Going For Gold for the ESPYs — Cupcake Wars Recap

by in Shows, August 10th, 2011

espy cupcake wars episode
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

In round one of Cupcake Wars ESPYs episode, we saw cupcakes packed with power foods like almonds, blueberries and even spinach, but Florian and I weren’t feeling too energized by the bakers’ efforts. Therese and Desi were too heavy-handed with the orange and almond flavors, and Rachel’s cupcakes were just plain raw. When your cupcake texture is described as “wet,” it’s not a good thing.

In round two, Florian and I were further mystified by the lackluster decorations. Guest judge Gretchen Bleiler reminded our bakers that the ESPYs are like the Academy Awards for sports, yet the decorations were either nonexistent or just missed the mark entirely. Our bakers clearly hadn’t prepared for game day.

espy cupcakes
Strangely, in round three, even after a day where our bakers were all over the map, we ended up with two incredibly similar displays. Both Jane and Desi created a large ESPY award to hold their 1,000 cupcakes. Suddenly, the winner was almost too close to call. In the end, Jane created a more spot-on ESPY award display and she went home the winner.
candace nelson espy cupcake wars

Do You Know Your Knives? [INFOGRAPHIC]

...

1. perplexed viewer says:

What happens to the 1,000 cupcakes that the loser or runner up made? Where do they go?

2. Momma G says:

This show is ridiculous….get rid of it………..

3. Liz says:

I think you still picked the wrong winner. The Gold is the best. Bring them back!

4. Talea says:

Desi should have won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jenn S says:

Jane had the best of everything and I can speak from experience in having tried her wonderful cupcakes! Best in DC

6. Margaret#9 says:

I think the judges picked it right 100%, When it comes down to it, details/remembering who your client is (I.e. The color of the award) is one of the most important things. My two cents! Congrats to the winner! :)

7. Bartmas says:

I have to tell you that I LOVE cupcake wars and wish there were more new programs throughout the week. Since watching it.. I'm making all sorts of cupcakes and love to see the ideas these contestants come up with. I think the displays could be a little more creative which always surprises me that they aren't but…and I would like to see more variety in judges although I always like the current ones.. just something to "change it up" a little.. and on that same note……. I HATE the new cookie program.. I don't care what one family is making in their cookie business…cookie wars.. bring it on but one family increasing their personal business sales…give America a break and help lots of bakers get some exposure!

8. Jason says:

Worst episode ever. Especially since I know for a fact that Jane has very little to do with Cakedreams. Her mom is the trained pastry chef, shame on her for allowing her nitwit daughter to act like she knows ANYTHING AT ALL about pastry. I have A TON of respect for quality pastry chefs but very little for frauds like Jane. I think Cakedreams had a lot going for them but have officially lost all respect for their shop. The comment "I think I brought the wrong person" was the last straw and I really hope the $10,000 was worth it for Michele since she let her daughter run all over her for it.

• Jane-Marie Kane says:

oh HEY Jason! This is Jane. Too bad I actually do know a thing or two about baking/decorating z;0HAHA, how does someone work in the field and not know anything. Were you aware of my previous restaurant experiences? Probably not. Do I know more than my mom? Definitely not. Do I know enough where I was able to run the shop while she was on vacation or needed a day off? Did I learn a lot from my mother? Definitely. Also keep in mind (if you can fit anything other than your judgement in that little narrow space), that just because I personally did not attend any pastry program, I received the knowledge free of charge first hand from a now well respected successful pastry chef, my mother. Whether I learned it in school, or from experience really means nothing other than I saved some money. So while you spend your days stalking my family's success, (since apparently you know us), and then writing your opinion on me, (which was really stupid. HAHA), you might also want to take a moment to google the number of the nearest therapist so you can begin working on your delusion of what a "nitwit" is.. because I can tell you it's not me. It's actually probably the jackass sitting behind a computer writing comments about stuff that literally has nothing to with them. By the way Jason, who are you again??? Have a great day!!!

9. Sabrina says:

Going for the gold episode was the most entertaining episode of cupcake wars so far. I trust the judges picked the right winner considering they were the ones who actually tasted them. I think Jane was hilarious and honest and definitely looked like she knew a thing or two about baking. I'm looking forward to the next episode and also watching the rerun of last week's show to get some more laughter from Jane and her mom's chemistry :)

10. Anna says:

I can't believe that it all came to a color! Yes I like gold better than silver but silver is the color of the ESPY so you can't just change the color! That is why Jane won and should have won!