The Neelys’ Brunch, New York City-Style

by in Events, October 2nd, 2011

The Neelys' Brunch 2011

Guests were graciously invited to be part of the Neely family this weekend, at the Neelys’ brunch NYCWFF event hosted at their recently opened New York restaurant, The Neely’s Barbecue Parlor.

The Neelys' Deviled Eggs

A cheerful red chandelier hangs in the entryway, the centerpiece of the restaurant, while curved wooden steps lead up to the sunny, welcoming parlor area, vibrantly decorated with orange checkered tablecloths and orange flowers. Jazzy music from a guitar and harmonica player duo lazily wafted through the restaurant Saturday, while brunch cocktails, candied bacon and deviled eggs greeted hungry, eager eaters as they trickled in and claimed seats.

Patrick and Gina Neely

The energy kicked up a notch when Pat and Gina arrived and thanked everyone for coming (Gina broke into song, delighting the crowd). We took a moment to ask them what three brunch items they couldn’t do without, and they chose 1) Chicken and waffles, 2) candied bacon and 3) a special dessert. Gina says you always have to have dessert.

A table at the Neelys' Brunch 2011

For the event tables were lined up for family-style dining at its best, and the Neelys served up tasty lunch-leaning recipes from their popular show and cookbooks – familiar Southern favorites with a kick, like spicy creamed corn, baked beans and, of course, their signature “wet” Memphis-style ribs.

The Neelys' Memphis-Style Pork Ribs

It was the type of atmosphere that had strangers and friends mingling and chatting happily while passing bowls of thick gravy and extra biscuits from one end of the table to the other. For the morning we were one big happy Neely family, eating, drinking and ending with a sweet couldn’t-be-skipped Mississippi Mud Pie.

YouTube Preview Image

Spring Break in Miami: Tickets on Sale Now for the 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival

Though the chill of fall air might be welcome relief now after a stifling summer, come February you’ll have likely turned a cold shoulder to th...

1. Milan Sladek says:

Real nice design and superb content , nothing else we want : D.

2. King Kelley says:

Good job on the new restaurant family. Do yo thang spice fairy! Do yo thang big dog. Love yall. Cool beans.

3. Val says:

I had to stop watching them. That stupid laugh of his (Pat's) drives me crazy and most times they need to get a room. Give it a break. Their food looks great and I have used several recipes. I'm from the south and appreciate what they bring but I just can't stomach them. Almost as obnoxious as Giada and Rachael Ray.

• luvcookin says:

Right there with you Val. I just can't watch them. They do need to just get a room! I'm wondering if there is a bed in the office of the new restaurant!

• Chris says:

Would you rather they be fighting and throwing pans at each other on the air?!? Give me a break. They are a sweet refreshing couple with wonderful recipes. Every couple should work together in the kitchen, it might help their relationship!!!

4. Evelyn Joyce says:

Pat and Gina are what my husband and I call the Dynamic Duel. The way they get alone in the kitchen is the way husband's and wives use to treat each other and the recipes they create are WONDERFUL. I've tried many of your recipes and they were great. Keep the spice fairy on the food and in your marriage. You all have a beautiful relationship and a beautiful family.

5. lmlifestyledesign says:

I had a wonderful time at the brunch, helping a wonderful cause Food Hunger! The food was sooo good, but the clincher for me was the blackberry cobbler! It was so good, that I told a little fib to the waiter, I told him that I did get one…..LOL! The second portion arrived, which made me very happy; that time I ate it really slow! Great event, good food, wonderful couple Pat & Gina and a great restaurant! Letia Mitchell LifeStyle & Design

• Virginia says:

Let me get this straight…This was to help the cause of Food Hunger..and yet, instead of paying for your 2nd helping of dessert, you lied to the waiter to get a free one? If I were you, I think I'd have been embarrassed to admit to such a shameful thing on here :-(

• lmlifestyledesign says:

FYI Virginia in order to be at this event, you had to be a paid participant, which I purchased. Plus my donation, would suffice me having a second serving. So absolutely before writing a comment, you should check requirements of fundraising if a restaurant closed for he event, obiviously it was a small group of people to help the cause! But I will give the benefit of doubt of you not knowing; taking something the wrong way! I merely made the comment to let people know how good it really was!

6. Sandy says:

Attended the the brunch with Gina and Pat and had a wonderful time. I have to agree with you the blackberry cobbler was delicious and well as the other items served. I will definitely go again next year and try to attend more events.

7. Veronica says:

I must agree with the with the first commenter, I can't even watch these people! I don't know how they have a show on foodnetwork! I was watching the show the other day, and the guy couldn't even cut an onion! And the way they act is SO ridiculous, so annoying! And NO ONE wants to know what's going on in their relationship, come on! And they shouldn't be on saturdays, foodnetwork should have something special for the upcoming holidays on the weekends. They already play enough of these people during the week. What happened to foodnetwork? I have been watching the foodnetwork for over ten years, what ever happened to Mario Bitali, Wolfgang, Emeril, etc…? The only ones that are still good are Ina Garten and Anne Burrell (even though she acts kinda strange sometimes).

• nesbitt929 says:

WOW! I am not the only one.I watch FN everyday nearly all day but had to switch when these guy's are on because of him saying "chall" or ya'll constantly.Is he copying Paula?It is not flattering.And I am so sick and tired of DDD all week-end.I have found there to be good recipe's on the show but when I go to get them they are not there on the website.It is true,evening's and week-ends belong to Guy.

8. Barbara says:

Addicted to the Network, but, you need to get a hold of yourselves re the love affair with Guy Fieri! It's beginning to look like the GF Network. I know he's popular and he is entertaining but enough already!!! Back to back to back to back to back episodes of DDD is simply too much to take. Mix it up, for heaven's sake. While sometimes interesting, DDD is not by any stretch of the imagination even remotely a helpful learning experience. I'm sure I'm in the minority, however, feel better getting that off my chest!!!

• luvcookin says:

Barbara, based on what I have read on other threads, you are not in the minority at all! I used to watch FN all the time. Now I barely watch it at all. It's just one rerun after the other most of the time. I'm sick of travel shows like DDD and Crave. I'm never going to go to those places so I really don't care what they are serving. I watch FN for cooking, not travel.

9. E. Lee says:

I love Pat and Gina! What is the deal bringing them on at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday? And Sunny Anderson at 7:30 a.m. and where is Big Daddy? Seems to me FN is trying to get rid of the few African-American shows. How many times can you look at Chopped or Guy??? Come on FN you are losing your watchers fast!!!

10. Hi there! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the great data you might have right here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your weblog for more soon.