Double-Duty Gadgets in the Kitchen

by in Shows, February 14th, 2012

erica weidner
Even though we’re only one episode into the new season of Worst Cooks in America, there’s one contestant in particular that’s caught my eye: Erica Weidner. Playing for Team Bobby, she’s quirky, ready to learn and hilarious.

For the Baseline Skill Challenge, the contestants were asked to cook a dish that would “explain who they were.” Erica, whose family has dubbed her an impractical cook, thinks she’s just resourceful. We saw this come to play when she used scissors to cut up a bell pepper. In the past, she’s also used disposable razors to peel turnips and plyers to remove giblets from a frozen chicken.

This got me thinking: What other gadgets have people used to cook up a dish in the kitchen? Tell us in the comments below. The person with the most unique double-duty gadget technique will be featured in an FN Dish post next week.

How to Play the Game of Kitchen Casino — Part Gambling, Part Cooking

Kitchen Casino uniquely combines cooking with gambling-themed games that not only test chefs’ abilities to think — and cook — on their feet,...

1. Daima says:

I have used glass wine bottles as rolling pins. I also once used a pyramid of mugs to keep chocolate fondue warm with a short candle under the center one. My circular cookie sheet has doubled as a pan lid for 10+ years now, as well. I've used glasses upside down to cut out circles for potsticker dough…

2. boschii says:

First of all I have to tell you that watching Erica was a BLAST! She is hysterical and I am totally with her on the whole expiration date thingy…..much to my chef-hubby's chagrin. They are only there as a guideline/suggestion…

Now on to the question at hand….first of all I am never without my Swiss Army knife…so have used it a few times for various culinary projects but the thing that I would never have guessed to use had I not been desperate…..I once used a CLEAN neti pot in lieu of a funnel to transfer some batter into a small-mouthed bottle : ) I swear it was clean!

3. Mountain girl says:

Sure, I have gone to the garage for several items: hammer to tenderize meat, screwdrivers to pop open can lids, and pliers to do the same. I have also used old wine bottles as rolling pins.

4. Kay says:

i use a hacksaw (the kind with a wicked looking blade) to cut raw spaghetti squash…it has it's own spot in a kitchen drawer…i also use scissors for almost anything that one would normally use a knife

5. JLF says:

I use my pizza cutter to finely chop my fresh herbs – it rolls through them really quick and easy.

Turning the concept around, I used my vacuum food sealer to shrink wrap some towels I bought for a Christmas present. Doing the vacuum seal made it a much smaller (and cheaper) package to mail. :-)

6. Joady says:

1.I use my Silpoura for draining the grease off hamburger
    2. For pouring perfect pancakes and cupcakes with no mess
    3. Draining veges

7. Rueben says:

All good tips to know! Thanks!

8. Gail mckenna says:

My new kitchen scissors do everything from opening those blessed plastic bags to chopping salads to slicing fruit to cutting veggies and do a good job on paper and threads. And my grandson gave them to me. Then there's my colander, drainer, strainer, garbage holder, garden basket, sifter, hat.

9. jeri says:

Margo not anonymous but SIL is!!!

10. jeri says:

This has nothing to do with double duty gadgets