Restaurant Revisited: Pelican Grill

by in Shows, April 25th, 2012

Robert Irvine swooped into Seabrook, Texas, to help owners John and Laura Walker save their breakfast and lunch spot, the Pelican Grill. The Walkers filled us in on how business is going a few months after their Restaurant: Impossible makeover.

Three months later, the Pelican Grill is thriving with a 40 percent increase in business and expanded hours that include dinner service.

The success comes on the heels of a bizarre setback. One month after the renovation, a car crashed through the front door of the restaurant in the middle of the night, causing $6,000 in damages. Thanks to the generosity of friends and family, repairs were made quickly and the Pelican Grill remained closed for only eight days.

Suppliers now deliver food twice a week to the restaurant, giving John the time he needs to properly manage the front of the house. He makes just a few trips a week to buy fresh fish.

John and Laura are hiring more staff to handle their boom in business. Laura created new job descriptions and checklists to help hold employees accountable. The head cook, Oscar, quit, along with a few servers. Oscar’s replacement now manages the back of the house. With the recent success, the owners have promoted their son Bob to night manager.

“Chef Robert truly wants everyone to succeed and only tells the truth,” Laura and John wrote, reflecting on their Restaurant: Impossible experience. “Everything he says needs to be said and heard by the owners and staff.” To Robert and the entire Restaurant: Impossible team, “we could never thank you enough for your kindness, concern, knowledge and dedication. All of you are our extended family.”

More from Restaurant Revisited:

Valley View (March 14)

Vote on Your Least-Favorite Foods as a Kid — Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off

On this past Sunday’s episode of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, the kids faced one of their toughest challenges yet, cooking their least-liked ...

1. dogrunner says:

I could tell in 5 minutes who the probelm was with the place. Besides inexperience, the real issue and problem was/is with poor Mrs Victim working 2 jobs. I'm sorry and hate it for you, but you chose this life. That being said, her attitude rang through loud and clear.

2. Robin says:

Did I miss something? I watched the entire episode about the "Pelican Grill" and at the end when Robert showed these people their "new" restaurant, I did not see either one of them hug him or tell him thank you! They hugged the designer and the builder, but not Robert. And, if I remember correctly, the father gave all the credit to his sons. Did anyone else notice this?

3. ljm19 says:

I agree that the renovation was the least attractive I have seen on this show. If I had been one of the owners I would of been disappointed comparing it to past episodes results. I also do not like that I have to come to the website to see the update on the restaurants. Some of us poor soles still only have dial-up service available in our rural areas. Makes it very hard and inconvenient. We always get left out.

4. Ann Proctor says:

It is hard to believe but many people do have a computer. My Mom has stopped watching as she can't updates.

5. Julie - Florida, says:

Your going to have to repeat that, it made no sense.

6. Mike says:

I love the concept of the show, but PLEASE get rid of "we have 2 days to get things done." I don't really care about the timeline. It appears so fake and unnecessary . Just do your magic without the stress element. What does that really have to do with the show?

• Kathy says:

Mike, I agree with you perhaps for a different reason. We live in NV and I noticed that Robert has not taken on any Nevada restaurants that I can find. In our small town, which needs some help because a restarurant goes under every year we've lived here, no one could help in a day or two. It would take longer than that to get materials out of Las Vegas or Reno.

7. SEABROOK says:

i think some of the negative comments are from competitors that are hurt from the make over and the new menu we eat there three weeks ago and it was amazing loved it

• smason35 says:

I live in Seabrook and just tried to have breakfast there today, I sat in the middle at a table, too many tables to move. The SERVICE WAS SO BAD< MEALS INCOMPLETE< RETURNED BACON BECAUSE I HAD ASK FOR IT TO BE EXTRA CRISP, STILL NOT RIGHT. SAW MANY SAD FACES AND PEOPLE LOOKING AROUND TRYING TO GET SERVICE. I WAS TRANSACTION # 14 AT 10:55 10-21-20012, TOTAL WAS 20.36. COULD NOT GET OUT FAST ENOUGH. BAD BAD BAD, ROBERT THEY HAVE YOUR NAME IN FULL VEIW, YOU NEED TO GO BACK AND HELP THEM OR GET YOUR NAME OUT OF THERE

8. Janel Rousu says:

Thanks, I have recently been looking for info about this subject matter for ages and yours is the best I’ve located so far.

9. When I first saw this title Restaurant Revisited: Pelican Grill | FN Dish – Food Network Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it. Thanks so much for giving everyone such a breathtaking opportunity to check tips from this web site. It is usually so pleasing and packed with a great time for me and my office co-workers to search your blog at the least 3 times per week to read through the newest guidance you have got. Of course, we are always contented with the impressive inspiring ideas you serve. Selected 1 facts in this post are indeed the most efficient we’ve ever had.

10. Occubyeduck says: