Humidity and Cookies — Fix My Dish

by in How-to, August 8th, 2011

chocolate chip cookies
Twice a month, we’re giving readers a chance to ask Food Network Kitchens’ advice about an issue they’re having with a dish. They can’t reformulate a recipe for you, but they’re happy to help improve it. For example, this week’s question is directly related to the intense summer heat we’ve been having.

Question: “With all this humidity, my freshly-baked cookies got stale. How can I crisp them up again?” — Debby D.

Answer: Moisture may be good for your plants or your skin, but not for your cookies. Summer, though welcomed for the sun and fun, also brings humidity that makes your cookies limp — not so fun. Keep those cookies crisp by storing them in an airtight container. Some people toss a piece of bread in with the cookies to help absorb any excess moisture. You could also re-crisp them by baking on a wire rack in a 300 degree F oven for a few minutes.

Have a question for the Kitchens? Leave a comment below and they’ll answer a select number of them in the coming weeks.

10-Minute Cake Decorating with Supermarket Staples

Decorating a cake can be super-easy and stress-free, so celebrate life’s special occasions, no matter how small, with a festive decorated cake. ...

1. Monika says:

I like to make chicken fajita fr left over rottisserie chicken.

Sauté sliced onion,minced garlic in a tsp of oil. Add sliced green pepper & zucchini in it.

Add shredded chicken and stir . Now add salt,cummin powder, red chilli flakes & a tsp of lemon pepper.

Serve hot with fajitas , sour cream & salsa

2. Lesa says:

dry spices-how long are they good for?When do I pitch them-they ususally do not have a date on the package-can they harm you if you use them in a dish?I don't even know how old some of them are to be honest..

3. Tiffany says:

I'm making French dip sandwiches tonight and it takes a 4 lb roast. Its just me and my husband here how can I use the rest of the meat with out making us sick of it?

4. Pat says:

I have half of a rottisserie chicken left over. I need some ideas on how to use this up without us getting tired of baked chicken.

5. Holly says:

Chicken salad

6. Barbara says:

One of my favorite ways to use up leftover cooked meat is to simply tear it up and toss in a batch of tomato sauce. Especially with all the beautiful summer tomatoes from our gardens, it's a great way to cook and store in the freezer for later on.

I also will use in my of my favorite concoctions of some type of summer macaroni salad….as long as you have the basics of flavors you like — mayo or vinaigrette binder, shallots, celery, olives, carrots, etc. (and sometimes apple for a nice crunch) — you can pretty much adapt any leftover meat to it, especially chicken!

7. Ann Victoria Paras says:

I like this question and answer. One is never too old to learn.

8. rochelle says:

debone the meat and freeze for later use. homemade chix pot pie, chix casserole, creamed chix over fresh biscuits, add to homemade (or jarred if you must) alfredo sauce, serve over your favorite pasta.

9. Patty says:

Saute onions, pepper & garlic in olive oil, add leftover shredded chicken and make chicken taco's or add enchilada sauce & shredded cheese to make enchilada's. Delicious!

10. You certainly incorporate some agreeable ideas and ideas. Your blog is designed with a fresh go through the subject.