Chatting With the Latest Celebrity Cook-Off Exile

by in Shows, January 23rd, 2012

Every Sunday, two of Food Network’s most popular personalities, Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri, go head-to-head in Rachael vs. Guy Celebrity Cook-Off. Divided into Team Rachael and Team Guy, the celebrity contestants face intense weekly challenges that have them racing against the clock to prepare elaborate meals for up to 150 guests. The winning and losing teams are chosen by guest diners and after six episodes, the last celebrity standing will win a cash donation to his or her favorite charity.

Every week, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Celebrity Cook-Off exile to get the boot.

This week, gold-medal winner Summer Sanders said goodbye.

Even though many people said the sausage wrap was bland, since the beginning of the competition, your plating skills have really improved. Do you agree that you eat with your eyes first?

SS: I love a colorful plate because it means a healthy plate. I eat more for fuel than pure pleasure. But, as a cook, it is fun to see your food presented with style.

Out of the four challenges, which one was your favorite and why?

SS: The one-on-one challenge was so intense and incredible and, therefore, is the one I remember the most. I loved it because I was able to talk about my family. Cooking, to me is about friends and family.

The team really stayed calm, cool and collected throughout the competition. Was it the same behind-the-scenes?

SS: Even more so. We were each so focused on our charities — mine being Right To Play — that it made every drop of sweat worth it.

Taylor is the last girl represented in the competition. Any words of wisdom for her?

SS: Taylor needs to continue doing what she’s been doing since the beginning: cooking what makes her taste buds happy. She is calm, cool and has a killer palate.

How will this competition change the way you cook at home for your family?

SS: I have certainly tried new recipes and been a bit more adventurous in the kitchen. My husband loves it, but the kids get a little freaked. Oh, and I have been using “grown-up knives,” thanks to Rachael and Guy.

Last-Minute Thanksgiving Tips from Bobby and Friends

Hear from Bobby and friends as they share good-to-know turkey day tips ahead of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday....

1. jeri says:

I'm posting before the end of the finale. Without revealing anything, I would eat at both their restaurants, if they had one. The food looked absolutely delicious. The decor, so-so. But the point of the whole show was for charity and I think the best one won.

• SWN says:

Didn't get to watch tonight but now it's past midnight and no postings. Has everyone lost interest or does no one want to be the first to announce the winner? I hear crickets chirping.

2. jeri says:

I'm so glad the looser gets 10,000 for their charity

3. jeri says:

It seemed like the judging was fair. The finale wasn't supposed to be till next week, but what the heck, didn't want to interfere with Super Bowl? I think it ended up being a pretty fair competition, considering the hoopla at the beginning. Congrats to the winner LDP and his charity.

4. sandy omalley says:

I watched the later one because my grand daughter and daughter won the tv over I think they both did good but was pulling for the other guy

5. FanFare57 says:

During the 2nd to last ep, did anyone else notice that Guy spoon fed Joey a menu that he felt would win? Conversely, he simply asked Coolio if he had any questions. That seemed slanted. The finale held few surprises. Lou's restaurant WAS high end (from decor to the menu and service). Coolio's was the opposite. His food sounded respectable. However, his decor was very Howard Johnson's (i.e. orange on top of orange). I noted that he got stuck with that color scheme. However, he could have scrounged up other elements to offset the monotoned effect. In addition, his service was slow. Overall,
    Lou seemed poised and ready for his win. Whereas, Coolio was all over the place by being disorganized and grungy.

• jeri says:

Yes I noticed that too. Coolio was a wrec in the kitchen and could have used Guy's help, but didn't get it (or didnt want it). Tayler was very aggressive getting decorations, scarfing up stuff! I didn't think of HoJo but that is what it looked like, I think more should (could) have been done to break up the color. Sorry so late to reply but for some reason I was not being refreshed! Goo to hear from you.

• FanFare57 says:

Yes, you're right . Taylor snatched everything in sight. I don't understand why there were only 2 color options: 1 that was tasteful and calm and the other that was tacky and ugly. Certainly, FN could have had more to offer than what was there…

• jeri says:

And, they weren't the best colors. Maybe each contestant was asked at the beginning of the show!? If FN ever does another celeb cook-off, I hope it's better! And, I could be wrong, but wasn't there supposed to be another week? Did they re-arrange the sched to have the finale a week early, so not to interfere with Superbowl Sunday?

• FanFare57 says:

I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it. That probably why the scheduling was the way it was. OR, FN just wanted to close the season early and get it over with already… I, too, hope the next time around is better. Hopefully, the producers learned from the comments here.

• jeri says:

Don't think it would hurt my feelings if they didn't have another, but if they did….

6. jeri says:

Don't know about anybody else out there but I am so ready for The Worst Cooks in America! Maybe it will be a show worth watching, who knows, might learn something!

• FanFare57 says:

Hey, Jeri –
      I'm thinking the same thing: looking forward to WCA. I may not learn something new, but the first couple of eps should be a hoot when the worst cooks show us why they are aptly named that. It's the Gong Show of Food…

• jeri says:

Hey, FanFare57. Nice to hear from you! I was beginning to think everyone went on vacation (lol)! True, we may not learn anything, but the last seasons starts were a hoot. I've been cooking so long I wondered how they could make such a mess of something simple, then I remembered when I first started cooking…I probably could have qualified for the show!!!!! Might pick up a tip or two. Chat later?

7. southernvegan says:

After seeing the finale finally, I am not surprised by who won and what charity the money went to. Again, it was another predetermined battle just like everything else FN stands for now. Pretty lame broadcasting. I am sad that I dont get cooking channel or travel channel with my free cable channel package instead of having to pay for these options. Which I will not do. Many viewers are so disappointed with the current broadcasting that continues on FN that are returning to other forms of entertainment that does require the television or its many channels.

8. southernvegan says:

It seems like the only cooking shows are on the cooking channel now with recipes. FN does not care anymore about teaching cooking techniques.

9. jeri says:

I agree with southernvegan. It seems like FN has outgrown it's self. Too bad. I have the luxury of having the channels southernvegan mentioned and mostly watch those. I watch FN for new episodes, but the choice of new shows leaves something to be desired. I hope FN will listen to the viewers and find itself.