Restaurant Revisited: Barolo

by in Shows, May 16th, 2012

In Aptos, Calif., Robert and the Restaurant: Impossible team faced the daunting task of turning things around at Ristorante Barolo. Owners Giovanni Guerisoli and Cristina Locke struggled with the changing economy as well as family health problems, and could barely keep their 10-year-old business afloat. We checked in with the couple to see how things were going after Restaurant: Impossible.

Three months later, sales at Ristorante Barolo have increased by 37%. “The new decor and also all the publicity because of the show have brought new customers,” says Cristina. “People watch and really like Restaurant: Impossible.”

With Atilio in charge of the kitchen and Giovanni running the front of house, Cristina is finally able to spend more time with her children. “Atilio is doing a great job,” she says.  Despite her best efforts to reduce stress, Cristina recently suffered a stroke and is still recovering.  Because of the stroke, she was unable to finish cleaning out her office. When she recovers, she plans to ask Jessica to help her finish the task.

Giovanni’s health has remained a challenge for him, but he continues to run the front of the restaurant. “Giovanni is doing the best he can while still dealing with his health issues.” He never sold his collectibles at auction and continues to buy more.

“Doing the show was an amazing gift,” Cristina says. “I will be forever grateful for what Robert and the whole crew did for the restaurant and for my family.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Pappas (May 9)

Mama Lee’s (May 2)

Pelican Grill (April 25)

Valley View (March 14)

Families That Shop Together Stay Together: The Competition Goes Family Style on Guy’s Grocery Games

Read all about the special Guy's Grocery Games: Family Style competition coming up on Jan. 4....

1. Jim K says:

My wife and I ate there about 3 weeks ago and it was very good! Service was a bit slow, but the server was very friendly and helpful. I had the Salmon stuffed with Shrimp and Crab – and it was done perfectly…moist and delicious and just excellent! My wife had the Veal Picatta, which was also good – though not as good as the Salmon. Christina was working the front of the house and seemed fine – no sign of Giovanni. The new decor is holding up well and the place was clean and tidy. It was a Saturday night and we got there about 630pm – and there were several tables occupied, so they seem to be doing fairly well. We would certainly be willing to go back.

2. Some truly exceptional articles on this internet web site , thankyou for contribution.

3. I saw the show this morning. I can't believe the amount of junk they had in that place. You would have though some of the "antiques" were worth something but I guess not. Glad to see they finally cleared it out and opened up the restaurant to give it more space.

4. Jan Hulswit says:

Simply don't speak if you have nothing to say- this about hope for the operation to survive, not a forum for you to attempt to dazzle yourself with your insignificant boasting of what you may think is significant or even relevant to this establishment. If you we're successful in any arena of this industry, you would not express yourself as a small town local clown! Contribute something of value, or simply do not contribute.

5. Erica1970 says:

My mom and I just watched this episode and we were very happy for that family. Chef did a good job. However we both were very upset with how he talked to G. in front of customers. Very unprofessional.

6. sassfam1 says:

The restaurant is now listed for sale; guessing the "recently remodeled" refers to the RI makeover. http://businessesforsale.businessweek.com/Busines

Here's the listing description"
    "Located in the heart of Aptos, a historical monument Restorant Barolo s at the Bay View Hotel has been an ongoing tourist attraction with a history since 1870. The interior has been recently remodeled and gives their guests a bit of a taste of Italy. Outside patio can be leased separately. Currently it is used for weddings and other events. Wedding business along with the real estate may possibly be purchased separately. Buyers to verify financials and due diligence a must!"

7. Spam hater says:

Comments need to be moderated. Many are spam.

8. cleaning supplies really should have earth friendly organic ingredients so that they do not harm the environment**

• Renee says:

Cleaning supplies for restaurants must be approved by the local health departments. If they are not approved and being used, the owner stands a chance of having their business shut down until changes are made.

9. Howdy this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

10. Frank says:

I agree wih Dave about revealing to the viewer how the restaurant has improved after the renovations and assistance. I've just accessed FN to check on a few renovations and the web pages flickered and flickered and was slow going before they settled down enough for me to read what I was looking for. Not really user friendly – too much "stuff".

Doubt seriously if I ever do a follow up again online because of the the time wasted waiting for the "dancing" webpages to slow down. Still like the show, though.

• Lisa says:

I had the same problems with trying to find episode updates. It's extremely frustrating and I hate that I have to go to the web to see the end of an episode in which I've just invested an hour of my life. It gets more nd more aggravating each time. I'm outta here!