Potato Casserole Recipes — Fall Fest

by in In Season, Recipes, October 19th, 2011

vegetable shepards pie
There’s nothing better than a heaping helping of potatoes; whether they’re Yukon Gold, russet or fingerling is entirely up to you. The hearty vegetable sometimes gets a bad rap, but potatoes are actually low in sodium, high in potassium and an important source of complex carbohydrates and vitamins C and B-6.

Make the most of this year’s potato harvest by mixing them with other rich ingredients and baking ‘em in a casserole dish. Easy to put together and full of flavor, a casserole makes for a great make-ahead meal that requires hardly any prep.

Whip up Emeril’s Twice Baked Potato Casserole for a buttery, cheesy mashed mix. The key is adding butter, sour cream, heavy cream and seasonings to the potato flesh once they’ve gone through one round of baking in the oven.

Try Sandra’s Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes for a rich and decadent side dish that looks and tastes gourmet. This recipe calls for a medium casserole pan, but we say the bigger the better to savor the flavor.

Make Food Network Magazine’s Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie (pictured above) in a little over an hour. Buttery Yukon Gold potatoes pair well with carrots, celery, baby turnips and chopped veggie burgers.

Pile on the vegetables when you make Giada’s Tomato Vegetable Casserole. The delectable mix of red bell pepper, carrots, zucchini and, of course, potato makes this dish five-star worthy.

Learn more: The Potato Spectrum

Talk to us: What’s your favorite way to eat potatoes? Tell us in the comments or join the conversation on Twitter at #cookingwith.

More potato recipes from family and friends:

Taste With The Eyes: Poached Salmon, Lobster Mash, Lentil Gumbo “Gravy”
And Love It Too: Twice Baked Potato – Paleo Style
What’s Gaby Cooking: Smashed Potatoes
From My Corner of Saratoga: Potato Canapes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Chorizo and Potato Tacos
Cooking Channel: Cozy Up With In Season Potatoes
FN Dish: Best Potato Casserole Recipes
Cooking With Elise: The Irish Boxty
CIA Dropout: Potato and Leek Soup
The Sensitive Epicure: Potatoes Anna With Fresh Thyme and Truffle Salt
Glory Foods: Chicken Smashed Potatoes
Daily*Dishin: Creamy Loaded Potato Casserole
Virtually Vegan Mama: Baked Cinnamon Spiced Sweet Potato Fries

Grilled Shiitake and Tofu Banh Mi — Meatless Monday

Chicken, burgers, brats and barbecue may be all the rage on Labor Day, but you don’t have to forgo your plans for Meatless Monday on account of ...

1. S. G. Villanueva says:

WOW!! What a selection of recipes to choose from! Now, would you happen to have a good salad recipe using the purple Okinawan sweet potato? Thanks.

2. G.O. Dyment says:

I don't have a favorite potato recipie, I just love them…period..lol. My last experiment was a take on Sheperds Pie. I did a 50/50 mix of Beef & Itailan Sausage w/ oinion & mushrooms in a large pan w/ butter, browned the meat a bit, added about a cup or so of beef stock, some ground black pepper and let that simmer while I worked on Emeril’s Twice Baked Potato Casserole for the topping. When the meat mixture reduced a bit, I put that in a fairly deep casserole dish, topped that with a can of corn on one side, carrots in the middle, & green beans on the other side…that way the five of us can pick our fav veggie. top the veggies with Emerils potato dish, and diced up the potato skins to put on top….I was the hero with the kid's that night…LOL. The leftovers when darn near as good when it first come out of the oven too.!

3. AnnMarie Gazsi says:

Don't you ever have "Bitchin Kitchen" star Nadia on. I love her also.

4. Amanda says:

Summer Kitchen in Omaha is famous for their potato casserole, and for good reason. FN needs to feature one of their recipes!

5. I ought to say, as a great deal as I enjoyed reading what you had to say, I couldnt assist but shed track of time following a whilst.

6. Thanks for the tips shared on your own blog. Yet another thing I would like to express is that fat reduction is not all about going on a dietary fad and trying to shed as much weight as possible in a couple of days. The most effective way to lose weight naturally is by getting it slowly and gradually and following some basic suggestions which can assist you to make the most from a attempt to lose fat. You may recognize and be following some of these tips, however reinforcing know-how never damages.

7. Jann Gralak says:

Hello to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your views are pleasant in favor of new viewers.

8. Tarah Kaja says:

Hi there colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you want to say concerning this post, in my view its really amazing in support of me.

9. Sounds like some thing plenty of seniors ought to analyze. The sensations of neglect are there in a lot of levels every time a single is finished the mountain.

10. Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a honest price? Thanks, I appreciate it!