Under the Sea — Worst Cooks in America

by in How-to, Shows, March 19th, 2012

seafood tower worst cooks in america
From lobster to mussels to shrimp and whole arctic char, the sixth episode of Worst Cooks in America had the remaining recruits peeling, shucking and filleting several deep-sea treasures. For their first task, each team had to create a seafood tower, one of the most expensive dishes on a restaurant menu, consisting of mussels, lobster, shrimp, oysters and crab. After that, each member grabbed their knives and filleted a whole arctic char to create a dish for their mentor.

Everyone seemed to have issues at one point or another with cooking and/or prepping their seafood dishes. You can overcook shellfish in mere seconds, and choosing fresh fish can be intimidating. Below are Food Network’s simple step-by-step tips to create the ultimate seafood feast.

peel and devein shrimpPeeling and deveining shrimp at home is easy and can also save you money at the fish counter. For completely peeled and deveined shrimp, gently twist to remove the head if it’s still attached. Then go underneath, where the legs are attached, and dig your thumb under the shell to release. Next, remove the tail with a gentle tug. Lay the shrimp down and run your paring knife along the back to remove the thin gray vein.

Browse our peeling and deveining step-by-step photo gallery.

pick and store fishThe very best meals start with the very best ingredients, and fish is no exception. If you learn how to buy it, you can let the fish do all the work. If you’re buying whole fish, they should be shiny and sparkly with firm flesh; clean small, tight scales; red gills; and clear eyes.

If you’re buying steak or fish fillets, they should have a moist sheen and slightly translucent, dense flesh that feels firm to the touch.

Learn how to pick and store fish by watching this video.

Takeaway seafood tips from this show:

1. If you see a mussel semi-opened, it’s dead so discard it

2. Don’t overcook mussels, they’ll taste like little rubber balls

3. Create a flavorful cooking liquid so your seafood soaks up the seasonings

4. Cook shrimp until they’re opaque

5. The sauces that complement your seafood should have impact

Recipes from this show:

Bobby’s Mussels With White Wine

Anne’s Tartar Sauce

Tune in for new episodes: Sunday at 9 pm Eastern/8 pm Central

Restaurants Revisited: The Gross, Grosser and Grossest

From creepy crawling insects in the kitchen to appliances overrun with mold and caked in grease, Robert Irvine has seen all manner of filth in eaterie...

1. jeri says:

Was not totally surprised by tonight's results. I thought the blind taste test of the dinners was great. Eliminated the favoritism factor. Won't say anything else until later.

2. JLF says:

Did not like at all that Melissa was eliminated, and that worries me for Bobby's chance for a win with Vinny and his poor time management. I like Vinny, he seems to have a flavor profile that compliments Bobby's style, but he has tended to stick with what he knows , where Melissa seemed to take more risks and stretch herself. Her plating is beautiful and she doesn't lose composure in the kitchen. Bobby's comment tonite that sometime her flavors just don't always turn out must have been referring to her school food challenge, because he seemed very impressed with her dinner challenge. I was shocked that Vinny was chosen. Hope it doesn't bite Bobby in rear for the finals.

3. jeri says:

You go Kelli and Vinnie!!!

4. Curmudgeon says:

Next Group of "Worst Cooks" should include Jeff Mauro, the "Sandwich King" who airs on FN on Sunday mornings. Perhaps Anne and next co-host can help him learn how to cook. The man produces nothing that I'm even tempted to try.

• JLF says:

To use the forum of one show to grind an axe about a different show is mean spirited and irrelevant. Your name is appropriate – your behavior is not.

• FanFare57 says:

That's very funny. I agree with you. Seriously, I cannot believe that he actually won that contest to be the next food network star with that pedestrian concept for a show. He also has no charisma either.

• Foodiemommies says:

I agree but he looks like he eats a lot of his own sandwiches

5. Marilyn says:

Anne, you told contestant not to cook cucumbers, I love fried cucumber sandwiches. Peel and slice cucumber and fry in butter with a little salt and pepper. Make a sandwich with a double layer, delicious. Love all your shows and you clothes.

6. Yvonne says:

Ann, please be aware that yes mam and no mam is a show of respect and is never intended to offend. Southerners are taught from the time they begin talking to show respect in that way. Being a southerner myself, I was very offended by your comments to David Shelton. When someone from California comes to the south, we do not correct their manners or try to tell them how to talk or respond to someone. I just wish you could show the same courtesy to others. I have always liked your shows and your individuality, but if that happens again, I will no longer watch any program you are on. The south is proud of their manners and hospitialty.

• FanFare57 says:

I thought Anne meant that "Yes, Ma'm" made her feel elderly. Non Southerners are not used to that formal salutation. I'm from the New England region, where we have our own unique style as well (and we're mocked by those not from here). It's not taken as insulting. Rather, it is pointed out as being different. Try not to get your shorts in a bunch over regional preferences of speech.

• jeri says:

FanFare57 you're right that different regions have different salutations. I was in the East (Massachusetts) until I was 5 years old. Manners were part of my upbringing. Women, meaning anyone older than me, was a Mam, men were Sir. We were tought to stand when some older entered the room, open the door for someone older, and offer our seat. I do this to this day, and get a lot of strange looks for it. The younger generation just doesn't have that upbringing. Too bad. My manners were never questioned, until after high school graduation, the age of hippies and free love. Even in middle school when the kids were saying yeah and uh ha the class was scolded for being disrespectful and rude. It would be nice if we could go back to the time when people respected each other, no matter where they came from. Respect and manners should have ever gone out of style!!!!

• JLF says:

Anne was the one whose shorts got bunched, and I agree that her scolding was rude. We southerners do have our regional speech as do New Englanders. One of the most culturally interesting times in my life was when my family moved from the south up to Massachusetts. I was asked by the nice New England girls in my 7th grade class to not sit with them at lunch because I was too different. I've chalked it up to 7th grade girls being universally hideous, but I would never comment on or correct another's manner of speech and would appreciate the same courtesy.

7. You are actually a good webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a fantastic task in this topic!