“Heat and Meat” Fun Facts — The Next Iron Chef

by in Shows, November 2nd, 2011

The Next Iron Chef Episode 1 Heat and Meat Challenge
Behind the scenes on the Next Iron Chef, Food Network’s culinary production team is responsible for making sure that the rival chefs have everything they need to cook and present their dishes — from a stocked pantry to plenty of serving vessels. They shared some fun facts about what it took to pull off the “Heat and Meat” challenge in episode one.

What materials were purchased for the chefs to create heat in the wilderness?
Wood: 2,000 pounds
Fire-safe bricks: 200
Stainless-steel sheet metal: 550 pounds
Rebar rods (carbon steel rods): 25 feet

plates from episode 1 heat and meat challenge

Other than the fire pits and wood, bricks and metal, what was provided for each chef team to cook with?
One cast-iron camp oven
Two bowls
Two cutting boards
Two cast-iron skillets
Cast-iron grill grates
Two gallons of water

What did you do with the five fire pits that were purchased for the challenge once it was over?
They were donated to a group of Boy Scouts who were camping in the area the following weekend.

More behind-the-scenes extras from the Super Chefs premiere:

Last-Minute Thanksgiving Tips from Bobby and Friends

Hear from Bobby and friends as they share good-to-know turkey day tips ahead of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday....

1. So disappointed says:

I’ve always admired Mike Symons – so disappointed he threw Chef Irvine under the bus last nite!!!! His “justification”?? for voting for Chiarello even though he didn’t follow the rules? ‘If I want pasta like that I go to Italy’…. well wouldn’t you expect that from Chiarello? Isn’t that his specialty? Adn this also after he screwed up the raw egg in the first challenge & was so arrogant about it!!! Won’t watch anymore…. so disappointed, can’t forget how shocked Chef Irvine looked.

2. jformony says:

CHEF IRVINE, DONT LET IT GET YOU DOWN!! THE JUDGING WAS ABLSOULETLY ABSURD. A DECISION FROM THAT GROUP OF WANNABE SNOBS WHO THINK FRENCH COOKING IS THE STANDARD IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. FRENCH???? OMG THEY EAT SNAILS!!!! HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT……YEAH!! I THINK A BOYCOTT IS IN ORDER. LETS MAKE THEM COME UP WITH A LAME EXCUSE AND BRING CHEF IRVINE BACK!!!! I TOO WILL NOT BE WATCHING T.N.I.C.. NOR WILL I USE OR BUY ANY PRODUCTS THAT SPONSOR SUCH AN ARRAY OF IDIOT JUDGES.

3. Betsy says:

Huge Chef Irvine fan! You're the best! Keep your head up.

4. LHcooking says:

Lighten up people, it's a TV show.

• Alicia says:

It's a reality show. Granted, it is aired for our 'entertainment' but does affect the lives of these chefs. It means a great deal to each of them, which is why [reality tv] has become such a phenomenon. One other point as a reminder: these challenges, presentations, judgments, and interviews/commentaries are all edited for time. They have limitless 'gems' to put into one-hour's worth of tv, so some of the content of what these chefs and judges are revealing is lost. It would be a good idea to remember that when judging someone for what they have said on tv- much of the content which may have put the portrayal in a different light may have been omitted.

5. cupcakedee says:

I am soooo disappointed to set Chef Robert Irvine so. The decision was not fair and the judging was very obvious that Michael Symon was the reason Chef Irvine was eliminated. Chef Irvine I enjoy watching you. You Rock. You are my Iron Chef!

