Jeff Mauro Talks to Fans on Facebook

by in Food Network Chef, August 19th, 2011

jeff mauro
Earlier this week, we sat down with the Sandwich King himself for a Food Network Facebook chat. If you missed it, here are some of the highlights:

Lisa Graham Goulet: What is the one sandwich you’ve tried and will never make again?
JM: Blood sausage sandwich — whoa.

Jon Barsanti Jr.: What was it like living with everybody under one roof?
JM: Difficult at times, but at the end of the day, we were all in the same boat experiencing the same things.

Sara Levine: What was your favorite challenge? Least favorite?
JM: Rachael Ray was a blast, but Iron Chef was very difficult.

Katie Lascano: What were you thinking on your first day of Food Network Star?
JM: Oh. My. Heavens. What did I just sign up for? There’s a dude with holes in his ears and a tanned up kid from Jersey — so many tattoos.

Frank Samperi: What was your celebratory meal?
JM: I ate an entire half of a medium sausage pizza left by my babysitter, and that’s the truth. I was beside myself with exhaustion and hunger. It was glorious!

Darla Andrews: What are you going to do to make sure your show has longevity on the Food Network?
JM: I’m going to focus on the plethora of international and regional sandwiches on the planet with a focus on new and exciting sandwich inventions: sides, salads, soups, chips, condiments, dressings, veggies, breads, etc.

Angela Anagho: How different is the actual show from what you had planned? Did you already have extensive recipes for different types and styles of sandwiches?
JM: Not much different, but we’ve included some on-the-street, shopping and eating segments, all in Chicago.

Kevin Barta: What’s your favorite sandwich place in Chicago or the suburbs?
JM: Johnnie’s Beef in my hometown of Elmwood Park, steak sandwich at Jimmy’s in Forest Park.

Mandy Kleinmeulamn: Do you always toast the bread?
JM: Always butter/oil and griddle the bread — it’s so much better.

Dawn Peterson: If your favorite musician was coming over to your house for dinner, what sandwich would you make?
JM: It would be Jeff Tweedy from Wilco and I would make him an enormous central/southern Illinois-style pork tenderloin sandwich.

Kristen Barnett: Cubs or Sox?
JM: Sox!

Tina Totty: How would you turn a St. Louis staple (toasted ravioli) into a sandwich?
JM: I would do a light panko breading on a thin piece of Italian bread, fry that up and stuff it with roasted tomatoes, shaved Parmesan and a nice whole-milk ricotta. And fresh basil, of course.

Tune in: Sunday’s at 11:30 a.m. Eastern/10:30 a.m. Central

Summer Slow-Cooking: How to Bake Without Heating Up the House

Who doesn’t love coming home to the aromas of a slow cooker filled with bubbling chili, steaming chicken and dumplings, or hearty beef stew on a...

1. Sylvia Toscano says:

Glad you won Jeff, I myself have a Deli in San Antonio Texas its in an actual Railroad Boxcar which is why
    I named it "All Aboard". Would love to have you show me some new sandwiches I can add to my menu.
    5255 McCullough San Antonio, Texas. come aboard soon.

• luvcookin says:

Hi Sylvia,
      Just googled your deli. You've got some great reviews! Have you ever thought about opening a location in the Medical Center area? In that area alone, there is an office park (where I work), Methodist Main Hospital, Methodist Children's hospital, Methodist Heart hospital, University hospital, and the VA hospital. In my office, we only get 30 minutes for lunch so I usually call in an order, go pick it up, then eat at my desk while working. There is a strip center with empty locations at Medical and Fredericksburg. It's the strip center with Blackeyed Pea and Wing Stop. You wouldn't have a box car, but you could use a train theme inside the location! Think about it! We need something new in that area!

2. Stella says:

Watched the show and I thoroughly enjoyed it, both sandwiches looked so good! To those who think if you're not from Chicago you don't "get it" with regard to the sandwiches being dipped or the way the beef should be cooked, get over yourselves. If you're not from Texas do you not "get" what bbq is? Please. Great show Jeff, can't wait to see what's next from the Sandwich King!

3. Anna says:

Congratulations on your victory! Well-deserved. Your sense of humor and fun in the kitchen makes you a winner! Congratulations! May the Sandwich King reign forever!

4. mismax says:

Congrats, Jeff. We've never been to Chicago nor have we had an Italian Beef Sandwich. We made the whole recipe Sunday after the show and loved it! Only problem was we could not eat the giardiniera until the next day, but it was awesome as well. Btw, I think the vinegar is missing from one of your giardiniera recipes. One recipe has it, the other doesn't. We made it WITH the vinegar.

5. Maria says:

JEFF!!!! I am sooo glad you one! I rooted for you the whole time! Your food looks amazing and can't wait make one of your receipes. Congrats!!!!

6. Anne says:

I now have a weekly reminder set up in my calendar for this show. Love the show, love that Jeff won, and we will be using his recipes. I like his humor, energy, and enthusiasm, and the food is great. I really like the street segments, too. He's not bad to look at, either!

7. Andy says:

I think I'm done with this show, looks like Food Network is letting him do his schtick again, didn't work to well during the contest and not working to well here either. And thanks for CONSTANTLY reminding me that every little bit is being cooked PERFECTLY. Did I mention that it was perfect? Perfectly seasoned you know…. Shees!

8. Debra says:

I watch Food Network 6 – 7 days a week. You are the first chef who made me so hungry I went to the fridge twice to get something to eat. during your show. I live in Florida and when it is HOTa good sandwich is a great changen from a hot meal. I will definitely make the lamb tacos. I could taste them the description was so good!! You are a natural with the Sandwich King theme. Looking forward to some new receipes.

9. Greg says:

Keep up the great work Jeff. We love you down here in Austin! I think my wife maybe love you a bit too much ;) Can you make a "perfect" cuban sandwich that we can make at home?

10. Melissa says:

Hey Jeff I would like to know what steak sandwich you made the very last episode of Food Network Star? It looked so good, I just can't remember it. I think you used a flank steak???