Welcome Back to School, Recruits — Worst Cooks in America

by in Shows, March 26th, 2012

bobby flay and students
The school bell rang in the seventh episode of Worst Cooks in America, and the remaining four recruits dealt with some of their toughest critics yet: 30 second-grade students with impressive palettes. Each recruit was tasked to create their own healthy spin on a cafeteria classic, as well as a veggie side dish. Anne’s team took on chicken tacos, while Team Bobby tried their hand at quesadillas. While these dishes may sound easy, it’s a struggle for cafeterias across the country to make meals nutritious.

One rule that was strictly enforced: sanitation and dealing with raw chicken. Bobby had no problem with the recruits getting him sick, but he was adamant about maintaining food safety and avoiding cross-contamination for the children, making Melissa bring her sauce to a boil to destroy possible bacteria after she cross-contaminated her spoon.

While both teams were successful in satisfying the children’s appetites, not everyone was successful in seasoning and bringing the concept of nutrition to life. With only one episode left, we’re still seeing the recruits over-salting and over-cooking their meat. David also decided to make fried greens beans as his side dish. They were lightly battered, so this brings me to ask this question: Do you think fried green beans are healthy?

anne burrell and studentsAs if school children weren’t hard enough to cook for, Bobby and Anne decided to bring in the big guns: the recruits’ families. Remember, these are the people who nominated the contestants as “worst cooks.” The pressure was on. Each member cooked a meal for their mentors and loved ones, but with one twist: The family members didn’t know who made what. In the end, Vinnie from Team Bobby and Kelli from Team Anne made the final cut.

What would you cook for your loved ones?

Tune in for new episodes: Sunday at 9 pm Eastern/8 pm Central

There’s a New Chef in Boot Camp: Tyler Florence Joins Anne Burrell on Worst Cooks in America, Season 6

Food Network's Worst Cooks in America is back for Season 6 and this time Tyler Florence is joining Anne Burrell to coach 14 of the worst cooks imagina...

1. FoodloverNY says:

I just watched the last episode and finally recognize Kelli. She played the EMT operator on the "Fockers". I looked at the credits and yep its her! I wonder if FN knew that.

2. Lisa says:

Really David's wife??? Vegan? You're a joke. You give us a bad name. Not only did you eat one animal, but two…likely on top of much more dairy. Don't claim to be a vegan and then seconds later ENJOY eating an animal. And really food network? You're not fooling anyone. Don't try to portray someone as a vegan when they're not. I'm glad David was eliminated simply for this episode. I was routing for him because of the fact his wife was vegan, but his stupid wife ruined it… Yeah you got me. Congrats.

• jeri says:

David's wife gave up meat because David couldn't cook it right. She never claimed to be "vegin", only that she gave up meat because David couldn't cook it right. If you are so vegan, why are you watching this competition? Don't be so quick to judge others when you don't know the circumstance.

• FanFare57 says:

Hi Jeri,
        Yes, David said that she became vegan because he couldn't cook meat correctly. However, she did claim to be vegan. David said the same thing early on and why. Obviously, they both bandied the word around without understanding the meaning. They should have said she was avoiding meat at home.

• FanFare57 says:

Obviously, David's wife doesn't know what the term "vegan" means. Otherwise, she wouldn't have consumed the two meals.

• Foodiemommies says:

I don't think David knows what vegan means. Vegan is as vegan does.

• Little Bunny FooFoo says:

Wow, you vegans need to go have a bacon cheeseburger so you won't be so grumpy. Why is it that vegans (and the gluten free bakers) think they are superior because they don't eat a certain type of food? Seems they tend to look down on those of us who enjoy all kinds of food?

• JLF says:

While there may be a whiff of fanaticism to the intensity of the vegan complaints, there is the valid point that one who claims to be vegan just because she doesn't like her husband's cooking has not really embraced the commitment, especially by devouring a pork chop dinner. Each to their own choices – I would love the pork chop myself, but I will respect the concerns of those who are truly vegan to point out those who are posing.

• FanFare57 says:

There's nothing grumpy implied here. People who choose to be vegan, vegetarian or gluten free are not necessarily "feeling superior". I am none of the above. However, my friends who became that way did so due to health reasons. They all claim that they feel better (as in healthier) due to the diet change. A few friends had truly adverse food problems and were forced to change their lifestyle or suffer major health consequences. With all of the food allergies out there, it is a nuisance for the person it affects (by having to explain to typical diners). We must all be more understanding and tolerant of these food aversions, since there are so many.

3. FoodloverNY says:

I think that a lot of the attitudes of stupidity are just for show and entertainment value. An example is when Sarina Weeraprajuk said that ricing potatoes was like giving birth. I almost fell off my seat!

4. jeri says:

Can't waite for the finale!

5. Dishing Out says:

I love this show because it gives me hope (lol), the contestants are supportive of each other, I learn from each show and the personalities are so fun to watch.

The FN Final Four were all great in my opinion. I have rooted for Melissa when I first read the contestants brief bio's because she needed to really "fall in love" with food again. I thought as the competition went on that Kelli, Vinny and Melissa had potential. I didn't expect David but he did pretty well.

I'm rooting for Kelli but if Vinny wins, it's all good. I'm happy for the contestants because they learned skills that will help them even after the show is over. I'm thankful for them that they're willing to be on TV with total strangers watching them do something they don't excel in.

By the way, they are not stupid. Try competing against them in areas where they have the skills and knowledge, such as real estate, finance, professional poker tournament, etc. It takes humility and courage to accept that you're not good at something and then allow others to teach you.

• JLF says:

Except for who we are rooting for in the finals (I'm for Vinnie and Bobby) I agree with everything you've said. I would have preferred Melissa instead of Vinnie, but the final 4 were all worthy of their advancements and should be proud of the progress they made.

6. jeri says:

Congrats to … on the … team!!! I'm glad the runner up also got the kitchen set, I sure would like one, but I need a new kitchen to put it in!!!!

7. jeri says:

Hope my reply to Jenny didn't spoil it for anybody. Sorry if it did.

8. JLF says:

Well I was hoping that the inconsistent doneness of Kelli's steak would off-set Vinnie's single unset brulee, but it was not to be. I felt that Vinnie's overall menu was better except for that desert flaw, and when that's the last impression the judges have, there's nothing you can do. Kelli won fair and square and she is a worthy winner. Just would really like to have seen Bobby beat Anne. I liked him as a teacher much better.

• jeri says:

I was secretly rooting for Bobby. He and Vinnie came so close. Hope Bobby and Anne will be next hosts.

• FanFare57 says:

I was fine with either finalist winning. They both were very congenial. I had hoped that Anne would win, based on her menu. She's a little more forward thinking than her male challengers. Bobby's suggestions of the 1st and 3rd courses were similar in texture and color and were hackneyed. tartare and creme brulee are nothing new. Anne's outer courses were more clever. The main course by Bobby was more interesting in concept. Kelli making a mistake on steak seemed unbelievable. I think the main issue is in the editing. We were shown snippets of the judges' discussion and it really seemed to be in Vinnie's favor. Therefore, it seems odd that Kelli won. Since it was a blind tasting, it doesn't seem possible that it was rigged.

9. Kathy says:

I'm disappointed -it seemed kelly made 3 mistakes
    1-under cooked the sweet potato
    2-overcooked the steak
    3-over cooked the apples
    It seemed as if Vinnie made 1/3 of a mistake with the brulee not setting!!!
    I love learning new techniques and recipes