Restaurant Revisited: Pollard’s

by in Shows, May 30th, 2012

On the latest episode of Restaurant: Impossible, Robert headed to Memphis to help Pollard’s, a barbecue restaurant that was at risk of going up in smoke. The eatery was experiencing growing pains after upgrading from a takeout operation to a giant dine-in establishment. We checked in with owners Tarrance and Torria Pollard to see how business is going after their Restaurant: Impossible intervention.

A few months after Robert’s Restaurant: Impossible makeover, sales at Pollard’s Bar-B-Que have grown an impressive 20 percent.

Torria says their customers love the new decor, “especially the brightness.” Social networking has been a key ingredient in their recipe for success as the pair has been able to use Facebook and Twitter to successfully get the word out about their new location.

Their customers love the smaller, easier-to-read new menu. The Pollards have kept most of Robert’s menu items and added a few new dishes.

Tarrance took Robert’s advice to heart and has tweaked his family barbecue sauce to make it more his own. Torria credits the show for convincing Tarrance to “open his mind” to change: “He admits that Robert was right on a lot of things.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

University Grill (May 23)

Ristorante Barolo (May 16)

Pappas (May 9)

Mama Lee’s (May 2)

Pelican Grill (April 25)

Valley View (March 14)

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Food Network in November

Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! And it’s certainly not something we take lightly here at Food Network. Why? Because it’s a...

Comments (1,040)

1. James H. says:

Can we get back to Pollards please?
    I was just there and he's gone back to his old ways. Everything he learned is gone.
    He'll be out of business soon.

2. Cathy says:

So the owner has "tweaked" his "family" recipe? So, back to adding stuff to the pre-made bottle sauce rather than completely fresh sauce like Robert showed the owner? Pollards is run by a man too stubborn to change. A 20% increase in sales will not save a sinking ship when the original sales numbers were so poor. The best the wife can hope for is to sell the business before the slight bump in sales from the show publicity disappears. Otherwise, they will very likely still lose that nice house that Mr. Pollard refused to let Robert set foot in….

3. The very core of your writing while appearing reasonable originally, did not really settle properly with me personally after some time. Somewhere within the paragraphs you actually managed to make me a believer but just for a while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your jumps in logic and one would do well to fill in all those breaks. When you can accomplish that, I could certainly end up being amazed.

4. Buzz Ra says:

If Mr. Pollard seriously listened to the RIDICULOUS advice to finish the ribs in the oven, he is destined to fail at BBQ. The sauce and the rub matter little if the meat is not cooked correctly. Chef Irvine should not give advice on BBQ until he learns to cook it.

• rebeccaandtom says:

Typical reaction of the amateur no-nothing when their pet ideas are challenged and the reason the chef irvines of the world have such an uphill battle every single time.

• @Sonic_98 says:

The orgininal poster has a point. Ask someone who competes or even look at what the experts on FN say, they all say rubs and sauces are great, but they can't overcome poor cooking. I think Irvine had some good ideas, but even he didn't like the hour cooked ribs. Why not change that?

• Pandora says:

I will tell you why. Mr Pollard was not open minded on anything and set in his ways. Mr pollard is one of many who have much trouble with change and to have to much thrown at him he would have shut down more than he already did the day Chef Irvine showed up at his house. It was to much change at once and some people have trouble with that. Mr. Pollard is also a prideful man. chef Irvine picked up on that. Its hard to have someone come in to your restaurant and tell you everything you have been doing the past 16 years is wrong even if it is 100% correct. The show is fast paced with much to do and much change in 2 days. Some people cant handle that. I think Chef Irvine did the right thing not to push Mr Pollard to much. It is not all about just cooking and how you run the business, it is about the people to. There are many factors involved and i think Chef Irvine does a phenomenal job of helping people. he also is very good at sizing up people and knows what strategy to take with them. Chef Irvine was not happy with the way the ribs were being cooked and he even said so, but he did his best to try help a man who was closed minded and set in his ways and didnt want to hear what needed to be changed. I knew Mr Pollard would go back to his old ways and I think Chef Irvine did to.

• Chris says:

Maybe he was having such an uphill battle with just changing the sauce that he decided not to push it anymore than that lol…

• Savan says:

Buzz Ra apparently has no idea how to cook real bbq… he is a poser.

• Pandora says:

hahahhaha serious? what makes you the absolute professional on BBQ? The meat was cooked correctly and the sauce and rub does matter for flavor and juiciness of the meat., if the meat has no flavor then its fail. All three things are important for balance. Let me tell you something. I am 100% positive that chef Irvine knows a hell alot more about BBQ than you do. Your comment is just a joke, really it is. I cannot believe you think you know more. lolololol. Chef Irvine is a CHEF you idiot, Take a look at his credentials before you make a comment like that. you are a fail.

5. Guest says:

Not knowing anything about Chef Robert being there, I went to Pollards for lunch, on my
    way through Memphis. It kills me to say this, but I was the only one there and the food
    was terrible. A few weeks later, I saw the R.I. episode. The owner learned nothing about
    food. Memphis has some great BBQ spots and this place has no chance. Did I mention that
    I was the only one there?

• CNielson says:

That's what I guessed. It was clear to anyone with eyes to see that the owner was in pathological denial and that FN was glossing over the fact that the RI failed because none of the changes would stick.

• Johnny D Connor says:

While watching this episode I don't know how Robert kept himself from choking this stupid, stubborn, brainless idiot!!! He kept saying that he thinks his BBQ is good, Well my friend likes pickles on her peanut butter sandwich , but I don't think she should open a business and sell them. And worse of all blow all that money!

6. I wanted to follow up and let you know how much I cherished discovering your blog today. I will consider it the honor to do things at my office and be able to operate on the tips discussed on your web site and also participate in visitors’ reviews like this. Should a position involving guest article author become on offer at your end, remember to let me know.

7. Shame on You says:

Clearly someone from Pollard's is coming onto this blog and posting ridiculous messages in order to push any negative commentary off the front page. While understandable that they would want to adopt such a tactic, the way in which they are doing it is so transparent that it's almost funny. Good luck to you, Pollard's.

• See it all the time says:

You're seeing spam comments from spambots that direct traffic back to their own sites/products. I run a blog and see these all the time. The FN site apparently has a terrible filter that allows these posts to come through. I don't think it's Pollard's fault.

8. Just the facts says:

Why do you folks waste our time by posting nothing to do with Pollards. Come to realize nothing but a bunch of idiots posting here

9. jlhede says:

Is there some way to upgrade the spam filter, or moderate the posts better? A lot of these posts I recognize from my own blog (which has nothing to do with food). They use search engines to find sites like this, and then flood it with nonsense messages.