The holiday season may be jolly for many of us, but let’s not forget that in the U.S., 16 million kids are at risk of hunger, especially at this time of year.
This morning, Food Network, Share Our Strength and members of the Congressional Hunger Caucus unveiled a holiday food drive in partnership with Whole Foods Market that will provide 90,000 meals in the Washington, D.C. and Baltimore areas, and 45,000 more in Philadelphia by Christmas. Food Network and Whole Foods Market are partners in Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in America.
Marc Murphy and Amanda Freitag, judges on Food Network’s Chopped, today visited a Whole Foods Market in Washington to purchase fresh foods and pantry items for donation to the Capital Area Food Bank. “As chefs, we shop for food all the time and almost take it for granted,” said Murphy, “This really puts a different perspective on grocery shopping and what it means to put food on the plates of those who battle hunger.”
A Food Network truck will make stops at Whole Foods stores over the next several weeks to collect customer donations:
• Tuesday, December 6: 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. at 1440 P St. NW, Washington, D.C., with Chefs Marc Murphy and Amanda Freitag appearing from approximately 12:15 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
• Wednesday, December 7: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 2700 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA
• Thursday, December 8: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 4530 40th St. NW, Washington, D.C.
• Tuesday, December 13: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 4530 40th St. NW, Washington, D.C.
• Wednesday, December 14: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 1440 P St. NW, Washington, D.C.
• Thursday, December 15: 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at 833 Wayne Ave., Silver Spring, MD.
Continue reading: Working to End Childhood Hunger
- Bobby and Michael Turned the Big Apple Into One Big Backyard BBQ at the New York City Wine & Food Festival
- Food and Theater Take Center Stage at Broadway Tastes with Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka
- The Stars Came Out and Gloves Came Off at Guy’s Food Fight
- Midnight in Harlem: Breakfast and Jazz with Patti LaBelle