Restaurant Revisited: Pappas

by in Shows, May 9th, 2012

Pappas Restaurant

Robert’s latest mission brought him to Pappas, a family-owned Greek restaurant in Benicia, Calif. Feuding brothers, a drab interior and lackluster food were leading this business toward extinction. We checked in with the owners to see how things are going a few months after their Restaurant: Impossible makeover.

Pappas Restaurant has seen an increase in sales of more than 50 percent versus the same time last year. The added revenue is helping Michael, aka Pappa, pay off his tax debts: “I see a great future ahead,” he says.

Pappas is seeing an increase in new customers and some old customers from the early days are finding their way back to the restaurant. They love the blue and white decor and are curious to try the new and improved Greek-inspired menu.

The head chef, T, is no longer working at Pappas but her old competitor, Patrick, has seamlessly moved into the role. Patrick has some great ideas and has become a strong leader to the kitchen staff.

Andreas is working harder and longer, cooking in the mornings and taking over general duties during most of the evening shift. Nicholas is still working in the front of the house and trying to find the right position for himself at Pappas. “Now I’m able to hear, firsthand, what the customers have to say about our food and service,” he says.

Brothers Nick and Andreas are still trying to work on mending their relationship. “I learned that family can really pull together when they need to,” says their dad, Michael. “We’re working together more and trying not to sweat the small stuff.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Mama Lee’s (May 2)

Pelican Grill (April 25)

Valley View (March 14)

POLL: Your Preferred Meal at the Diner and More — Play Along with Hungry Games

The all-American diner: There really is no other place that serves as many options at nearly all hours of the day and night as the classic greasy spoo...

1. r hendry says:

This show had to be the most boring thing I have seen in a long time. New Jersey Shark Attack has tyler beat on this one……………cancel it please……………

• pete says:

I have to say the updates are not up to date. this restaurant is closed. we tried it once and it was ok but not great.

2. Terry says:

A couple of years ago I walked by a kitchen and saw a cook cooking. He was full of tattoo's arm were not covered, his hair was out, no net or anything, and he just looked greasy and dirty. I do not know what happened, but I ran to the kitchen and immediately got sick. I like when you go to restaurants and you are able to see the kitchen cooking and esp. like to see a chef/cook with a chef's coat on, white or black, does not matter and to see that they are all clean and kept looking. I am a good cook at home, but sometimes I like to go out to a nice restaurant and want to know that I am eating fresh food and it will be cooked by people that have taken precautions with themselves.

• Sandra Salchicha says:

I know what you mean but just because someone is wearing a Chefs outfit doesn't mean its a clean place. Even you cook at home and pick -n- Scratch your Ass while cooking, I have seen some Chefs in restaurants wearing a Chefs Coat and Hat but no wearing any pants when all the while wearing a Thong with Cowboy Boots with there Dong swinging back -n- forth closer to your Burger than you think Weiner Boy!

• JodyAgerton says:

Terry and Sandra, what does this have to do with Pappas, or Restaurant Impossible may I ask?

3. Naim says:

I am vastly blissful to interpret this. This is the kindly of details that needs to ensue known and not the unintentional cant that is at the supplementary blogs.

4. CK Leong says:

I like what RI said …. "You are looking at me like I got 3 heads!" ……. hahaha

5. Greetings! I’ve been reading your website for a while now and finally
    got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

6. TheChainsaw says:

Don't be angry. :( And, listen to your own advice.

Let me break that down for you so you're not more taxed than you already are:

First, if you have cable, you DO NOT already have internet. While nearly every cable company in the country also offers internet, not every cable subscriber can or does pay the additional charge for the service. Where $10 a month may not seem much to you, it is the difference between eating or not for many people. With many, many people now renting that did not previously do so, and with many apartment complexes and private landlords offering basic cable to renters, many people do not pay for the cable service they get.

That, incidentally answers also your statement (a wrong assumption by the way) that those who live hand to mouth may have cable for which they pay nothing.

Keep trying. There is no shame in ignorance. Choosing to be ignorant, however, is another matter. My advice to you is stop choosing to be so.

Oh, and don't hang targets you don't intend for anyone to shoot at. Recognize also when you are outgunned. Or, not; also your choice.

7. Barb34769 says:

Congrats to the happy couple. I was hoping to be his next wife. He has an incredible body!

8. beachinfrizzy says:

Hee hee, my 15 year old son is in awe of his muscles…'that guy is RIPPED!!!"

9. katherine says:

And in what way does this have to doi with the restaurant?