Chatting With the Latest ‘Next Iron Chef: Super Chef’ Exile

by in Shows, November 7th, 2011

sudden death challenge ep 2
The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is in full swing with 10 new chefs fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, Robert Irvine won the judges over with his hotburg, but still found himself battling it out with Michael Chiarello in a sudden-death challenge.

FN Dish: The creation of the hotburg (hot dog and burger in one) was a complete success. Are you using that great concept somewhere else now?

RI: I have not used nor am I currently using the hotburg in any area. It was a great creation for a spur-of-the-moment challenge.

FN Dish: The deconstructed fish taco, however, was not a success and led you to the sudden-death challenge with Michael. After watching Spike and Marcus battle it out the week before, what were you thinking?

RI: The deconstructed taco was an awesome invention, too. There were problems beyond my control, like going last, which put me in the bottom two.

FN Dish: It looks like you used mascarpone cheese instead of tahini for your hummus. Did you do that on purpose? Tell us why you did that.

RI: I was making humus without chickpeas or tahini as they were unavailable and the secret ingredient was peanuts. I used mascarpone on purpose, as I thought that was a good substitute.

FN Dish: If anyone knows how to work under the pressure of a clock, it’s you. What are some additional lessons you’ve taken away from this experience?

RI: The lessons that I took away from the competition are really simple: Always remain true to yourself, have fun and every day is an adventure. Food is also like wine: Everyone has a different opinion. One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

The Challenge: Elevating Classic Dishes — America’s Best Cook

Last week on America’s Best Cook, airing on Sundays at 9|8c, the four regional mentors selected their teams of two home cooks each, leaving just...

1. Diane Parrty says:

As a previous blogger mentioned…the winner was and has been "announced" on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Inadvertant or sloppy programming listed Beau MacMillen as the winner of Top Chef in his credentials. Just like Aaron McCargo's "win" and premature announcement and Michael Symon's win against John Besch. Symon continues to be a pompous individual, with his irritating laugh, pandering to the visitors on set,, and perceived expertise. You'll notice that all new or upcoming chefs always pick Michael Symon, so that he continues as a winning chef. Let's clean house and improve efficiency.

• Informed says:

no, best thing lists Beau Mac as a winner on Iron Chef, not as the NIC winner….a while back he challenged bobby flay and won the battle…bte, Top Chef…completely different show

2. R.Mayo says:

chef chiarello may be alittle arrogantbut his food speaks volumes!!! I've eaten in his restaurant three times, and each has outdone the other. Bottega is a yearly stop for us, even though it's on the opposite coast. He personally greets the many customers that come thru his place and is a fabulous chef!

3. lola lola says:

I mean if you are Iron chef america why invite Irvine and then send him home. That is really unfair I was very excited about the program because of him but now that he was literally kick out I don't care about it at all. I am a regular food network watcher but after this political choices, no way. Oh and by the way who said Symon was a great chef, why is he a judge, he couldn't even keep mission impossible. No wonder Aaron didn't participate, he cooks good.

• Informed says:

um, they invited 10 chefs and 9 of them will get sent home. what is political about that? and MS is a great chef…DINNER impossible was geared around someone elses skills and interests, not his. and, oh yeah, MS went in to impossible ONLY as a TEMP fix…FN had committed to 10 more episodes that season, and irvine couldnt do because he was LET GO by FN for LYING thru his teeth about his resume and accomplishments and spreading many of those lies thru the opening sequence of dinner impossible. it doesnt take a lot to know that…just wiki irvine. he doesnt even have any restaraunts, because he couldnt get financial backing without LYING to the people he wanted money from. irvine is only back on FN because the network found out irvines fans apparently could care less how DECEITFUL he is, so they brought him back.

4. Vicki says:

I was infuriated when Chef Robert was sent home. That was so unfair. And to be up against someone who didn't even fully follow the rules is completely bogus. What are the judges doing?! After Chef Irvine was eliminated, I was so mad that I didn't even want to watch the show anymore. The judges should be ashamed of themselves. Hey, is there a way we can get this message to them personally? I think they should know that there are bunches of people who recognize what an unfair judgment they made & who don't even want to watch the show anymore. Boo, judges!! I could have done better judging myself!!

• Doris says:

I feel the same way. We were so excited about the show and couldn't wait for Sunday night! …..and after Robert got eliminated, we were sitting there in disbelief, speechless……..We don't even want to watch the rest of the show anymore, the whole thing was so unfair. I also wonder if the judges read our comments – they need to!

5. tonia says:

it is crap they already know who they want to win , proberly the biggest brown noser there is

6. Pffffft says:

I can't believe Chef Symon is such an idiot. Last week he sends home Chef Irvine, who made the secret ingredient the star of his dish while the other Chef did not. The other judges made it clear that the other Chef basically whimped out on the secret ingredient. However, Symon bullies the majority (spineless judges) into taking his side. Then this week Symon has the audacity to sit there and and tell a chef that you have to make the secret ingredient the star. WTF! Symon, make up your mind. Or are the other posters right? You have an axe to grind because you failed miserably as a replacement for Irvine on Dinner Impossible. Maybe, FN is just doing this show for an increase in viewers. Your choice of Chef Symon as a judge just resulted in major backfire. I' m another viewer that's not watching anymore.

7. slocochef says:

I am angry that Chef Irvine got kicked out … this is clearly the way life is I guess… UNFAIR. Chef ran circles around Mr. Napa & did so much more. Anytime someone uses an ingredient many ways with pure success – and loses to a glommy pile of peanut butter noodles with side salad… you know the things fixed. Too bad. Hummus too thick? OMGosh that's weak…. like the character of those who gave into whatever pressures to have Chef Irvine lose – I'm p'o D……… and the show lost credibility big time.

8. TMacD says:

Both my daughter and I were looking forward to a showdown between Chef Irvine and Chef Burrell. They were such fun to watch on Chopped that we couldn't imagine the level of competition that would be between the two on Iron Chef and now we will never know unless…..(hint, hint). Chef Irvine will be greatly missed.

9. mark says:

dude moves on with a raw egg, hahahahaha. the fix was in to get robert :(

10. Ewanglee says:

Chef Irvine will be sorely missed. He has the personality dynamics as well as skill and creativity to be the next Iron Chef. Some of the others don't have the TV persona that will keep audiences entertained and hooked like Irvine can. FN judges made a huge mistake.