Chatting With the Latest ‘Next Iron Chef: Super Chef’ Exile

by in Shows, November 7th, 2011

sudden death challenge ep 2
The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is in full swing with 10 new chefs fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, Robert Irvine won the judges over with his hotburg, but still found himself battling it out with Michael Chiarello in a sudden-death challenge.

FN Dish: The creation of the hotburg (hot dog and burger in one) was a complete success. Are you using that great concept somewhere else now?

RI: I have not used nor am I currently using the hotburg in any area. It was a great creation for a spur-of-the-moment challenge.

FN Dish: The deconstructed fish taco, however, was not a success and led you to the sudden-death challenge with Michael. After watching Spike and Marcus battle it out the week before, what were you thinking?

RI: The deconstructed taco was an awesome invention, too. There were problems beyond my control, like going last, which put me in the bottom two.

FN Dish: It looks like you used mascarpone cheese instead of tahini for your hummus. Did you do that on purpose? Tell us why you did that.

RI: I was making humus without chickpeas or tahini as they were unavailable and the secret ingredient was peanuts. I used mascarpone on purpose, as I thought that was a good substitute.

FN Dish: If anyone knows how to work under the pressure of a clock, it’s you. What are some additional lessons you’ve taken away from this experience?

RI: The lessons that I took away from the competition are really simple: Always remain true to yourself, have fun and every day is an adventure. Food is also like wine: Everyone has a different opinion. One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

What to Watch: Have One Last Halloween Hurrah with Food Network This Weekend

Get all of your Halloween programming in before the big day. It may be hard to believe, but the hallowed event is almost here, and before you run out ...

1. Tess says:

Who died and put Chef Symon in charge. What an ass and a lousy cook. Chiarello should have went home. That's a fact. After that bullshit. I will not watch the show because I see the writing on the wall. Whoever Symon wants will be the winner because he's a bully and the other judges do what he says. They have no balls. Hey Chef Symon no matter what you do Chef Irvine is more talented and more interesting and more genuine than you will ever be. Bet you're happy he's gone. Chef Irvine your show is great. Chef Symon your an obnoxious ass and none of your shows are good. They are boring. I know cause I always change the station because there is just no substance in what you do. You should not be on TV.

• rhonda says:

i agree but my next question is what is up with alton brown does he think he is a bad ass. he attitude is lousy and is making this show and iron chef look bad. alton brown your being a assh**e and i dont like you. no wonder i dont watch his programs.

• john says:

i actually like symon, but i would LOVE to see a head-to-head battle between he and robert irvine, reviewed by a mix of a FAIR & BALANCED judging panel- now THAT would be worth seeing!

both highly talented chefs who i like, but i believe symon relies too heavily on his "comfort zone" in greek/italian (mediterranean) cuisine, where as irvine can adapt to ANY ingredient and transform it accordingly, regardless of his french culinary background, profile, or technique.

result: irvine by originality, showcase of secret ingredient & execution.

2. swizzle says:

Why was Irvies adversary allowed to use 50% of his recipe outside of the norm?

Why did 3/4 of the Judges vote for Irvines food but then accept a subsitute that was, by their own words, outside of the rules?

Irvine, you got screwed. You should have won, and i’m using the judges own words on this.

3. belkis says:

If Chuck Hughes goes home, this show is crap.

4. Jeff from Ohio says:

How can I be a judge on that show. Cant they make a show where they have a judge like me that has never really ate all those fancy ingredience? I would love to taste and smell new flavors and dishes that these chefs prepare.I know I cook at home but nothing like these chefs cook! Whats up with all those judges that you say have the credibility when all they are doing is eating tasting and giving a comment! I can do that!

5. Jan Lenga says:

I don't understand how Michael Symon is a judge!!! He is a wannabe judge!! Without doubt he wanted Robert Irvine off from the get go! Robert is a big threat to Michael Symon, who was ousted off Dinner Impossible by Robert who is superior to Michael Symon. Michael Symon's agenda was to get Robert off!!!! Bring Robert back!!!!!!

6. Lora says:

I loved the show so far like I said a few weeks ago all of the Chefs are Bad Asses. But, I think Chef Chiarello is such an ass and he should have gone home last week rather then Chef Irvine

7. Janet Fagnan says:

Well, this week another chef bites the dust. I like both chefs but Chef Chuck is one of my favorites; but I liked the fact that Chef Beau was sort-of cheer leading on the first show. What I don't like are the three judges. The only one I trust is Symon- but he seems to have an agenda. The other ones I don't like and I believe they are both too impressed with themselves. Ms. Joo (is she a chef?) was so pleased with her off-color food orgasm remark to Chef Falkner, which I thought inappropriate. It is just awful that Chuck and Robert are gone. I'm beginning to wonder if competitive cooking is like Wrestlemania, where everything may not be scripted but the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

• Bronxgirl says:

Some people may find the word foodgasm cute, but I agree that I find it inappropriate. We're not all 17 years old. The judges? I don't like any of them. Chef Irvine was robbed. Jeffrey Zakarian should have gone home for ignoring the challenge, period. As for a forgone conclusion, have you noticed that Cat Cora is no longer featured as an Iron Chef? How about a female Iron Chef as being a forgone conclusion? We'll just have to wait and see. My money is on Anne Burrell.

8. Hugo A. says:

Chef Robert Irvine was the only good reason to watch the next iron chef……is not the best but he's a charismatic guy much better than the rest of the crew……Can i truly say food network and the judges are not fair…..

9. badjudge says:

I will not be watching super Iron Chef, an long as
    Symon is judge! He is not a honest judge, anyone watching the first show knows the truth. I think Robert is one of the best chefs you have, but it seem he is not giving a honest chance. It looks like you throw him under the bus every time. We love him as chef and he dum shows that you give him to do! I will watch he show every time,but I'll never watch Symons. I did not watch the show last night and will not any other night.PiSSSSSSSSSSSS OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• J. Burger says:

I totally agree with you. I usually enjoy the cook offs, however, after the judging with Chef Robert Irvine and having 3 of the judges SAY they thought Robert had the best peanut dishes and then to hear Symon say what he did about pasta, I knew he was out to GET HIM. It was like challenging the other 3 judges to go against him…..and they did. Are the other 3 judges WIMPS? Why didn't they stick to their guns and vote for the one that deserved the cook off….and that would be Robert Irvine. He is one of the most talented Chefs that they have on food network and anything he does, he does well. I personally think Symon is jealous of him because he knows he is the better Chef. My daughter and I will not be watching the show anymore. It is unfair due to the judges being swayed very easily toward whatever Symon says. I did like him, however, after this judging, I am totally disgusted and will not be watching Iron Chef with him cooking ever again…..Wake up Food Network….Open your eyes….Disgusted……

10. Gord says:

The show did itself a great dis-service. When someone completely ignores the rules and still gets a pass is just wrong. The other chefs should just bow out now because it seems the fix is in.