6. Janet Fagnan says:

I like so many of you are sad (and angry) that Chef Irwin was cut. I like Michael Chiarello, but was disappointed in his reaction to the judges negative reviews. Chef Michael acted like a spoiled child! I don't believe Chef Irwin should have been out! I also think that Chef Marcus should have been sent home on the first show. I was really hoping that it would have ended up with Chef Robert versus Chef Anne (again). They are both such great chefs and wonderful teachers. It really does almost seem like the fix is in. I personally think they will choose Chef Marcus or Chef Hughes as the NIC. By the way, someone was surprised to see Chef Alex, are you crazy? Chef Alex is the Executive Chef at not one but two super restaurants. NIC is very different from restaurant cooking, it is a competition and as such, the person who can think on the fly has an advantage. But I don't think that winning this proves you are the Best Chef. However I do think it shows that the winner is a very resourceful chef. At the end of the day, I don't believe that anyone can "named" the BEST, just the best on that particular day. And since we're complaining, I believe that the fix was in when Flay beat Sakai, Sakai has always been my favorite!

7. Mike B says:

Dear Food Network,

We have been faithful followers of many of your shows with outstanding chefs and their recipes. We took a chance and watched both the first (Heat & Meat) and second (Baseball & Peanuts) “Next Iron Chef” challenges, and were extremely disappointed by both shows. We don’t plan to watch this series again for the following reasons:

There seems to be capricious rule changes. In one episode, Chef Samuelsson didn’t follow the rules, but was allowed to continue, while in another, Chef Chiarello was allowed to continue when his coddled egg was raw (salmonella, anyone ??), and yet Chef Irvine was cut for flimsy reasons (Hummus was too thick??) even when the judges favored the dropped contestant two to one.
    I think that there should be a blind tasting. Let an off-stage voice explain to the judges the concept or reasoning for each dish. I don’t think there can be fair judging when the judges may have a particular like or dislike, however small, of a contestant’s personality, cooking style, or reputation.

Sorry, but we watched our last “Next Iron Chef.”

Best regards,

Mike B

• Mitzi says:

I agree with you, but have to keep watching because I am hooked on these shows…especially this one! They are all-stars after all and was looking forward to some of these 'judges' being judged. But how in the world did they pick these three…never heard of the lady judge, love Symon but is the newest 'rookie' Iron Chef & a pompous 'food writer'…what's he know about "cooking." ?! And now to lose Robert (who I adore)over Chiarello (that rude, egotistical 'holier than thou' ass) I am so outraged, but wonder if they worried about his availability with 2 popular shows on TV already… What do you think ?

8. wannaBeAcook says:

in spike's scallop dish….he used liquid nitrogen to freeze the scallop rouge? What is that? Then he grated it over the scallop? and I believe it was red?? Thanks.

9. jennifer says:

If Myichael arrogant &ignorant Chiarello wins this show – sorry FN but I will NEVER watch "Iron Chef" again. First I think Samanella (sp sorry) is a secret ingredient to him cause his coddled egg and his raw egg have been total FAILURES. Beyond that – being an Iron Chef means you are one of the best but what seperates them from others is they are HUMBLE about their greatness – they dont need to throw themselves a party everytime they win – his comments after "beating" and I say that with TOATAL sarcasm and disdain were childish and ignorant – I just won by a smidge but there are now smidges in a touchdown – or something to that effect was just juvenile and shows his arrogance. Now just to hear him comment in this weeks previews about cooking with candy again shows reason # 7896 why he shouldnt be the Next Iron Chef – "this is a silly ingedient for a chef like me to cook with" – an Iron Chef mwould NEVER say something like that and anyone that would should simply realize they are not mature enough to hold that title – GROW UP Micheal Chiarello they sun doesnt rise and set in your arrogant A$#.

• krc66 says:

Childish and ignorant, really? Apparently, MC doesn't have a monopoly on these traits, By the way, 100s of people order the a dish every week at the restaurant.

• jennifer says:

you shouldnt go in NIC and cook dishes you make every week at a resturant – you should be thinking outside the box and if you do recreate a dish it better be beyond perfect – I am entitled to my opinion as are you but there is no need to insult me – thank you very much for your reply

10. JADESIERRAA says:

I am happy to see others feel like I do about the "STEAL" from Chef Irvine. How do we start a "NO WATCH" MOVEMENT" until the chef is reinstated? Any ideas? Need computer people to help……….Post comment on where to go for further reading.