Chatting With the Latest Next Iron Chef: Super Chef Exile

by in Shows, November 21st, 2011

beau and geoffrey
The fourth season of The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs is in full swing, with 10 new chefs fighting it out for a grand prize that so many would-be chefs covet: joining the ranks of Iron Chefs Marc Forgione, Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces and Michael Symon. Each chef will try to pull out all their tricks to stay in the competition but, ultimately, one chef must go home each week. Every Monday, FN Dish brings you exclusive exit interviews with the latest Super Chef to get the boot.

This week, a competitor everyone loved and laughed with, Beau MacMillan, said goodbye and they’re dishing about their favorite Kitchen Stadium gadget and the rest of the competition.

FN Dish: It seemed like your fellow chefs were trying to remind you that this was a coconut competition during the Sudden Death challenge. Do you think you strayed?

BM: No, I don’t think I strayed. I stand by my food and I thought my dish was very good.  But at the end of the day, I was out-cooked.

FN Dish: “I can rely on one thing and one thing only, and that’s my palate.” You stayed true to yourself throughout the competition. What was the highlight for you?

BM: Not every chef is given the opportunity to work with, compete against and be judged by people that they respect.  It was truly an honor to be able to express myself through cooking at such a high level during the show. Looking back, every moment in the kitchen was a highlight. My favorite memories — my best times — were during the battles.

FN Dish: What’s the one gadget in Kitchen Stadium you found most useful?

BM: The stove. It was my staple.

FN Dish: It’s now equal: girls against guys. Who do you think the men are scared of and vice versa?

BM: You really have to be afraid of everyone, even yourself. You can’t hold back or take anything for granted.  There is such a fine line between winning and losing — it can come down to a single bite. You have to watch every decision you make when you’re in the kitchen doing your thing. You can’t overthink or underthink anything and there’s really no room for mistakes when you compete at such a high level with chefs of this caliber.

Celebrate Thanksgiving with Food Network in November

Thanksgiving is coming! Thanksgiving is coming! And it’s certainly not something we take lightly here at Food Network. Why? Because it’s a...

1. backyardbbq74 says:

Zacharian is gonna win its a gimme this whole contest is rigged for him after all he is the VP of foodnetwork what crap to be honest she out cooked him on the show down tonight hes even gone so far as to not even cook what was asked of him and still he is there …contest what a joke !!!!

• joan says:

Yes, Zacharian is going to win! How, I don't get it…he has been in the bottom EVERY week? Ann is the best chef on the show and now that she is UNFAIRLY Out so am I!

• Lendrixson says:

He was voted 2nd place tonight by the judges behind only Faulkner. The only reason he was in the showdown was because of Anne's advantage vote. And he truly shows a lot of skill. The show is called "Iron Chef America" not "Mr. Nice Guy America."

• Lendrixson says:

I think Zakarian has shown a very high level of skill since day one. Should he really be penalized because his plates often displayed two or three dishes? Samuelson did the same thing on several occasions. The difference with Zakarian is that he pulls it off! Every time. I think that any of the remaining 4 would make an excellent Iron Chef. Certainly far superior to the last two winners Garces and "what's his name"

• Lendrixson says:

Do you honestly think that Zakarian is not an excellent chef? Anne is a great TV host, and cute and blonde and all- but come on- she isn't really in the same league as Zakarian when it comes to pure chef skills. Faulkner on the other hand is. I think she may pull this thing off!

• Vistafied says:

Reposted and modified after creating an account. They all deserve to win.

2. Leslie says:

So disappointed in this show! It's obvious to me it's not about who would be the best chef but about big egos not getting voted off. How can someone who has been in the bottom two so many times beat Ann!

I don't even care to watch any more. Robert and Ann were the only two who would have made a good iron chef and they are both gone and people who are less qualified (and have no personality) are still there! Very very disappointed, obviously the winner has already been picked.

• laura falor says:

I agree. chef Burrell is the best cook on this show. I will not watch anymore. She deserved to win and since she is out, frankly so am I. Cooking in Mich.

