (Hawaii), Nicole Davenport (Texas), Carey Bringle (Tennessee), Dushyant Singh (Arizona)

Grill Masters: Part 3 – Sunday, August 5, at 9pm ET/PT
Advancing past the first round for these four masters of the open flame will require a lot of hard work in just 20 minutes.
Competitors: Robyn Lindars (Florida), Timothy Grandinetti (North Carolina), Ernest Servantes (Texas), Doug Keiles (New Jersey)

Grill Masters: Part 4 – Sunday, August 12, at 9pm ET/PT
The final four grill masters face off for the last slot in the finale. When the two remaining chefs open up the last basket and find every meat lover’s worst nightmare, they must attempt to put their feelings aside and grill up some terrific desserts.
Competitors: Chad Ward (Florida), Kent Rollins (Texas), Corinne Trang (Connecticut), Rick Browne (Washington)

Grill Masters: Finale – Sunday, August 19, at 9pm ET/PT
The champions of the first four competitions cowboy up to compete for the $50,000 prize in the grand finale. The final two chefs will draw from family memories when they open up the last basket and must grill some do-or-die desserts.
Competitors: The prior episode’s winners

Tags:

Explore America’s Best-Ever Pizzas, BBQ, Breakfasts and Burgers on All-New Series

When you consider classic eats like pizza, barbecue, breakfast and burgers, there’s surely no shortage of restaurants at which to find them; fro...

1. Reuben says:

This should be interesting! I am watching BBQ Grillmasters series now. They are also offering a $50,000 prize. Myron Mixon is one of the judges.

2. Sallie says:

I really thought I liked the show, but after watching it for awhile, I feel that they are prejudice! I am caucasian and even I think when they have a really great Afroamerican chef on they always give the prize to the Caucasian. We even make bets in our house on who they will pick and I am usually right it's never the Aframerican person. Very rarely do they win, in fact in all the tomes I have watched this show In have only seen one win. Forget which episode, but he was a large man. I watched the showntonite and clearly the Afroamerican should have won! But guess what he did not and the skinny little white guy who never smiled and had a horrible desert win! I almost fell off my chair. I decided I will not watch this show any longer. It must be fixed ahead is time. Too bad cause I thought it was real interesting :-(

• Bella says:

I have watch this show for some time now too but I don't agree w. your statement about Afroamericans not winning. I've seen many who have won in the past. You have to take into consideration that there are a lot of different ethnic groups competing (not only African Americans and Caucasians–and a Caucasian person does not always win. What it comes down to is the competitor's technique, flavoring, etc ( every judge have their criteria on who deserves to win (and also taste preference-they're entitled to that) and I don't feel it is based on race. Just my opinion. By the way I am not a Caucasian person (:

• Greg says:

You have served us a correct observation. The season one and season two "Chopped Champions" victors (a, k. a. 'Last Chopped Champion Standing') were both African-American. Moreover, Sallie's theory was disproved on Iron Chef America when the season one's champion, runner-up and Judge Amanda Freitag defeated Iron Chef Garces' team [I cannot recall the secret ingredient, though].

• Drew says:

If your not from Africa your not african american… I don't say I am european american or russian american or irish american. I am just american. The show is not about the color of skin. When I see a white person lose I don't think "oh he lost because he is the white guy." It is a cooking show, quit trying to play a race card. End point, if your from America your an American. The sooner everyone quits trying to single themselves out the sooner they will not be singled out.

Now in regard to grilling chopped, I CAN NOT WAIT! I love grilling and outdoor cooking more than any other style.

• Lee says:

funny I actually agree with you in the fact that I'm American and am not nor have I or any of my known family ever been to Africa…That said I feel a RACIST vibe in your comments and that is sad because we (society) put race on every thing apply for a job, loan, apartment, anything and they ask your race? why aren't we all in the HUMAN race? we didn't create the "race card" and it's played all day every day but if a minority has the higher card (REAL RACE ISSUE) its a problem?
            As for the shows I love them all and who cares who wins its fun watching and seeing good cooks get creative. I'm good but not a great cook but would love a challenge like some of the ones they have thrown at them and some of the chicks are nice on the eyes and a good looking woman who can cook, can you say Rachael Ray!!

