Paula Deen’s Recipes Get Healthy, Y’All

by in Shows, January 11th, 2012
Bobby and Paula Deen
Bobby is putting his mother Paula Deen's recipes on a diet.

Staying slim with celebrated Southern chef Paula Deen in the kitchen? It ain’t easy, y’all.  But that’s what Paula’s son Bobby has managed to do. His secret? Remaking his mama’s most crave-worthy recipes so they’re lighter, leaner and still just as delicious.

In Bobby’s new show, Not My Mama’s Meals, he slims down Paula’s most indulgent dishes to match his lifestyle. Tonight at 9pm ET on Cooking Channel, Bobby remakes Paula’s famous Pimento Cheese spread into a delicious grilled cheese sandwich, that’s just a little lighter. But you’re still gonna love it…

See all the Paula Deen recipes, before and after.

And guess who’s coming for a visit? Mama Paula surprises Bobby with a special trip from beloved Savannah to New York to check out Bobby’s new digs and kitchen.

What’s Paula gonna say about Bobby fussing around with her tried and true recipes?

Is anybody home, y'all?

Tune in tonight to find out!

Not My Mama’s Meals on Cooking Channel:

More Resolution-Friendly Recipes on Cooking Channel:

What to Watch: Let Food Network Magazine Take You On a Cross-Country Culinary Tour

Join Bobby Flay and Food Network Magazine on a cross-country culinary expedition to find the most-delicious dishes in the country....

1. TellTailHeart says:

Regrets on Paula Deen’s diabetes but since Paula was the spokesperson-in-chief for colossal fat, calorie, and sugar intakes didn’t she have an obligation to own up sooner, before others were hurt, too? Hope Deen’s new turn as a health spokesperson isn’t just another case of the pyromaniac who becomes a fireman. Of the 3 year wait, Deen says she had to come to grips with the illness. In mitigation, she says her shows were “just entertainment” and ran only thirty days a year. (Didn’t mention reruns, recipes or books. Disavow them and get off that float, Hon, and on the treadmill. Lead by example, not ratings. People need to understand food dangers and you’re uniquely situated to tell them if you stay out of the kitchen.

2. doall98 says:

Not watching Paula isn't something new to me. I stopped when I got dang tuckered out of hearing y'all in every little sentence. The more famous she became the more southern came with her. Watch her older shows and you will see the speech changed so she stopped being real to me. I liked Bobby but not watching after first episode to see who the advertisers are and writing to them that I am not buying their products. You can be taken or you can take it back. I do wish Miss Paula good health, but wondering what Smithfield Honey Baked Ham is gonna do? Not buying from them anymore either.

3. Too bad this American rising star along with Coca Cola, Monster Energy drink, Red Bull and other poisonous death people advocates and million-dollar companies become so wealthy by enticing the palate of a corrupted mass of people who are slaves to their deadly taste buds instead of their health. They pay their price highly with premature and slow deaths such as cancer:(

• Bill says:

You are forgetting that's it's still a free country. Last time I checked anyway. If things are legal people have a choice what they choose to do, whether it's good for them or not.

4. southernvegan says:

It is crazy to think that the drug company is going to be the miracle cure for Type 2 diabetes. But being in the public eye all of the time has changed her. There really is no moderation in reversing the diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. It is balancing your carb to protein intake all day long. Even as a vegan, I have to watch what kind of carb I consume. I tend to eat more vegetables and less rice,potatoes, and other simple carbs, these tend to send the glucose levels into outer space. Portion control is another factor and monitoring just how many sweets are making it into my diet is another factor. Personal responsibility challenges you to make it right. I am not but 18 pounds overweight compared to others fighting the disease and until that 18 pounds comes off, the Type 2 will be in the background waiting to rear its ugly head.

5. Violet says:

I'm disappointed in Paula, it's all about the money deals she can make for herself and her family.
    Will not watch her or her sons' shows.

6. luvcookin says:

Just read on another site that Paula's publicist has resigned over Paula's decision to make money hand over fist with the drug company. Good for her! There's also some comments regarding her very unnatural crowns. They do not look natural at all!

7. bassbp1 says:

I would like to remind all who pick on Paula for the way she cooks, she always states please eat these recipes in moderation. She does not eat this way every day. And she does have lighter cooking episodes in her series. I am very disappointed that no celebritiy chef has stood up to back her up. She would stand up for them. I have assisted my mother control her diabetes, and my son control his chrones disease since my son was 14. My mother's glucose is now 118 on a good day 137 on a bad. She started at 220.

Keep on cooking Paula, and adding in those lighter meals, and preaching MODERATION. WE your fans SUPPORT YOU!!!

8. Cheri says:

I am not surprised to find out that Paula has type 2 diabetes. I could see that coming for years. I have never been a fan and don't watch her shows. If I see a recipe that of hers, I will most likely pass it up because she has so much fat and sugar in everything. Now I really make a point to avoid watching her because I feel like she is such a fraud. Next is Sunny Anderson.

9. JLF says:

What a bunch of hypocrits. Look at all of the overweight chefs on all of the channels that have cooking shows. We have no idea how many of them have their own health problems, but because Paula's diabetes is now a matter of public record she has become fair game for every self proclaimed health expert to burn her at the stake. There seems to be some snobbishness involved in this selective persecution. I'm seeing calls for the Neeleys and Sunny to be crucified next. Are Mario and Emeril (and many other official chefs) immune to criticism by their white coats? Is there a bit of sexism thrown in for good measure? If we're going to have a witch hunt, let's at least make it an equal opportunity affair.

• Amy says:

I couldn't agree with you more, this whole thing is really a crock of crap with flies buzzing around. We are just in awe of the absurdity in this. I wish people would wake-up and really take a look at the whole picture of what's happening here. I'm a firm believer of what goes around comes around. Meaning when some want mercy, good chance it won't be there for them in life.

10. PAM says: