Thanksgiving Test Batch: Parker House Rolls

by in Holidays, November 1st, 2011

parker house rolls
One side effect of working as an editor for FoodNetwork.com is that you end up thinking about Thanksgiving starting in June, craving mashed potatoes all through the summer. This year, as I waded through Thanksgiving recipes on our site, familiar old faves and great new takes, I decided that this was the year I would revamp my family’s Thanksgiving bread basket.

Sometime in July I decided I would bake Alex’s Parker House Rolls for Thanksgiving — they look soft, buttery and oh, so classic. But this is one recipe I decided to take for a test drive before the big cooking extravaganza of Thanksgiving, where every bit of counter and oven space needs to be carefully budgeted and coordinated. So, like sydney1212, the latest reviewer of this recipe (glad I’m not alone), I baked a test batch of these rolls over the weekend.

I was amazed at how easy they were to mix together — there are only a few ingredients to this recipe. The dough is nice and soft, not sticky at all, and pliable. After it rises for a few hours you just pat it out gently, cut it into strips (use a ruler for uniform rolls) and shape the rolls super simply (see Alex’s step-by-step if you have trouble visualizing). Then, after a mere 18 minutes in the oven, they’re golden, steamy and ready to eat. I even put half of my test batch in the freezer to see how they keep — making them ahead seems like the best option for the Thanksgiving feast.

Along with these successful Parker House Rolls, I think I’ll round out my bread basket with Anne’s Cranberry Orange Quickbread and maybe the Neelys’ Honey Cornbread Muffins, both easy and fast.
Thanksgiving Quickbread

And what do you do with a dozen fresh Parker House Rolls if you test them out on an October afternoon? I made Bobby’s Throwdown Sloppy Joes for dinner.  They were the best Sloppy Joes ever.
Sloppy Joes

Trick or Treat! Your Guide to Being the Most-Popular House on the Block — Fall Fest

What’s the trick to being the go-to trick-or-treating destination on the block? Homemade treats, that’s what. Instead of stocking up on he...

1. KamalaGeorge says:

So how do they freeze? And did you freeze them after first rising and shaping them? Or did you bake them to the "brown and serve" stage? How long to thaw?

2. I always get raves about my turkeys which are between 21 and 25 pounds and stuffed with a simple dressing of bread cut into 1 inch cubes without the crust, finely minced onions/celery lightly sautéed in butter, naturally melted butter and poultry seasoning. (I have fine tuned this recipe that has been passed down and if I change the stuffing recipe it would mean death to me LOL) I stuff the bird in both cavities (front and back) and also under the skin on breast. I then cover the bird with cheese cloth that has been soaked in a mixture of butter/turkey stock poultry seasonings and white wine which is simmered on the top of the stove. this is also the mixture in which I baste the bird with. (I also inject the bird with this mixture also. How could I step up this basting mixture to a higher level? I also cover the bird with foil for the 1st couple of hours Some times I cook the bird in the oven other times in a roasting pan. with the same process.

3. Kris Gertz says:

Most people moving into the dry southwest U . s . have experienced scorpions eventually. People like us who are in the Phoenix arizona metro region, for instance, enjoy a detailed, if fairly uneasy, relationship using these tiny predators. While some people actually delightful scorpions onto their house to assist control other insect populations, the vast majority of people would rather stay at a safe distance from these kinds of venomous hunters. While there are many natural techniques for keeping scorpions far from home, hiring a neighborhood Phoenix bug control service could be the most dependable insurance against a painful and possibly dangerous scorpion poke occurring within your family. Phoenix pest control- url with

4. Let me go ahead and save this information for my sis for your study work for class. This is a nice-looking web site by the way. Where will you buy the theme because of this web page?

5. Very trivial information. Recognition for this.

6. a4950803 says:

I’ve said that least 4950803 times. SCK was here

7. Wesley Zobel says:

Thanks for your concepts. One thing we have noticed is the fact that banks as well as financial institutions have in mind the spending habits of consumers and also understand that many people max out and about their credit cards around the breaks. They properly take advantage of this real fact and commence flooding your current inbox along with snail-mail box together with hundreds of Zero APR card offers immediately after the holiday season concludes. Knowing that when you are like 98% of all American general public, you’ll hop at the one opportunity to consolidate personal credit card debt and switch balances to 0 APR credit cards.

8. stair says:

Much more delicate may be the family’s therapy of your grandmother – in one particular scene, Shashi’s

9. Several thanks I ought say, impressed together with your site. I will post this to my facebook wall.

10. Elijah Soroa says:

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What an ideal web-site.