Top 5 Kitchen Gadgets of the Past 10 Years, $10 or Less

by in Shows, May 10th, 2012

invention hunters

by Steve Greenberg (pictured right)

As an Invention Hunter (aka product scout), I’m always searching for the next great kitchen gadget. For the purpose of this blog, let’s define “gadgets” as those inexpensive must-have tools that fit in your kitchen drawers. Here are my picks for the top five kitchen gadgets under $10:

Norpro Egg Rite Timer ($5) — Throw out your grandmother’s egg timer: This high-tech egg timer, isn’t really a timer at all. Shaped like an egg, you place it in the pan with your eggs and it calculates cooking stages by temperature, not by inaccurate time. It automatically adjusts for the number of eggs, amount of water and even the altitude. Egg-cellent, huh?

Mastrad Silicone Steam Cooker ($10) — Forget the old iron or aluminum steam cookers of yesteryear, silicone is today’s go-to kitchen material. This steam cooker is super convenient because you don’t have to use water or add oil to cook your food. All you have to do is stick it in the microwave for a few minutes and you get a quick, healthy meal.

Misto Olive Oil Sprayer ($10) — With more than 6 million sold, this is certainly one of those products that makes me say, “Why didn’t I think of that?” Misto is a non-aerosol spray pump. Just add your favorite oil and spray on pasta, salads, pans, meats — you name it. With this oil sprayer you get the flavor of the oil, but you don’t have to use as much oil as before and that means less calories and fat.

Microplane Classic Series Zester/Grater (starts at $9) — Believe it or not, this kitchen multifunctional must-have started as a woodworking tool. Carpenters like it and chefs love it. The microplane is perfect for zesting chocolate, hard cheeses, lemon, ginger and garlic. This tool is “grate.”

Good Cook Safe Cut, Sidecut Can Opener ($10) — Talk about innovation. For years, can openers opened cans and in the process created cans and lids that were knife-sharp. Ouch. Then someone came up with the brilliant idea to open the can from the side, below the edge. So now there’s no sharp lid, no sharp can. The kitchen is safe again. A sharp inventor came up with this smooth idea. If you still have an old-fashioned can opener, my advice: Can it.

So how many of these do you own? And what must-have gadgets did I leave out? Let me know by posting your feedback in the comments below.

Watch me try to find the next great kitchen gadget with Patrick Raymond (pictured left) on Invention Hunters, Monday, May 14, 9pm ET/PT.

What to Watch: Let Food Network Magazine Take You On a Cross-Country Culinary Tour

Join Bobby Flay and Food Network Magazine on a cross-country culinary expedition to find the most-delicious dishes in the country....

1. Vicki says:

I saw the Supersnacker on your show and wondering how can get it. Mom thought the "freshies" was the best because we waste too much food. This is a perfect show for a kid who just finished his engineering unit in 3rd grade.

Great inspiration for my two litte inventors.

• Steve Greenberg says:

I don't think the Sip-n-snacker is available online (yet)
      And to your second point–I'm really thrilled if our show does inspire future inventors– if that happens– I couldn't be happier.
      Keep watching– I really think you will enjoy this Monday's show– I think its one of our best
      Thanks again

2. Marv says:

I'm a big fan of invention shows.  Watched "American Inventor," "Pitchmen," Shark Tank," and many more.  "Invention Hunters" actually brings the heart, the stories, and the psyche of the inventors into the mix unlike all the others.

Steve Greenberg and Patrick Raymond take a step back, and allow the inventors and their stories to be the stars of the show.  And like a supportive wind under their sails, or shall I say – sales ;-), they attempt to take these garage inventors into the big time.  Some of the stories are gut-wrenching, like the other night's episode, where the mom who sunk 4 years worth of college tuition into a venture that unfortunately didn't make it to the big time.  To see the sad faces of all the members of the family :-( It was so sad – but these folks aren't just left in the dust – and the hosts let them off gently, but not before instilling them with the confidence to keep on keepin' on.  Just by appearing on this show, I have high hopes these inventors will find deals elsewhere thanks to the great exposure.  Bravo to all the inventors brave enough to dream, and savvy enough to make it on "Invention Hunters!"

• Steve Greenberg says:

Hey Marv–

Thanks so much– I really appreciate the kind words–
      Make sure you catch this Monday's show— I think its one of our best !!!

3. Justin says:

Awesome show. A lot of fun to watch. Especially liked the segment with the sauce melts. Do you know where I can buy them? Tried to find them on line but no such luck. Please let me know as me and my burger are waiting :)

• Steve Greenberg says:

Justin–thanks for watching
      And having tried the Sauce Melts I can tell you they are AMAZING !!!
      Unfortunately–that inventor is only selling his product to restaurants and not to the general public.
      BUT I think its still worth contacting the inventor– check out his website http://www.saucemelts.com/
      I hope that helps– and please try to catch this Monday's episode– its really one of our best.

4. DC says:

Fun show but, how about some links to allow us to actually purchase the items that have been picked up (as well as links to those that maybe haven’t)?

If necessary, put the usual legalese junk in stating you’re not responsible for the products or the representations, etc. and that everyone uses same at their own risk, blah, blah, blah. No one will read it anymore than one does EULA licensees for software …

• Steve Greenberg says:

I TOTALLY agree with you– those decisions are not mine–they come from the Food Network– I can tell you that, if the show goes into another season, the Food Network will start to sell the products–at least that's what I'm hearing. BUT in the meantime– you can google most of the products–and almost all of the inventors have web pages that sell their products– I hear Mary is selling tons of her Mary's Marinating Sticks online.
      Thanks for watching–and please try to catch this Monday's episode– its really one of our best.

5. ron schommer says:

need info on cat jar opener on show of 6-11-12 want to buy it is just i want please contact me
    at rjlock@sbcglobal.net or rj 1129 bath ln vta,ca93001 or 805 701-4838 thanks

6. Patty Hustad says:

I am also interested in the jar opener, instead of visiting a retirement place you should have gone to the wing of a dr's office that deals with arthritis patients. I want one of those, where do I get one? phustad2@sbcglobal.net.

• Hey Patty
      Thanks for watching
      Yep, Bob sells his Purrfect Opener on a website check it out at http://www.purrfectopener.com/
      AND I agree–testing it with arthritis patients would have been interesting–but we wanted to know how it would do with seniors in general, not just that niche. New episode tonight– I hope you'll be watching. Thanks again

7. Paul R says:

Loved all the episodes and sad the shows end is nearby. Invention shows that provide insight to the process and showing the inventors in a good light is hard to come by. Hopefully the Food Network will pick you all up for another season. Congrats on this season as well.

• Paul– thanks for all of the kind words– I'm really proud of our show–it celebrates creativity, ingenuity, and innovation— no tables are flipped over, no swearing, no backstabbing–I hope the Food Network recognizes what a gem they have here and pick us up for another season. Thanks so much for watching

8. mare60 says:

I love invention hunter. I watched last nights show with mary's magical pan. can you tell me where I can purchase her pan? Thanks

9. Michael D. says:

I love your show on June 18th and I would like to find the egg storage invention.

10. Scott says:

I really enjoyed this season of invention hunters. I am looking forward to watching Steve and Patrick on the next season of invention hunters.