Chatting With the Latest Celebrity Cook-Off Exile

by in Shows, January 23rd, 2012

Every Sunday, two of Food Network’s most popular personalities, Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri, go head-to-head in Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Cook-Off. Divided into Team Rachael and Team Guy, the celebrity contestants face intense weekly challenges that have them racing against the clock to prepare elaborate meals for up to 150 guests. The winning and losing teams are chosen by guest diners and after six episodes, the last celebrity standing will win a cash donation to his or her favorite charity.

Every week, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Celebrity Cook-Off exile to get the boot.

This week, gold-medal winner Summer Sanders said goodbye.

Even though many people said the sausage wrap was bland, since the beginning of the competition, your plating skills have really improved. Do you agree that you eat with your eyes first?

SS: I love a colorful plate because it means a healthy plate. I eat more for fuel than pure pleasure. But, as a cook, it is fun to see your food presented with style.

Out of the four challenges, which one was your favorite and why?

SS: The one-on-one challenge was so intense and incredible and, therefore, is the one I remember the most. I loved it because I was able to talk about my family. Cooking, to me is about friends and family.

The team really stayed calm, cool and collected throughout the competition. Was it the same behind-the-scenes?

SS: Even more so. We were each so focused on our charities — mine being Right To Play — that it made every drop of sweat worth it.

Taylor is the last girl represented in the competition. Any words of wisdom for her?

SS: Taylor needs to continue doing what she’s been doing since the beginning: cooking what makes her taste buds happy. She is calm, cool and has a killer palate.

How will this competition change the way you cook at home for your family?

SS: I have certainly tried new recipes and been a bit more adventurous in the kitchen. My husband loves it, but the kids get a little freaked. Oh, and I have been using “grown-up knives,” thanks to Rachael and Guy.

Top 10 Recommended Eats from the East: On the Road with America’s Best Cook

On America’s Best Cook, Sunday at 9|8c, home cooks battle it out for the chance to win the title of America’s best cook, all while represe...

1. Jae says:

WTF, Thank God Summer is GONE! She cannot cook without the help of Rachel telling her everything to do and how to do it. BTW, what's with Rachel actually volunteering ideas and telling her team how to make them. I also saw her put her finger in a sauce to taste it then give advice on how to make it better. Guy plays fair..he doesn't do that. If I hadn't watched this from the beginning i would stop.

• Earthtch says:

I agree, I didn't think one was allowed to give recipes and the celebrities writing them down on Rachel side… Isn't that cheating.

Guy gave guidance and suggestions…but Rachel's side whole recipes were given and written down.

2. Fed Up Father says:

this show sucks. Who's the celebrity Guy?

3. luvcookin says:

The author of this blog states that Guy and Rachael are 2 of FN’s most popular personalities. I don’t watch the regular shows of either of them. If I want to see a male talking with his mouth full with food dripping down his chin, thinking it’s cute, I’ll go have dinner with my neighbor’s 12 year old son. I’ve seen Rachael make too many mistakes over the years. She actually used skirt steak to make Chicken Fried Steak. That would be so tough you would not be able to chew it! I just wonder how many people made that recipe and wondered what all the fuss was about. She also said that grape tomatoes are called that because they taste like grapes!

I don’t watch many of the travel shows because there are no recipes. Guy goes places that I will never go. The only travel show that I do watch is on the more upscale Cooking Channel with Jeffrey Saad. Jeffrey is classy, doesn’t talk with his mouth full and doesn’t interrupt the guest chef.

This may not be the correct place to post this, but FN has chosen to not give viewers a place to talk about all the shows. Guess the truth may hurt!

4. Kat says:

Really people???? I get the honest feedback but does it have to be so negative and do things really have to be taken so literally? Why not appreciate the show for what it is and the fact that these people are trying to have some fun doing what they do. They are just people (imperfect people) after all, just like you and me!

5. osage willie says:

Botox taylor had NO business advancing. Period.

6. Suspicious says:

As long as FN does not provide separate blog space for each of their shows, you have to post where you can find room. I think it is too much to ask your audience to like every program, and we should be allowed to make comments about the quality of the programming.

7. renee says:

has any one seen a show just for baking i don't mean like cup cake wars or anything like that i mean actual teaching of how to bake or even canning

• jeri says:

I'm not for sure, but I think Cooking Channel has (or had ) one. I didn't watch it much because all the measurements were in metric! I get liquid measures, but not too sharp on weights. Hope this was helpful. Good luck in your search. I would love s show on canning. Haven't done it for a while and I'm sure there are new methods out there.

• WestCoastFan says:

Nigella Bites is a very "How To" show.

8. jeri says:

The new show, Fat Chefs, was a disappoint to me. I was hoping to see some healthy recipes, but all I could was how they got fat and their struggle to loose weight. I get that their struggle is difficult. I get that they have to make lifestyle changes. But I didn't see many tools to make those changes. And from what I could see their families and friends need to get with the program too, not just sit by and by and be supportive. They also look like they need to change their lifestyles. Some children are overweight, a mother was overweight the wife was overweight. Come on! Let's not just focus on the chef, but on the whole support system. And offer the overweight public, that want to get healthy, the tools to start.

• FanFare57 says:

That show held no interest to me. Thanks for the review. I made the correct choice to avoid it. The continuous reality theme shows about nothing is hackneyed. Watching people eat and grow obese is disturbing and unappealing.

• WestCoastFan says:

I had the same impression for the 500 lb pastry chef. His wife looks like she could lose some pounds also. Even with his "cheating" he still was ahead of the game. I can see the mindset in thinking, "I'm ahead of the game. I can treat myself." Oh, have I heard that one before – in my own head! It's so easy to get sucked into that "comfort" idea of "Oh, it won't hurt." Unfortunately it does. That's probably why I've gained and haven't lost.

Celeb Cook-Off Finale –

OK. From the commericals for the last Celeb Cook-Off ep I'll say that Coolio makes it to the finale for Team Guy. It kinda looks like that the ones who didn't make it to the finale may be acting as the maitre d' of the restaurants. That is what I'm deducing from the preview/commericals I've seen.

Anyone else have any predictions?

• jeri says:

Sure did seem that way. But as we all know, those commercials can be deceiving. I forgot about Nnigella's show, she does a lot of how to.

• Concerned says:

You know, the older we get the harder it is to loose! I've been stuck with a few extra pounds for a long time, mostly what they call "belly fat". I've been able to shed most, and am content with my now "ideal" weight, but the tummy fat still lingers!!! I eventually will wither it away but it's taking a long time. Don't give up! I'll be support if you need it. If you're trying to get it off, I'll support you. If not, I'll support you anyway (probably the nurse in me!).

• jeri says:

I agree with Concerned. Am in same position. I'll support!

• jeri says:

By the way I, also am a nurse, go figure, that you have two nurses on the same blog that support you! Must be your lucky day!!!!

9. jeri says:

How come there is no new "caption it" for the finale? Is FN saying the show isn't worth it? Where are we supposed to post? Guess we will just have to keep posting here.

10. jeri says:

The latest ICA with IC Zacarian against challenger with secret ingredient "mint". The iron chef won with souis chef Alex! That makes him (and her) 2-0. Who else started off 2-0??