Ballpark Fun Facts — The Next Iron Chef

by in Shows, November 9th, 2011

marcus samuelsson and robert irvine on the next iron chef
Behind the scenes on the Next Iron Chef, Food Network’s culinary production team is responsible for making sure that the rival chefs have everything they need to cook and present their dishes — from a stocked pantry to plenty of serving vessels. Executive culinary producer Jill Novatt shared some fun facts about what it took to pull off the ballpark challenge at San Diego’s Petco Park in episode two.

How many hours did it take to film the Petco Park baseball challenge?
Seventeen hours. We started setting up at the stadium at 4am and loaded up our truck and rolled out at 9pm to drive back to L.A.

What pantry ingredients were provided in addition to the food the chefs collected from ballpark stands?
Dried spices, fresh herbs, olive oil, canola oil, salt and pepper, and that was it.

michael chiarello on the next iron chef

How many concession stands were open for the chefs to shop for ingredients?
Four concession stands and three food carts. Each chef’s bag [of ingredients] weighed a ton! They were so heavy we could barely carry them.

What was provided for each chef’s cooking station?
Each chef just got salt and pepper and a cutting board and then there was a shared equipment bank that included pots, pans, bowls, fryers, food processors, stand mixers (with meat grinder/sausage attachments), meat grinders, meat slicers, ice cream machines and blenders. All equipment was communal.

More behind-the-scenes extras from Super Chefs, episode 2:

Just Desserts — Testing the Cutthroat Kitchen Sabotages

Creating tiramisu can be time-consuming, as it involves soaking lady fingers in an espresso mixture and topping them with a sweet mascarpone cheese-ba...

1. Jenny says:

I was so sad that Robert Irvine didn't make it ;( I thought that it would have been Robert Irvine and Ann Burrell fighting at the end, head to head Grrring at each other and Robert beating Ann. Robert putting both of his BIG beefy arms in the air saying I won I beat Ann. I thought to myself that would have been a battle but Simon said that the hummus was too thick (hummus is thick…?). My heart went out to Robert.

• mizrizneumann says:

i agree!!!! i really wanted Robert to trump Ann after her victories over him in both Worst Cooks and Chopped. At least he has other accomplishments to be happy about. I love Robert! He seems like he is a big teddy bear. Surely he will do something else to be in the limelight soon!!! :)

2. mizrizneumann says:

Robert, you are STILL a fan favorite to A LOT of us! Don't worry about some ol' IC elimination. You have many other attributes to be proud of. :))))))

3. foodgasam? says:

Does anyone know what kind of grill they were using?

4. This show is a joke. says:

I see my comment was deleted. I also see I'm not the only one upset at this bogus decision to vote Robert off. This show is an absolute joke. It has to be rigged. I'm just putting my vote back in that I'm done watching this show. You Fail Food Network.

5. NoMoNICA says:

I too am very upset that Robert Irvine got eliminated from the show. It’s obvious that the show is fixed. I won’t be watching anymore.

• Phall242 says:

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen… I can not stand watching this show or any food network tv anymore its lost all credibility in this household for real cooking entertainment

6. JoeR says:

I personally agree with everyone who thought that Robert got a rotten deal. If there are rules then the rules should be followed. Obviously the judges forgot that. Robert and Alex should be the two competitors to bea in the finals. I doubt that anyone on FN who have any clout reads these comments, so hope of bringing back Robert is futile. I and many others have made comments concerning other reality shows, but nothing seems to change. I, therefore, it's a waste of time to write and critique these shows other than to express one's own feelings. Robert, you have so many fans. In fact I would venture to say that you are tops if a vote were taken.

7. Mike0055 says:

I had to leave for work 5 minutes before this show ended and I couldn't believe the outcome! I will not be watching this show again. They should start over and get new judges as they are the loosers!

8. amontoya says:

Still upset Robert Irvine was eliminated. Should have been that pompous Micheal Chiarello!

9. Foodfan83 says:

This episode is what it is, but Alton Brown when did you turn in to an a hole? The egg thing was a bit much, and I have notice your some times very rude comments on ICA, I always thought you where a nice guy…bring him back!

10. Qeeew says:

Just wanted to tell everyone that my original post was deleted!!!! I guess Food Network deletes comments when they hit a nerve!!! Chef Robert rocks!!!!!!