How to Stretch Your Food Dollar: Herbs and Brown Sugar

by in How-to, January 17th, 2012

fresh herbs brown sugar
Many of you tuned in to Food Network’s special, The Big Waste, that aired last week, and we heard from lots of you about how eye-opening and shocking it is to see how much perfectly edible food ends up in the garbage. Even if you’re not tasked with cooking a meal for 100 people using wasted food like chefs Alex Guarnaschelli, Anne Burrell, Bobby Flay and Michael Symon were, you can still learn how to get the most out of your groceries with the tips below.

1. Treat fresh herbs like flowers and give them a vase. Who doesn’t hate it when you need a tablespoon of fresh parsley for a recipe but you’re forced to buy a giant bunch? You can hang on to the extras for another use if you treat them well. Fill a glass halfway with water, remove any twist ties or rubber bands from the herbs, and then place them in the glass, stems down. Cover with a plastic bag (the produce bag you probably brought them home in is perfect), then secure the bag to the glass with a rubber band. This will keep them fresh and usable for much longer than if you’d just tossed them in the crisper drawer.

2. Keep brown sugar soft and moist. Brown sugar is essential in many cookie recipes for keeping them soft and tender. The moisture content in brown sugar is what makes this possible, so you’ll need to make sure your brown sugar doesn’t dry out. If you have an opened bag of brown sugar, close the bag with a rubber band then place it in a zip-top plastic bag, making sure to squeeze out any air that might rob the sugar of moisture. Storing sugar this way means you won’t find yourself all set to make cookies only to realize your stash of brown sugar is as hard as a rock. (If you’re really in a bind, it is possible to rehydrate brown sugar to make it usable again: Remove the sugar from the bag and wrap it in a damp paper towel. Place it on a plate and microwave for 15-20 seconds until it softens up.)

Relating Reading:

How to Stock Your Pantry Like a Pro

A well-stocked pantry is the key to kitchen happiness. Forget about hiking to and from the supermarket on a daily basis; a kitchen supplied with all t...

1. Mamaw says:

Grest information

2. Angie says:

I don’t remember where or who I got this idea from, but it works really well. Whenever I buy fresh herbs, I take the rest and put them in ice cube trays, fill with water and freeze. just defrost, or put the ice cube in soup or whatever you’re making.

3. Sue says:

I take fresh Basil or parsley put it into a food processor with some garlic and olive oil. Make like pesto (without cheese and pine nuts) and put into ice cube trays. When frozen pop out and put into zip lock bags and you will have fresh basil and parsley all year…….

4. Kaytie says:

On a similar note, if you have the heels and a few other pieces of bread sitting around that you aren't eating, instead of letting them get moldy throw them in the freezer and use them later for bread pudding (or bread crumbs in recipes).

5. Its as you read our mind! You apparently know a lot about this specific, like a person wrote your book inside it or one thing. I think that you could do with some pics to operate a vehicle the information home a bit, but as an alternative to that, this will be wonderful website. An superb read. I is sure to be again.

6. Elvin Zubik says:

When someone writes an post he/she keeps the image of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it. Therefore that’s why this post is amazing. Thanks!

7. I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

8. This page definitely has all the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

9. Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I want to send you an e-mail. I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

10. place zabaw says:

Plac zabaw – wydzielone lokalizacja (czêsto ogrodzone), przeznaczone a¿ do zabawy dla dzieci. Urz¹dzenia placów zabaw s¹ wedle Prawa Budowlanego obiektami budowlanymi postrzeganymi w charakterze elementy ma³ej architektury.