Everyday Banana Bread — Simple Scratch Cooking

by in Family, March 6th, 2012

banana bread
Every week I find myself flooded with overripe bananas since everyone in the house prefers to eat firm, barely ripe ones. The first sign of a brown spot, and they’re left to languish on the counter, eventually becoming so ripe the only purpose they serve is as incentive to bake some banana bread. I know, this doesn’t seem like a problem. Banana bread has a lot going for it. It’s easy to make because it’s a quick bread — it uses baking powder to rise, not yeast. It’s also the ultimate “waste not, want not” use of ingredients past their prime. But best of all, it can be a breakfast on the go, a tasty snack for school lunch and even play a pinch hitter come dessert time.

The real problem with having too many overripe bananas is I feel guilty making my favorite banana bread recipe twice a week. The recipe is great, but with one stick of butter in it, I decided my weekly banana bread infatuation needed some lightening up. The Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Banana Bread has been relegated to a once a month treat. What I needed was an “everyday” banana bread recipe, one I could feel better about making, and eating on a regular basis.

A simple swap of canola oil for the butter meant less saturated fat. Whole-wheat pastry flour took the place of all-purpose white flour. Lastly, since I wasn’t browning any butter, the bread needed a boost since it would lose that toffee, caramel-laced taste. Dried, ground spices are perfect for adding flavor without calories, so allspice and cloves found their way into the batter too. Here’s my new take on an old favorite.

Easy Baby-Food Tip: Those same mashed bananas you use to make this bread are a perfect first food for baby, making it the easiest meal you’ll ever “cook” from scratch for your little one.

Everyday Banana Bread

Makes one 8-inch loaf

2 1/2 cups (300 grams) whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) allspice
1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
3/4 cup canola oil
3 large (150 grams) eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup (128 grams) packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
3 bananas (545 grams), peeled and mashed
1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of an 8-inch by 2-inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda until combined. Set aside.

In a clean, large bowl, whisk the oil and eggs together until thick and pale yellow, about 1 minute. Whisk in the sugar and vanilla extract, until well mixed. Stir in the mashed bananas. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until there are no visible traces of flour. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined.

Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes.

Set pan on a wire rack, and cool completely before slicing and serving.

Jennifer Perillo is a recipe developer and food writer living in Brooklyn, N.Y. Her recipes and tips for feeding families homemade meals are a regular feature in Working Mother magazine, where she’s the consulting food editor, as well Relish Magazine, Parenting, Kiwi and her blog, In Jennie’s Kitchen.

5 Kid-Friendly Ways to Reinvent Thanksgiving Leftovers

From make-your-own mini pot pies to cranberry corn muffins, these are our best kid-tested ideas for serving Thanksgiving dinner again in a whole new w...

1. jeni k says:

this is great but do you know the number of serving and calories?? Have you ever tried these as cupcakes?

• jennifer says:

This too dense for a cupcake, but it should work well as muffins. It hasn't been tested that way, so I don't have exact baking times and yield to provide you. As for the number of servings, that depends on how thick you cut the slices. I normally cut mine into 10-12 slices

Best,
      Jennie

2. Lori says:

cut the oil out an use low fat plain yougurt or greeek yogurt……

3. If I want to use my stand mixer would it still work if I add the dry to the wet already in the bowl and mix til just incorporated?

• Sea Kay says:

It would probably be okay to add dry to wet (rather than wet to dry) but would mix it by hand to prevent overmixing which could result in a tougher loaf.

4. linda says:

what ido with bananas i freeze them still in there skin so i dont have a loaf of bread twice a week. then when im hungry for that something special i pull out the ziplock bag with my two bananas and there u go bread is almost ready. plus i found if u freeze the bananas it makes for a sweeter bread.

5. zhivejnik says:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to give something again and help others such as you aided me.

6. Thanks for the article, can I set it up so I receive an email when there is a fresh post?

7. there’s far more tom ze vinyl sets? i will be pretty interesed,

8. Commerce for their meal, or stop the ceremony when they suggest you pose in a corner. Act on the fabric you want. As such, it becomes something interpretive.

9. Pedro Kadi says:

I do enjoy the way you have presented this specific situation and it really does supply me personally some fodder for consideration. Nevertheless, because of what I have observed, I simply just trust when other reviews pile on that people keep on issue and not start upon a soap box of the news of the day. All the same, thank you for this superb point and while I do not necessarily go along with the idea in totality, I value the viewpoint.

10. I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.