Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Super Chef Exile

by in Shows, December 12th, 2011

The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is coming to a close, with just two chefs left fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, two competitors said goodbye in a double elimination.

Michael Chiarello was the second to say goodbye, but he fought to the very last second.

FN Dish: What was your first thought when you heard that this specific day was going to be a double elimination?

MC: That there was as 50 percent chance I was going home and there was no playing it safe. I had to swing for the fence. Either you’re in the top or the bottom — no room for mistakes.

FN Dish: You said, “I did nothing but give 300 percent of myself — I’m disappointed. I didn’t come here to lose.” Take us back to those last moments. What would you have done differently, if anything, in that last challenge?

MC: I’m proud of the food I put forward, but if I had the opportunity to do it again, I may have incorporated the crackers into the inside of my offerings.

FN Dish: Who has been the most shocking competitor to you this season?

MC: I’ve always known Geoffrey to have a toolbox of extraordinary techniques, but I was surprised at how many of them he could use at once. He is a skilled competitor.

FN Dish: What is the most surprising thing you learned about yourself throughout this competition?

MC: I learned that it’s helpful to have a depth of techniques in other cuisines in addition to the Italian that I cook every day — including the French I was trained in.

FN Dish: What’s next for you?

MC: I’m looking to bring the country boy into the city as I look for a location for my San Francisco restaurant.

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Food Network in November

Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! And it’s certainly not something we take lightly here at Food Network. Why? Because it’s a...

1. Alleycat says:

I would have like to see Chef Burrel make it out as an IC, she makes cooking fun! Isn't that how it's supposed
    To be..bc when you feel good about your cooking than you know it's gonna be yummy! But since she is out I think chef Z will beat out the risky pastry chef from SF..he has more depth to his cooking skills, but I really don't know how it tastes, so guess we have to take the judges word..good luck to them both..may the pastry chef will surprise us..

2. shareen1128 says:

i hope chef faulkner wins, since chef burrell is gone. zakarian should have been kicked off when he first decided that he didn't have to follow the rules, especially since he is so anal about chopped contestants following the rules when he judges. i was dissappointed in chiarello's attitude, i liked watching his cooking shows but he was just an ass on NIC.

• Tammy0209 says:

I could not agree more. I do not understand why Zakarian was not chopped twice before. He thinks the rules do not apply to him and apparently he is correct. Go Faulkner !!

3. tdiva says:

the winner should have been Ann, and really if the fix was in probably would have been her, she paid her dues as a sous chef for Mario,on IC long enough,But with her gone I'm rooting for Chef Faulkner. Watching Chef Z on chopped is enough of Mr. Persnickity for me.

4. cmimi44 says:

I think they have the two worst chefs out of all left. Very disappointed in this show.

5. geg home chef says:

Hate to say it, but this contest has nothing to do with cooking ability. It is about ratings, demographics and marketing. Faulkner will win for no other reason other than the fact that Cora is gone.

6. keila castellanos says:

I have been reading on FN Facebook that NIC is fixed, but I didn't want to believe it…but since watching the show, everything seems to be pointing to this fact. Falkner should have been gone way into the competition, but FN needs a female chef to replace Cat Kora, just like Forgionne replace Mario Batali when he left. Just so happens Falkner and Kora are BFFs….Hummmm!!!! Its all FIXED!!!!! FIXED!!!! FIXED!!! I am soooooooo dissapointed in FN!!!!! Bunch of money hungry clowns!!!!!

• LSperry5 says:

Some where on this site is suppose to be a way to vote to bring back one of the Chiefs that were removed. I can't find it?????? Has anybody found it????

• WestCoastFan says:

Are you sure your not looking for the "Fan Favorie" voting page?

• Ricco55 says:

Go to the main page for NIC, on the left you'll see "Double Elimination, two chefs remain", under the picture is a link "Poll: Who deserves a shot at redemption?". The problem is that they won't let you vote unless you log into Facebook so that their FB numbers are increased. They removed 3 points from me for pointing this out. If you are already logged into FB when you click on the poll, you may not realize the redirect.

Any member that does not wish to go through Facebook is blocked from voting.

Pretty sad since I've always been a FN fan.

• FanFare57 says:

I don't do Facebook. I'm not interested in getting into it just to vote for another meritless poll staged by FN. It's probably a hoax.

• LSperry5 says:

Got it , thank you. I have to go back and see about the face book entry. I very rarely go on face book., so it is never open. I am now curious. Thank you again.

• LSperry5 says:

I wonder…??? Do you think these very big egos would ever allow a fix? If it is fixed….how sad.

7. Icj says:

I stopped watching when Ann got the boot. She was the most entertaining, and had the smallest ego. Would have made a fantastic IC.

• LSperry5 says:

Ann Burrell is already an Iron Chief. She has been all along and the network just doesn't realize it. I am very impressed with her interaction with the audience. I often find myself feeling she just talking to me. I love her humor and sincere love of cooking. She has already performed many times on Iron Chief.
      I am sooooo unhappy with that judge with the large ears. He is a critic, not a chief, arrogant and lacking in knowledge or ability to judge correctly.

8. heidi says:

Anne Burrelle was the only worthy chef! Too bad the food network doesnt understand its viewers! They will lose in the ratings!

9. Janet says:

Congratulations Food Network, you have ended up with the two least likeable-watchable chefs!! If you wanted a likeable-watchable Iron chef you would have just named Anne Burrell or Robert Irvine or Chuck Hughes or Alex Guarneschelli but you chose the worst judges and they chose the least favorite chefs. The people are a better judge of who they will watch. That certain something that a person just has! You can't buy it or learn it. Surely you have learned from the audience-without whom there would be NO Iron Chef or FN either- that we don't (majority) like or will watch either of the two left. The truth is any of the chefs at the beginning had the 'chops' to be an iron chef, so given that, Food Network either by accident or design read your viewership very, very, WRONG!!!

10. Janet says:

.By the way-Anne Burrell was set up with a no-win situation, not only alienating the other chefs but also put her in a untenable situation. The judges also seemed to hold it against her, and I BELIEVE they cut her because of it. Not only me but a lot of others seem to feel the same way.