Restaurant Revisited: Pappas

by in Shows, May 9th, 2012

Pappas Restaurant

Robert’s latest mission brought him to Pappas, a family-owned Greek restaurant in Benicia, Calif. Feuding brothers, a drab interior and lackluster food were leading this business toward extinction. We checked in with the owners to see how things are going a few months after their Restaurant: Impossible makeover.

Pappas Restaurant has seen an increase in sales of more than 50 percent versus the same time last year. The added revenue is helping Michael, aka Pappa, pay off his tax debts: “I see a great future ahead,” he says.

Pappas is seeing an increase in new customers and some old customers from the early days are finding their way back to the restaurant. They love the blue and white decor and are curious to try the new and improved Greek-inspired menu.

The head chef, T, is no longer working at Pappas but her old competitor, Patrick, has seamlessly moved into the role. Patrick has some great ideas and has become a strong leader to the kitchen staff.

Andreas is working harder and longer, cooking in the mornings and taking over general duties during most of the evening shift. Nicholas is still working in the front of the house and trying to find the right position for himself at Pappas. “Now I’m able to hear, firsthand, what the customers have to say about our food and service,” he says.

Brothers Nick and Andreas are still trying to work on mending their relationship. “I learned that family can really pull together when they need to,” says their dad, Michael. “We’re working together more and trying not to sweat the small stuff.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Mama Lee’s (May 2)

Pelican Grill (April 25)

Valley View (March 14)

Not-So-Crispy Rice Treats — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

For the Cutthroat Kitchen judges to be wowed by a dish in front of them, the offering must be not only appealing to the eyes and tastes, but it must b...

1. Julie - Florida, says:

Who was Tee? Did I miss something? Or was he another cook that walked out after R.I. crew left?

2. albear says:

Great show that my wife and I enjoy watching. I replied to some of Elaine's comments about slow service and Elizabeth's about a tiger not changing their stripes. I am amazed that aren't more comments about the Health Department letting a place getting like this.

3. Gerry says:

I travel a lot on gulches therefore I eat out frequently all over the country. It never ceases to amaze me how some upper end places can serve reheated frozen food and charge a fortune for it. I went to one place and ordered "Traditional English Fish and Chips" what I actually got was frozen fish sticks and frozen fries. I see this one quite often in the show. I don't serve this stuff at home, why would I want to pay for it when Im out? The point Robert makes about the frozen stuff costing more should be common knowledge to anyone in the business. But really the public needs to take some of the blame. It amazes me how many people get served something that is wrong and do not say anything! It is so globally bad that it is what people expect.

4. stilltheone@juno.com says:

Typo, travel on buisness

5. kristinlusk says:

I really enjoyed this episode. Of all the ones I've watched, I found this one to be an emotional one for me. It was nice to see the brothers working together and getting along. Sad to hear that T didn't work out. Wonder what happened. Good thing Patrick was able to step in. Hopefully things continue to go well for the family and their restaurant.

• Susan says:

I really enjoyed the emotional part of this episode too. I also have to give kudos to the building/designer on this one. THIS WAS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST PHYSICAL REMAKES EVER on RI!!
      I was so impressed by this makeover- it was from drab & ugly to GLAMOROUS!
      I'm glad they are doing well- if I make it out to CA, I will have to check it out! :)

6. Beth says:

Great show Chef Irvine!! But I have to agree with those who don't like looking up what happens after Chef leaves. Please put updates back on the air !!! Thanks and keep up the good work !

7. he said says:

I similar to the significant data you supply with your reports.I’ll bookmark your blog site and test again here frequently.I am extremely totally sure I will gain knowledge of an awful lot of new things precise right here! Excellent luck to the future!

8. Angie says:

I went to papas last night, it was alright. I ordered the stuffed chicken on polenta. The polenta was out of this world unfortunelty it ward to I joy since the gravy that was poured over my food tasted like liquid salt!

9. Restaurant Stakeout says:

its not that had to implement security features to limit post from bots…this is crazy, call me mmm…