Jeff Mauro Talks to Fans on Facebook

by in Food Network Chef, August 19th, 2011

jeff mauro
Earlier this week, we sat down with the Sandwich King himself for a Food Network Facebook chat. If you missed it, here are some of the highlights:

Lisa Graham Goulet: What is the one sandwich you’ve tried and will never make again?
JM: Blood sausage sandwich — whoa.

Jon Barsanti Jr.: What was it like living with everybody under one roof?
JM: Difficult at times, but at the end of the day, we were all in the same boat experiencing the same things.

Sara Levine: What was your favorite challenge? Least favorite?
JM: Rachael Ray was a blast, but Iron Chef was very difficult.

Katie Lascano: What were you thinking on your first day of Food Network Star?
JM: Oh. My. Heavens. What did I just sign up for? There’s a dude with holes in his ears and a tanned up kid from Jersey — so many tattoos.

Frank Samperi: What was your celebratory meal?
JM: I ate an entire half of a medium sausage pizza left by my babysitter, and that’s the truth. I was beside myself with exhaustion and hunger. It was glorious!

Darla Andrews: What are you going to do to make sure your show has longevity on the Food Network?
JM: I’m going to focus on the plethora of international and regional sandwiches on the planet with a focus on new and exciting sandwich inventions: sides, salads, soups, chips, condiments, dressings, veggies, breads, etc.

Angela Anagho: How different is the actual show from what you had planned? Did you already have extensive recipes for different types and styles of sandwiches?
JM: Not much different, but we’ve included some on-the-street, shopping and eating segments, all in Chicago.

Kevin Barta: What’s your favorite sandwich place in Chicago or the suburbs?
JM: Johnnie’s Beef in my hometown of Elmwood Park, steak sandwich at Jimmy’s in Forest Park.

Mandy Kleinmeulamn: Do you always toast the bread?
JM: Always butter/oil and griddle the bread — it’s so much better.

Dawn Peterson: If your favorite musician was coming over to your house for dinner, what sandwich would you make?
JM: It would be Jeff Tweedy from Wilco and I would make him an enormous central/southern Illinois-style pork tenderloin sandwich.

Kristen Barnett: Cubs or Sox?
JM: Sox!

Tina Totty: How would you turn a St. Louis staple (toasted ravioli) into a sandwich?
JM: I would do a light panko breading on a thin piece of Italian bread, fry that up and stuff it with roasted tomatoes, shaved Parmesan and a nice whole-milk ricotta. And fresh basil, of course.

Tune in: Sunday’s at 11:30 a.m. Eastern/10:30 a.m. Central

Food Network Favorites Share Breakfast with Local Schoolchildren

It’s no secret that breakfast is the most-important meal of the day, but nevertheless many children go to school hungry, having not had breakfas...

1. italianfun68 says:

Jeff, you are the best. I am an Italian from San Fran and can't wait to come to Chicago! Love you and your show. I can't wait to try the beef and the fig sandwich. Keep up the good good. Come to San Francisco please!!!!!

Veronica

2. Liz says:

Glad you won and love your show! It's so neat to see a fellow Chicagoan in a FN show since most of the chefs are from the east or west coasts or the south. I watched your first show and it felt like I was watching a friend from the neighborhood. Great show and great Italian beef sandwich, just like I remember. Congrats to you. Hope to see you there for a long time.

3. Linda says:

I'm so glad you are the new star! The right person absolutely won the contest! Loved your show yesterday and set it as one of my favorites on my TV. The giardinerre really brought back memories of my childhood. Keep up the good work. You are really down to earth and so easy to watch. See you next week! :)

4. Robyn Johnson says:

Jeff, I am so glad you won! You are my favorite! You are adorable, honest and sincere. I wish you the very best on your new show. I watched the first one and you did an awesome job! So much so that I want to dvr your series, but the info wasn't up yet. So keep doing what your doing!

5. Mary Ann says:

Congratulations! Loved the show and you. I will make both those sandwiches. I have figs in my refrigerator that I didn't know what to do with and now I can use them. I'm so glad you won and like the idea of scenes from Chicago and the suburbs. Hopefully, you'll get a new set soon.

6. M. G. says:

Oh, we are so happy to see Jeff win and even happier to see his first show as a very watchable success. My boyfriend is not much of a cook but he thought Jeff was the one to beat from day one of FNS and we were both so happy that someone won who was both a natural with the camera and someone who cooks delicious food that we would actually make. To be so likable with both women who like to cook and men who don't cook so much–that's a talent that can't be taught. Jeff has a great future ahead and we will watch every show. Both the beef and the fig sandwiches from his first episode will by made by us. Great job for picking the right guy for the job.

7. Darren says:

Jeff…I'm from Miami, FL and despite what some of these posters have been saying that "you have to be from Chicago to enjoy your recipes", I completely disagree. Despite this, you just cant please everyone so don't try to. Keep doing what you're doing and do it your way! That's what got you here and that's what will keep me watching.
    You're a class act and I really enjoy your food/TV chops. Keep livin your dream and enjoy every minute.

8. Rosie C says:

Jeff's show was great enjoyed watching it love his sandwichs,cant wait to make them.

9. Annette says:

Watched the first show and will be my last. did not like it AT ALL. Directions were lousy. He was boring. The concept also was lame.

• luvcookin says:

Totally agree Annette! He made a leftover pot roast sandwich and a grilled cheese!

• Patty says:

Well I think your way out numbered… I know you cant please everyone… but remember your words when this guy is at the top… and by the way….. the only thing lame is your not getting the concept…. way to go Jeff… I think you are fantastic and I knew you would win….cant wait to watch you every week! Your sense of humor is awesome, your food is great and you are so cute…. love it!

10. Patricia B. says:

Jess. I was hoping you would win. You are a natural and we need someone to show us how to make great sandwiches. You are entertaining as well and I look forward to trying all your creations. Good luck in becoming the best Food Newwork Star ever!!!!!!!!!!!

• luvcookin says:

Sorry, I just do not get the fascination with a leftover pot roast sandwich or a grilled cheese with fatty deli meat. FN needs to get back to their roots and show people actual recipes and how to cook. How many of us are going to make 6 foot tall cakes that move or 1000 cupcakes? Jeff showed me nothing that I do not already know.