• Lendrixson says:

I am sorry you lost Anne, but I disagree. I think that Anne is an excellent chef, but not on the same level as Zakarian or the others. I was very sorry to see Chef Irvine voted off, but I think that other than that, the best chefs have stayed. Of course it was sad too when Hughes was voted off. We must remember that the show is called "Iron Chef America", not "Nice Person Chef America."

3. drednm says:

BOOOOOOOOOOO to the judges. Shove your souffles.

4. devi says:

I can't believe this still. Oh well, obviously they don't pick whoever would give the highest ratings or the best chefs because I can't cook and I could do as well as the 2 new ones. SO, moving on. The good thing is there are a lot of cooking shows on other networks now that are really about cooking.

5. @Getalong says:

I agree that Chef Irvine was robbed!!!! I believe that Chef Simon had it out for him since he took on Chef Irvine's show "Dinner Impossible" and failed – at least each time i seen him do it (twice) he did – miserably!! SO I believe that Simon wasn't wanting him to be good enough to belong to something he's a part of….basically it was as Chef Simon was saying "How dare he want to be successful in being an Iron Chef too!!" (cry baby!) I'm only saying this b/c after Chef Irvine 's challenge, the other two judges were looking to advance him, then Chef Simon started crying about it…..and they gave in. SHOOT!!!!

• Lendrixson says:

Interesting! I was unaware of this feud. I love Michael and Robert and am sorry if they have bad blood between them. They are both great chefs!

6. drednm says:

Zakarian had 2 negative comments. Burrell had no negative comments and loses? GIMME A BREAK. Get better judges.

• Lendrixson says:

Anne has been inconsistent from day one.Although she has shown flashes of brilliance, Zakarian has been consistenly excellent!

• Carol LeDuce says:

I agree, Anne should still be there. I make several of her dishes (not as well) but my husband is yelling cause I can now call him FAT BOY.

• Lendrixson says:

The only negative comments directed at Zakarian had to do with his use of sprinkled sugar. He was only in the showdown because of Anne's advantage vote. She actually earned a spot in the showdown with a bad performance with her canned sardines. She deserved to be voted off! Don't forget about Faulkner and Northern California farmer\chef Michael C. They aren't going to roll over and give it to Zakarian.

7. Mondan75 says:

I CANNOT believe they eliminated Chef Anne!!! I am so pissed right now. Her final dish was perfect…NO negative comments, but that D@#$ Zakarian keeps making it through after negative comments AND one episode he didn't even FOLLOW THE RULES. HOW IN THE "HALIBUT" DOES HE KEEP GETTING BY?!?!?!?!? This was just as bad as Chef Irvine getting eliminated which was a crock. I really hope that Alex, Geoffrey or Michael DO NOT get the title of Iron Chef…….Iron Arrogant with Attitude maybe. If I continue to watch the final episodes I will be pulling for Faulkner.

8. lulubelle says:

All of the Food Network contests are rigged to be exactly what they want them to be. The network has NO interest in what the viewers would like and doesn't make any effort to listen or find out . It is amazing they remain on the air. Iron Chef America has turned into big baby competition. It is sad to see something with such a high level of talent stoup to the gutter as it has over the last three seasons. We ended up with Symon, Garces and Forgione. That isn't talent it is a waste of air time and makes Flay, Morimoto, Batali, and Cora look like they have fallen to a third rate level. What a dishonor to Iron Chef.

9. Lendrixson says:

I am sorry that you are hurting over losing Chef Anne! However, in my opinion the judges made the right choice. Zakarian is an excellent chef, who has displayed consistency throughout the competition. His only flaw has been his stubborn attitude- which I personally find admirable. He sticks to his guns regardless of the risk of being eliminated. He deserves to be there!

10. jgui says:

Anne Burell was set up and then robbed, I will not watch another episode until you bring her back!!!

• Lendrixson says:

How was Anne set up? She cooked herself into the bottom two and put herself up against Zakarian by her own advantage vote. Explain to me this "set up."