Jeff Mauro Talks to Fans on Facebook

by in Food Network Chef, August 19th, 2011

jeff mauro
Earlier this week, we sat down with the Sandwich King himself for a Food Network Facebook chat. If you missed it, here are some of the highlights:

Lisa Graham Goulet: What is the one sandwich you’ve tried and will never make again?
JM: Blood sausage sandwich — whoa.

Jon Barsanti Jr.: What was it like living with everybody under one roof?
JM: Difficult at times, but at the end of the day, we were all in the same boat experiencing the same things.

Sara Levine: What was your favorite challenge? Least favorite?
JM: Rachael Ray was a blast, but Iron Chef was very difficult.

Katie Lascano: What were you thinking on your first day of Food Network Star?
JM: Oh. My. Heavens. What did I just sign up for? There’s a dude with holes in his ears and a tanned up kid from Jersey — so many tattoos.

Frank Samperi: What was your celebratory meal?
JM: I ate an entire half of a medium sausage pizza left by my babysitter, and that’s the truth. I was beside myself with exhaustion and hunger. It was glorious!

Darla Andrews: What are you going to do to make sure your show has longevity on the Food Network?
JM: I’m going to focus on the plethora of international and regional sandwiches on the planet with a focus on new and exciting sandwich inventions: sides, salads, soups, chips, condiments, dressings, veggies, breads, etc.

Angela Anagho: How different is the actual show from what you had planned? Did you already have extensive recipes for different types and styles of sandwiches?
JM: Not much different, but we’ve included some on-the-street, shopping and eating segments, all in Chicago.

Kevin Barta: What’s your favorite sandwich place in Chicago or the suburbs?
JM: Johnnie’s Beef in my hometown of Elmwood Park, steak sandwich at Jimmy’s in Forest Park.

Mandy Kleinmeulamn: Do you always toast the bread?
JM: Always butter/oil and griddle the bread — it’s so much better.

Dawn Peterson: If your favorite musician was coming over to your house for dinner, what sandwich would you make?
JM: It would be Jeff Tweedy from Wilco and I would make him an enormous central/southern Illinois-style pork tenderloin sandwich.

Kristen Barnett: Cubs or Sox?
JM: Sox!

Tina Totty: How would you turn a St. Louis staple (toasted ravioli) into a sandwich?
JM: I would do a light panko breading on a thin piece of Italian bread, fry that up and stuff it with roasted tomatoes, shaved Parmesan and a nice whole-milk ricotta. And fresh basil, of course.

Tune in: Sunday’s at 11:30 a.m. Eastern/10:30 a.m. Central

Alton Brown, the Master of Eviliciousness, Dishes on Halloween

When it comes to dishing out culinary evils, no one does it quite like the host of Cutthroat Kitchen, Alton Brown. Now in its fifth season, Cutthroat...

1. Ken says:

Unfortunately, your program today was not good–you were boring. I think you need an audience to stimulate you. I thought Susie did a better job, but you are here–good luck!

2. Kathy says:

Jeff, we loved both your shows. Me & my husband think that you & Guy are the best stars to hit the Food Network ever. Keep up the great work & continue to dazzle

3. bernice says:

jeff congrats! finally a new show to watch that's actually interesting and fun !

4. Kosmo says:

The guy is a winner, and his show is terrific. My wife and I are going to make the fish and chips he did on today's show. Jeff is going places, and he deserves it all. Such a nice guy, and funny to boot. I wish him all the success in the world!

5. Andrea Javel says:

Congratulations, Jeff! My partner and I love your new show…but what's with the decor? All that white is so sterile and you're a much warmer person.

Kudos and keep keepin' on!

6. Joanne says:

Jeff, I love your show! I am SO glad they let you keep to the premise of your win, SANDWICHES! They blew it once before with the changing of the winners outlook and the Aarti Party thing was too one type of ethnic food and seasoning. Your outlook can go so many different directions recipe and tastewise. I really hope they extend your contract for more shows. I see you becoming as well known as Guy. You both have such great personalities and appeal. Congratulations on your win and best of luck on your new program….I will be watching!

7. Sharon says:

I am really enjoying Sandwich King. i watched the whole Next Food Network Star and he conducted himself well. I watch Food Network and The Cooking Channel a bit every day but rarely make the recipes. This week I am definitely making the Lamb Taco (gyro?) I have it taped and will cook it along with Jeff. His fresh face is a welcome addition to the cooking world. Good Luck Jeff. Don't change your personality. Even my 35 year old daughter thinks you're funny and she rarely watched cooking shows.