Who Do You Want Cooking Lessons From?

by in Community, Food Network Chef, March 21st, 2012

guy fieri, alton brown, bobby flay, anne burrell
Food Network recently asked fans on Facebook: “Which Food Network chef would you most like to take cooking lessons from, and why?” Many who responded didn’t want to choose just one, but those who did shared exact reasons why. Guy, Bobby, Anne and Alton were among the top picks. Here are some of the highlights:

• Randy Nez: Bobby Flay. His story is truly unique and inspiring, and one of his many influences is my homeland — the beautiful Southwest. I love his ability to throw down with just about any dish, and I love to grill.
  • Sharon Grimes: Guy Fieri because he’s fun, he knows what he’s talking about, we use the same cooking style and he’s not as messy as some of the others. He loves his family, he’s always involving his kids and he’s not trying to make himself look bigger or better than anybody else.

• Jennifer Edwards: Guy Fieri because he’s awesome, cool, funny and a true food lover. He’s also a people person.
  • Amanda Sugden: I’d study under Alton Brown because he’s thorough and explains the why behind the how — that’s what makes it click for me. I wouldn’t mind an apprenticeship under Anne Burrell, she’s so encouraging, real and fun. But for me, it’d be Alton, hands down.
  • JoAnne Santo: Anne Burrell. I love her style and the recipes of hers I have used can’t be beat.
  • Amber Dutton: Bobby Flay because he isn’t afraid of using bold flavors and ingredients.
  • Brian Laird: Alton Brown hands down. He’s the best, enough said.
  • Kristen Klein: Guy Fieri or Anne Burrell. They both have fun recipes that you can alter in so many ways — the possibilities are endless.
  • Michelle Downs: Alton Brown, without question. Real food with practical information.

Post-Easter Guide to Using Up All Those Hard-Boiled Eggs

Easter is tomorrow, and for my family that means one thing: lots of hard-boiled eggs. We love to decorate them (see some of my fun ideas here), hunt f...

1. BON says:

THANK YOU FOR THE FOOD NETWORK. THE BEST SHOW SINCE THE 1950'S!

WILL YOU PLEASE PUT SOME OF YOUR OTHER SHOWS ON AT EVENING TIME FOR THOSE OF US WHO WORK? Rachel, Paula, Ina,Alton, Bobby, the new people, etc etc. ROTATE THEM. I LIKE GUY AND CHOPPED BUT DON'T WANT TO WATCH 10 HOURS OF THEM.

COME ON, WE ARE FAITHFUL VIEWERS, GIVE US SOME VARIETY AT NIGHT AND WEEK ENDS!

I LIKE THE CHALLENGE SHOWS BUT SOME OF THEM YOU REPEAT AND WE DON'T KNOW WHEN.
    MY SON HAS BEEN ON YOUR SHOW TWICE BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN BUT ONE REPEAT.

I LOVE LEARNING HOW TO PREPARE FOOD. I AM A WELL SEASONED "HOME" COOK BUT DIDN'T KNOW THE FASTER WAY OF HANDLING A KNIFE AND OTHER PROCEDURES.
    WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A SHOW ABOUT VEGAN COOKING, HEALTHY COOKING USING ORGANICALLY GROWN FOODS AND A LESSON NOW AND THEN FROM CHEF SCHOOL.

THANKS SO MUCH!!
    BON

2. Cheryl says:

What a great question! Everyone of the chefs bring something wonderful to the table. However, I would say Ina Garten would be my chef-of-choice. Reason being: She once commented that she made a recipe over-and-over until she was completely satisified with the end result. I like her style and she seems very hospitable and fun to learn from.

3. Logan says:

I agree with Bon^ I liked Chopped but I miss seeing Paula and Alton in the evenings!!

4. @Wooby511 says:

I agree with Bon…Both Guy and Chopped are on way too much…and the Cupcake show too…

5. wambam says:

I'm trying to find something to replace red & white wines in recipes.

• RuthAnn says:

It depends on what you are making. You can use the red and white wine vinegars. Also I have seen in receipes where they suggest beef stock for red and chicken stock for white.

6. Leon says:

Help Alton,
    My polenta siezed. 2 cups boiling water, 1/2 cup cornmeal added slowly and stirred. butter, simmered for 30 minutes. I added 4 oz. of cream cheese, removed from heat and plated. BAM rubber. What did I do? I await your sharp tongued answer.
    Leon

7. Deb says:

I want Alton Brown back on!! I agree, I'm sick of Chopped, DDD, Restaurant Impossible and the stupid Cupcake show!

• Danielle says:

I agree! I like to EAT cupcakes; not watch other people bake them and other people taste them. NOT fun! I used to love DDD, but I swear if I have to sit through one more episode I'm going to hurl! A little variety, please!

8. valannmom says:

Actually, not just one chef. Knife skills from Rachael Ray or Anne Burrell; grilling from Bobby Flay; fried chicken from Paula Deen; sauces from Anne Burrell or Tyler Florence; bold, unusual flavors from Guy Fieri; Italian from Mario Batali or Giada; etc. I just want to learn to do more than just read a recipe and follow it!

• Cheryl says:

Recipes are important building blocks and teaching tools. As one grows in experience then more experimentation follows. I have read thousands of recipes over the years and cooked from many, also cooking freeform a lot. Knowledge and skill comes with cooking in many forms. When I speak of Ina Garten making a recipe over and over, she is building a recipe to a status of complete satisfaction, and changing it as she goes. She cooks beautifully freeform as well. This is what makes the best cooks.

• valannmom says:

I guess it is a matter of confidence, too. I'm just afraid to try something and have it not turn out right. We live on a really tight budget and if I mess up dinner, we don't always have the funds to get something else for that meal. I collect recipes. I read them and imagine wyas to add to it or change it, but then don't have the intestinal fortitude to give it a try! Thank you for your insight. I'll just keep trying!!

• Cheryl says:

I certainly understand a budget. You might make changes in small ways with certain foods that you know your family will love, that's what I did at first. I suggest the popular recipe sites where others have experimented with some five star recipes, if you aren't already doing that. Helps to read their comments if nothing else. I wish you many cooking joys.

9. Joanie says:

I love their recipes, but I find Barefoot Contessa and Giada DeLaurentis EXTREMELY pretentious. Does Ina think nobody can use "good" ingredients but residents of Martha's Vineyard? Good grief!! Giada needs to stop talking while chewing food. Get rid of the cupcake shows.

10. susan johnson says:

I would like to learn from Marc Forgione. His classic French moderized. He seems very confident and cool under pressure. Something very attractive about that demeanor I love chopped and iron chef. I so look forward to superchefs on chopped. It is always very exciting.I agree about the cupcake shows.Very boring and really old.