Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Super Chef Exile

by in Shows, December 12th, 2011

The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is coming to a close, with just two chefs left fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, two competitors said goodbye in a double elimination.

Michael Chiarello was the second to say goodbye, but he fought to the very last second.

FN Dish: What was your first thought when you heard that this specific day was going to be a double elimination?

MC: That there was as 50 percent chance I was going home and there was no playing it safe. I had to swing for the fence. Either you’re in the top or the bottom — no room for mistakes.

FN Dish: You said, “I did nothing but give 300 percent of myself — I’m disappointed. I didn’t come here to lose.” Take us back to those last moments. What would you have done differently, if anything, in that last challenge?

MC: I’m proud of the food I put forward, but if I had the opportunity to do it again, I may have incorporated the crackers into the inside of my offerings.

FN Dish: Who has been the most shocking competitor to you this season?

MC: I’ve always known Geoffrey to have a toolbox of extraordinary techniques, but I was surprised at how many of them he could use at once. He is a skilled competitor.

FN Dish: What is the most surprising thing you learned about yourself throughout this competition?

MC: I learned that it’s helpful to have a depth of techniques in other cuisines in addition to the Italian that I cook every day — including the French I was trained in.

FN Dish: What’s next for you?

MC: I’m looking to bring the country boy into the city as I look for a location for my San Francisco restaurant.

Just Desserts — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

Creating tiramisu can be time-consuming, as it involves soaking lady fingers in an espresso mixture and topping them with a sweet mascarpone cheese-ba...

1. Ricco55 says:

There is a place where we can supposedly vote for which chef we would like to return for a redemption match, but I am blocked from voting unless I log on through FaceBook, putting my profile in front of who knows how many people I don't want, Yes I have privacy settings, but we know how worthless those are.

Food Network, you need to unblock your viewers and allow EVERYONE to have a say, this is outrageous.

Right now forcing everyone through FaceBook is a ploy to boost your FB rank. How low can you go?

2. LSperry5 says:

The Forgione, Next Iron Chef …….if I remember correctly, didn't Food network even show them at their hotel and their interaction off the competition?? ??

3. LSperry5 says:

Redemption: It appears Anne Burrell has 8,000 votes to bring her back for redemption….yeeehaw.

• Ebe says:

Anne Burrell is entertaining and a demon in the kitchen. I love how she multi tasks and talks to herself. BRING HER BACK!

• LyndaS says:

She also has been consistently in the lead for Fan Favorite. Good for her! Hopefully, the fan numbers will take the sting out of being eliminated too early.

4. 1fantasticchef says:

I lost ALL respect for food network! There is NO DOUBT this show is fixed! Remember Chef Irvine got the boot for lumpy hummus? GIMME A BREAK !!! FAULKNER IS NO WAY BETTER THAN SAMUELSON(a legend), IRVINE(just amazing),or BURRELL(all around great chef)!!!! FAULKNER IF YOU HAD ANY DECENCY YOU WOULD ADMIT YOUR NOT EVEN IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS MOST OF THE CHEFS ON THAT SHOW !!!! I AM THOROUGHLY DISGUSTED WITH THIS WHOLE SHOW !!!!! I mean come on a tuna soufflee won that !!!! GIMMEE A BREAK !!!! I WILL NEVER WATCH THAT CHANNEL AGAIN !!! Thanks for ruining this for me by cheating !!!!!! And dont get me started on that NON-COOKING JUDY JOO!!! She should judge the West Minster Dog Show!!! Maybe she would be more honest about the competitors in that!!!

• jeri says:

Judge Judy just happens to be an IronChef in the U.K. She is an American chef, graduated from Coulmbia University, worked for GoldmanSacks, in banking before she turned to cooking. Worked at The French Laundry, and for one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, and is currently the executive chef at the Playboy Club in London. So, how can you say non cooking? Read your bios before you blast.

• FanFare57 says:

Hey, calm down. Lower the volume and try to get it together. Some of you points are almost a thought. Other points are baseless. It's surprising that you waited until the 11th hour to show your righteous indignation. If this contest gets you so worked up into this much of a lather, maybe you should switch to the golf channel.

• WestCoastFan says:

Boy, I hope you never watch Top Chef Masters.

• Anna says:

I knew after the first show that Faulkner is slated to be the next Iron Chef. Forgione won to replace a chef known for his Italian cooking (Batalli). Since Cora is gone, ICA needs a female to replace her. Of course they needed an in your face alpha female and Faulkner fills the bill. I too will no longer watch FN. I'm tired of all their silliness and money grubbing ways. Any of the other chefs are better than Faulkner. Does anyone remember her competing on Food Network Challenge? She NEVER won. She did crap work.

5. LSperry5 says:

Oh that's gotta hurt. Youch, LOLOLOL

6. viiper says:

I have stopped watching the whole show, i check in to see how bad this is set up for zakarian to win this. I have seen from first show to now, yes he is a good chef, maybe, a great one, but all the the chefs are good chefs. they are in the top of their career, but you keep giving zakarian breaks, by saying his food is good well damn all of them are great chefs it should be good. He keeps making mistakes and you give him a break, here and there. A iron chef doesnt get breaks in the challenges they do on IRON CHEF, they dont follow the goal, they lose. Not here i just dont like that certain chefs have gotten breaks on following the rule. so dont hid the fact you want zakarian to win this im sorry.

7. Verdine Raridon says:

This battle for the Next Iron Chef was the absolute best! These chefs gave it their all however some were
    eliminated when they were unable to bring their A Game. Just a bad day. The final four was excellent and the
    wining Iron Chef was simply the best! Truly a technician, maximum taste with appealing presentation gave
    this win to Chef Zakarian. He presented himself professionally with a good team around him with outstanding
    results.