The Perfect Pizza Crust — Fix My Dish

by in Community, How-to, January 18th, 2012

pizza recipe
Twice a month, we’re giving readers a chance to ask Food Network Kitchens’ advice about an issue they’re having with a dish. They can’t reformulate a recipe for you, but they’re happy to help improve it.

Question: “How do I get my pizza crust to have that slightly chewy texture and hollow bubbles to obtain that authentic pizzeria-style crust?” — Stephanie.

Answer: The perfect pizza crust can seem like an impossible task for a home cook without a pizzeria-style brick oven. But a few tweaks to your technique can make all the difference. First, look for a recipe that calls for bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. It’s much better for getting a chewy, crisp crust. I also think every pizza maker needs a pizza stone. They create a super-hot surface for cooking your pizza and they absorb some of the moisture from the dough, making the crust crisp up really nicely. Start preheating your oven to 450 or 500 degrees F about an hour before you’re ready to bake — it will take the stone that long to heat completely. To get those hollow bubbles you’re looking for, make sure you’re not pressing all of the air out of the dough as you roll it out. Never use a rolling pin, which will flatten all those pockets; instead, use your hands and fingertips to stretch and gently press the dough into a round. The tiny pockets in the dough will fill with hot air as the crust bakes, making those hollow bubbles. Finally, don’t take your pizza out too soon. Let it bake until the edges are golden brown.

More from Fix My Dish:

Alton’s Pizza Pizzas — Most Popular Pin of the Week

What’s more comforting than a piping-hot cheese pizza? The key to Alton Brown’s Pizza Pizzas (from Good Eats) lies in his made-from-scratc...

1. Christina says:

That crust looks perfect. And those bubbles! Nothing like homemade pizza. Boy, do I miss it… trying out a gluten-free diet. :(

Check out the mistake I made in the kitchen the other day! http://becauseofmadalene.blogspot.com/

xo,
    Christina

2. Julie says:

Looks fabulous – can't wait to try it!

3. Doris Fischer says:

I have a different question for you, it does'nt pertain to pizza. I hope that you will take the time to answer. I have a Japanese Chicken Scallion Rice Bowl recipe, one of the items is call Mirin, 1 tablespoon. I looked at a lot of grocers here in Phoenix, Az. Can you tell me just what this is where I can find it. I thought that an ansian shop would be able to help. Please advise?

Doris Fischer
    dfischer14@cox.net

• Tanya says:

Mirin is rice wine. I would substitute cooking sherry. Good luck!

• Natalie says:

Look in the Asian section of your grocery store for Kirin. They should have it.

• Melissa says:

Mirin is sweetened rice wine or sake. Usually you can find sake no problem most package stores have it. You would then have to add sugar to it tho. I noticed that Mirin has been sold in most meijers and publix. Also Asianfoodgrocer.com is where I get my asian ingredients.

4. Terry says:

Most pizzerias put the cheese over the sauce (except for Chicago style). Often my cheese starts to burn before the crust has finished. Wouldn't it be better to place the sauce over the cheese?

5. Karen Shelton says:

I am a long time viewer…been watching for the past 16 years…back when you had 'two hot tamales' and Bobby was ' grilling and chilling" with david somethinorother…and of course, there was Emeril before he started wearing a white chef coat…all during this time I have heard the chef's cooking with wine and using olive oil.. well.. i'm just not wine smart…don't know a dry wine from a wet one. It sure would be helpful if the chef's would say what kind of wine they are using in a recipe..not brand spacific… but if it's a chardonney or a merlo.. and when they speak of using a finishing oil on their food.. what is that exactly?

6. cakieface says:

I have a pizza stone but never knew it had to be hot before you cooked on it, thanks for that tip

7. Scott says:

I blind bake my crust on the stone for 5 minutes, just until it starts to hold it's shape. I prefer to brush it with EVOO and season with garlic salt, oregano, & red pepper flakes prior to blind baking. This gives the crust an additional layer of flavor for your pizza. Blind baking gives the top of the crust a head start under my toppings and prevents a soggy mess. Also, I place yellow corn meal on my peel or cutting board for easy delivery to the stone. It also incorporates onto the bottom of the pizza for additional crunch!

8. Lucille says:

The crust looks perfect. Can we have the recipe?

9. Joyce Gray says:

I have two questions for any chef to answer. 1. Why do most chefs use so much salt and pepper? 2. Why is it that nobody dose anything for diabetics?

10. Namrta says:

I have a pizza stone but dont know how to transfer my hand tossed pizza with toppings to hot stone. It shrinks back (i use bread dough).