Around the World in Meatballs — Worst Cooks in America

by in Shows, February 20th, 2012

Sherrill Moss Solomon
The second episode of Worst Cooks in America had the remaining 14 recruits thinking international — that is, making meatballs from Sweden, India, Lebanon, France, Spain, Greece and Morocco. For their demos, the teams watched as Bobby took on a Mexican Meatball With Red Chile Tomato Sauce and Queso Fresco, while Anne took on an Italian meatball called Polpettini.

So what is the difference in these meatballs?

- Spanish meatballs are a mixture of ground pork, veal and beef, which are combined with bold flavors like smoked Spanish paprika, cilantro, chile powder and red onion. Get Emeril’s recipe for Spanish Meatballs.

- Lebanese meatballs, also known as kofta, are usually made with lamb and are combined with vegetables and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and are then formed around a skewer.

- Greek meatballs, or Keftedes are an all-beef ball, seasoned with mint, oregano and nutmeg, and served with a side of yogurt sauce. Cat Cora uses cucumbers in her sauce recipe for Keftedes.

- Swedish meatballs are a combination of pork and beef meat (or pork and veal), and are seasoned with nutmeg, allspice and white pepper, and are served with a gravy made from beef broth and heavy cream.

- Moroccan meatballs combine lamb with a flavorful mixture of shallots, cinnamon, coriander and mint leaves.

alton brown swedish meatballsGet Food Network’s Best 5 Meatball Recipes:

5. Italian-American Meatballs

4. Mini Turkey Meatballs

3. Baked Meatballs

2. Excellent Meatballs

1. Swetdish Meatballs

Tell us in the comments: How do you make your meatballs?

Tune in for new episodes: Sunday at 9 pm Eastern/8 pm Central

Tater Tots Are Getting Their Chance to Shine in This Crispy Casserole Dish

Tater Tots have long been a side dish darling, with the versatility to accompany nearly any meal, from breakfast to dinner. But in this week’s Chopp...

1. mountain girl says:

Hmm…..this blog is pretty quiet this time. I for one was watching the Oscars, but did click to the FN channel to watch Worst Cooks–couldn't let the week go by without watching! It was a good show and I was not surprised by who was asked to leave. However, I will miss Erica and her personality–she was a lot of fun! Love this show!

2. 14yroldchef says:

nooooooooooooo!! why did erica have to leave? i almost feel as dissappointed as that time when anne burrell and robert irvine were kicked of next iron chef when their food was clearly good

3. jeri says:

Hey, JLF, those crickets are very loud now :)!

4. jeri says:

Maybe everyone is waiting till after tonight's replay?

5. jeri says:

Don't see any more posts. Guess the crickets are having a good time,

• FanFare57 says:

Hi Jeri. I watched the Oscars and didn't have time to see the recent episode until today 9on demand). I'm glad Erica was sent packing. A little of her frazzled behavior goes a long way. The way she handled the fire in the kitchen was scary. In fact, her food (& the "Vanilla Loving" lady) scared me. Our pal Bob was sent packing. He seemed so pleasant and determined. That was a shame. However, overall, this contest is still appealing with less manufactured drama.

• jeri says:

Yeah she was kinda frazzled, good word! I posted earlier but I think it got lost in cyber-space. If Bob would have just tasted his food!!! I don't know why vanilla day is still around, unless her food tasted good otherwise. Good show.

6. FanFare57 says:

I finally got to see this last ep. I cannot believe the "vanilla" lady was allowed to stay! Did she need to hit by a 2 by 4 to get it into her head that vanilla chicken is unsavory? It disappointed me greatly that my hippie friend Bob was sent packing for one poor dish. On the other side of the aisle, Bobby is turning out to be much more compassionate and calm than I anticipated. I still favor Anne for her high energy and flavor choices. Go Anne!

• JLF says:

I understand why Bob was eliminated – for just not tasting his ingredients to know how horribly hot his sauce was going to be. But I would rather have seen Chicken Lady go for being so stubbornly determined to show Anne that vanilla chicken can be good – NOT. She was even warned that it was a really bad idea, but she went ahead anyway. Bad attitide.

Just a thought – if Bob had presented his hot sauce to Bobby instead of Anne, do you think he might havd been saved?? Just wondering.

• Pierce Nuttly says:

Vanilla lady is boring-Bring back Erica!

7. Rahul says:

Are the recipes of the variety of meatballs they made available somewhere?

8. jeri says:

Oops!!! Didn't mean to do that!

9. jeri says:

Just got new computer. dont know how to work it yet.

10. deleted2568662 says:

hate to be a ballbuster here….but, this is the fakest show EVER and i think the most embarrassing for the foodnetwork, anne and bobby!! was the foodnetwork so desperate for another show? the first season was believable, the second a little less believable and this season—whoa….hokey and so-noticeably fake all around!!! DONT GET ME WRONG–I LOVE THE FOODNETWORK AND ALL, BUT CMON PEOPLE, THIS IS REALLY HITTING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL FOR ENTERTAINMENT/REALITY TV!!!! GEEZ…

• FanFare57 says:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I don't understand what your problem is with the show. What part do you find embarrassing and / or fake?

• Lynn says:

Are you serious? Do you really believe that people are that stupid. One lady commented "At least I think it's a can opener" and she was the Home Shopping person, how does she sell anything?

• jeri says:

I, too, would like your thoughts on embarrassing/fake. Do you think the cooking ability is fake? The coaching? How is it embarrassing? Please enlighten us.

• Lynn says:

I agree other than I like the concept of the show. The majority of the contestants try too hard to be comedians, i.e. tonight's comments "What's a squab, a fish, a bird, a parrot." (yuk yuk yuk) I mean really, it looks like a small chicken. I would understand the simple question of what is a squab but to take it further to try and be funny and ask is it a fish or a parrot. Give me a break, does he really think that FN would have had a parrot on the menu. The first two times this show was on the contestants appeared more genuine. I really think when they had a call for people who do not know how to cook, I think they also said they must be wannabe comedians. I love Bobby Flay and Ann Burrell but I wish the contestants were more genuine and do not just want their 15 minutes of fame, so to speak.