Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Super Chef Exile

by in Shows, November 14th, 2011

chuck hughes beau macmillian
The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is in full swing, with 10 new chefs fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, popcorn seemed to do it in for Chuck Hughes and he found himself battling it out with Beau MacMillan in a sudden-death challenge.

FN Dish: Let’s face it: Popcorn will always wind up between your teeth. If you had your way, which concession stand candy would you have picked?

CH: I was really pleased with popcorn, but I think it played against me.

FN Dish: Tofu: You’ve never worked with it or gone out of your way to eat it. Why?

CH: There are so many great foods out there. Why eat tofu?

FN Dish: Your tofu one-bite left a big impression on both Michael and Simon. If you had to do it again, would you put the sauce on the side?

CH: Absolutely. In the spur of the moment, I went for a one-bite wonder. It was my downfall.

FN Dish: Who do you think has the biggest competitive advantage out of the chefs left?

CH: Anne Burrell and Marcus Samuelsson because of their extensive knowledge of competition cooking.

FN Dish: I love watching Marcus’ reactions when things start heating up in the kitchen. Is he the comedian of the bunch or is it you?

CH: It’s not Marcus and it’s not me. It’s the big Beau Mac — he’s the funniest guy I know!

FN Dish: How do you feel about Judy Joo’s word, “foodgasm”?

CH: It makes me want to roll over and fall asleep (wink). Oh. I mean cuddle.

Alton Brown, the Master of Eviliciousness, Dishes on Halloween

When it comes to dishing out culinary evils, no one does it quite like the host of Cutthroat Kitchen, Alton Brown. Now in its fifth season, Cutthroat...

1. Ricco55 says:

Well last night Beau won, which was the right decision. He took a huge risk and made a dish that highlighted each of the three types of tofu they were given and each dish won rave reviews. Sorry for Chuck, but Beau outcooked him this time.

Which brings up why I hate the way these challenges are done. The best chefs are sent home because of a single mistake, impossible ingredient, accident, equipment malfunction, yet the mediocre chef that makes bad dishes but lucks out each week wins the title! The show should have accumulated points for each contest and the chef with the most points at the end wins. Then you know they are probably a decent chef and not some hack that just managed to survive.

• reba says:

Ricco55 spot on, that is exactly what our group of watchers have said

• jamajessie says:

Spoiler alert on The Best Food I Ever Made they put up Beau's credentials which included winner of Iron Chef America????? Thanx Food Network ????? They also put up Executive Chef under the person who won Chef Hunter while they were still promoting that show in advance of the series start date

2. barbiecats2000 says:

Sigh, sigh, sigh, Chuck was my guy but while Beau did not repurpose the ingredient and instead chose to recreate it – it landed him in the bottom. Chuck didn't please the mistress Judy Joo with his shrimp dish so he landed there as well. All bets are off and you must make something of the secret yet disgusting ingredient tofu. Chuck did not fare as well with that challenge. I did not agree but once again the FOODGASM goddess wasn't pleased. Yikes! I suppose he had too much spice or something.

3. jeanne says:

It seens to me that the judges should punt the ball and restart this game with some better understanding of the rules….
    after last weeks fiasco and now this c’ome on man !!!

4. Jeff says:

Hold on here… Just to make sure i get this right…

Chucks two dishes were good, one was too big, one caught in teeth “obviously”!

But the bad ice cream was ok enough..

Oh, and the guy who actually did not put candies in his first dish stayed !!!

Thats the best part of it.

The japanese lady has absolutely no judgement. She is the reason of this outcome mostly.

And seriously Food Network, if you do read and consider you viewers comments :

This verdict and chuck hughes being eliminated is deer poop! To be polite..

But here in Orlando, we are a dozen of people watching the show together, and we have decided to simply stop watching the show!

Im even considering cancelling my membership.. Anyway.. Today was a FAIL moment for FoodNetwork.

• Gidgetgoesny says:

Exactly! The bad ice cream. . .that's OK. Not even using the required ingredient. That's Ok. But popcorn stuck in someone's teeth? That's unacceptable. Mr. Hughes really should've done something about that. What is up with these judges?

• JM12 says:

I respect all of your opinions. But a quick note – "the japanese lady" is NOT Japanese. If you're going to call someone out like that, it's good to get it right.

5. biff says:

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! We all know you deserved to go on Chuck.

6. halplm says:

Oh look, not many comments this week… maybe because everyone stopped watching!

7. DONNA says:

CHUCK SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN LET GO,

GREAT CHEF AND THE ONLY REASON I WAS WATCHING THIS PROGRAM
    NOW I DO NOT CARE WHO WINS

8. Angie says:

I, too, am SO tired of ‘Triple D’! I don’t know what Guy Fieri did to get so much face -and hair- time. He mostly comes off as conescending and obnoxious.

9. barbiecats2000 says:

On the show "The Best Thing I ever Made" Beau was referred to as Iron Chef Winner. This is true in that he beat Bobby Flay in the Kobe Beef ICA competition. I believe this is what was referred to and NOT that he was the Next Iron Chef winner. Just saying. Chuck Hughs also won in his ICA contest against Bobby Flay.

10. Melissa says:

Chuck Hughes WAS the ONLY reason I watched this show.
    Looks like I'll be tuning into something else next Monday

• Pat Kilt says:

And what a crock to give him popcorn which was the only ingredient which was so unlike the others it was unworkable wont be watching again if they are going to be so unfair