5 Ways to Clean Your Cutting Board

by in How-to, January 31st, 2012

cutting board
Feel like your cutting board just isn’t clean enough? Not to worry — you can get the board extra clean with some products likely found in your home.

1. Rinse immediately after use. Studies show that a prewash rinse eliminates enough bacteria so that levels are safe, while submerging the board in dishwater immediately after use transfers pathogens to the wash water. Since wood is a porous surface that absorbs water, submerging a dirtied board could also cause it to split and warp.

2. Disinfect using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Pour it over the board and spread it around using a clean sponge. Let it stand for a few minutes as it fizzes to kill germs. Wipe off with the clean sponge and repeat as needed.

3. Remove stains with coarse salt or baking soda. Dry the board completely and sprinkle it with coarse salt or baking soda. Scrub out the stain using a sponge or a brush dipped into hot water and repeat as needed.

4. Deodorize with white vinegar. Keep a spray bottle filled with white vinegar and use it to regularly spray down a cutting board. The vinegar will neutralize odors while working as an all-natural disinfectant.

5. Sanitize using diluted bleach. An occasional extra-deep cleaning is a good idea, particularly after working with raw meat, fish or poultry. Add 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water and flood the board with this solution. Let stand for a few minutes before rinsing with hot water.

Get More Kitchen Tips

Sanity-Saving Thanksgiving Tips, Tricks & Hacks

Here are 10 tricks for tackling everything from "Yikes, who borrowed my fat separator?" to "Where am I going to put everything?" Let the holidays comm...

1. patty kasiewicz says:

Great tips for the cutting board. I am gonna try it. I hope it will take out some pretty Easter egg coloring the kids got on it.

2. ash says:

i've heard of coarse salt before, but the others are new to me. I'll try it

3. LydiaP says:

Try using lemon juice, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrub it with a brush and then rinse with hot water and let dry. A wooden cutting board will absorb any particulates of bleach or peroxide and retain them. Do you want to have Clorox in you next food cutting endeavor?

4. jeri says:

Clorox and peroxide? Are you serious? I just use coarse salt, rub it in with lemon, rinse, and put it in the sun!! When needed and it down!!

5. gjreay says:

I agree with LindaP. I've tried both bleach and peroxide. They worked to get out the stains and germs, but I'm not a fan of using toxians on food handling surfaces. I went back to the coarse salt and lemon juice and I'm very happy with the results.

6. Hsteur says:

I use good old white vinegar, or lemon and salt. Can't imagine using bleach on a wood cutting board.

7. Jenny Lipan says:

I got everything you specify, thanks pertaining to swing upward. Woh I’m happy to guage this site through search engines. Thanks With regard to Share Khmer Karaoke Celebrities » Somnangblogs.

8. I definitely wanted to write down a quick message to express gratitude to you for the fabulous strategies you are sharing on this site. My considerable internet investigation has now been paid with really good information to talk about with my two friends. I would express that we website visitors are definitely blessed to dwell in a fine place with many outstanding professionals with great strategies. I feel rather grateful to have discovered your entire web pages and look forward to so many more fun moments reading here. Thanks once more for everything.

9. Great post! I think it is worth mentioning that among cutting boards End Grain Cutting Boards are the best! They have also been found to be more sanitary than plastic boards as the bacteria gets sucked down into the wood and killed. These cleaning methods are perfect for wood cutting boards too!

10. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful and it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.