• Sam says:

Lee,

I believe they are required to put race on an employment application so that they can prove they're not racist. Weird, right?

• Ann Dunlap says:

afro is a hair style, isn't it African-American?

• Alvin says:

I somewhat agree with your opinion while yes it is very few and far between when one does win something is a little fishy. It all boils down to the judges and like another person said if you are looking for a certain taste or technique it is rare to find. If you they did incorperate another "judge" it may make a difference in opinions. Also it is rare when their judgements equal their chops. Slowly trying to stop watching….

• Jaro says:

I don’t know where this prejudice theory comes from, perhaps you just don’t watch enough episodes… and yeah the irony is that the winners of the 2nd and 3rd chopped champions events were African American or in Madison’s case African British American! And you had Marcus Samuellson win the 2nd Chopped AllStars event…

Anyways this is supposed to be about Grilling and I can’t wait for this one.. I’ve been loving the theme episodes lately, and this Grillmasters Event is just a great way to keep the show fresh.. Also its the first time they are outside of their New York set… also they should feature more chefs located on the west in general most have been East and South region chefs, with West and Midwest chefs everyone once in a blue moon… but this Grillmasters event is featuring chefs from all over… except I’m shocked not one is from Cali!

• Kelli says:

You're delusional! One of the most moving episodes was the black gentleman who won Chopped after getting out of rehab! I cried like a baby, and so did the judges. Pay attention!

• lou says:

Thats bologna!! The jamacian guy won not too long ago. Maybe you ought to follow the show before talking crap about it. They judge the food not the chefs.

3. Jeff says:

Ray Lampe? Dr. BBQ? how can he lose a grilling contest…

4. Danny says:

I saw the commercial for this series today and recognized Rawhide Western Town just outside of Phoenix, I know Chopped does not have a studio audience but it would have been nice to see the taping of these shows and since it is hot hot hot here in the Arizona Desert I am wondering when they were taped from the picture I can guess it was not in the last couple of weeks the judges and Ted Allen would have melted in those clothes.

5. Guest says:

The ultimate winner should be invited to battle Bobby Flay on Iron Chef!

• Guest says:

Cowboy Kent Rollins actually has already challenged Bobby Flay (one of my favs) on "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" The challenge was Chicken Fried Steak. Cowboy Kent won! <another new Fav!

6. Louis Felton says:

This Galen dude is not a grill master and he is awfully arrogant. I sure hope Ray Lampe wins…

7. Laura says:

Any info on the music? Who wrote it? Is it original for the show or from something else? Thanks!

8. Spencer Krsak says:

I think it would be an awesome show if you could put Kent Rollins in his element on the open range with his chuck wagon and somehow produce a show. I would watch it.

9. Lisa says:

I'm very disappointed in the grillmaster judges. In one episode they chopped some one for undercooked ingredients. Then in this episode one was chopped for raw sardines. Yet they chose Ernest for champ because his sardines were a little better than Kents'. Yet Ernest had raw boc choy, his potatoes were overwhelming the steak dish & he never grilled anything when he made the dessert & to add to that his pound cake was soggy. WOW!!!! Sorry to say the judges Blew this one. Three strikes & you're out, well not in this episode. It was clear to me that Amanda had her mind made up before it was all said & done.

10. Barbie says:

Bring the cowboy Back. He rocks. Give him another chance or his own show.

• George West says:

I agree with Barbie. I was amazed how well he did and his down home type of a guy he was. Give him a show for sure!

• Reyna says:

Right! I already checked. The food network will not take suggestions from us, the general public, only a production company, for show ideas : ( There is something soooo special about Kent Rollins! He makes your heart happy, and his rustic skills are are not too bad either ; )