Cupcake Wars: Miss USA

by in Shows, August 4th, 2011

cupcake wars miss usa recap
Cupcake Wars judge Candace Nelson is the founder and pastry chef of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery. She joins us on the FN Dish each week to recap all the sweet details of the competition from her seat at the judges’ table. Here’s what she had to say about this week’s episode.

Pageantry was mixed with Middle Eastern tastes in this week’s Miss USA-themed Cupcake Wars episode.  Paying homage to the Lebanese heritage of the reigning Miss USA, our contestants were faced with the challenge of incorporating Middle Eastern flavors into their cupcakes.  Three of the four contestants chose pistachios as an ingredient, which at first seems like a great choice, but due to a time crunch, it’s not. Baking with pistachios is extremely difficult as their flavor is very delicate and tricky to emphasize.  Both Autumn’s pistachio and orange marmalade cupcake and Teresa’s carrot cupcake blended with spiced pistachios had difficulty accenting the exotic flavors.  Brady’s creation had all the makings of a great cupcake with a moist cake and creamy frosting, but he fell short bringing out the flavor of the most delicate ingredient, rosewater.  Seda clearly had an advantage being familiar baking with rosewater and pistachios — her cupcake was perfect.

In round two, I was expecting to see a little more glitz and glamour in keeping with the Miss USA theme.  Autumn went with very basic, yet classic American flavors like lemonade and apple pie.  I could have envisioned her cupcakes at a picnic or barbecue, but they unfortunately did not work for this event. Brady really stepped it up in the creativity department. I had never seen a cupcake baked in an orange peel before and I love when contestants bring new tricks to the table — I will definitely be using that technique on my next camping adventure.  Seda’s cupcakes screamed Miss USA with her sparkling decorations.

When it came down to the final two, our display by the runners up was beautiful, but too literal an interpretation.  Brady’s modern and distinct display really put a spotlight on his cupcakes and captured the elegance that comes to mind with the pageant.  We crowned Brady the winner — perhaps the first man to win a Miss USA competition of any kind.

Bake the winning recipe: Peach-Berry Shortcake Cupcakes
peach-berry shortcake recipe

Vote on Your Least-Favorite Foods as a Kid — Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off

On this past Sunday’s episode of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off, the kids faced one of their toughest challenges yet, cooking their least-liked ...

1. Tom S says:

Hats off to Brady! For over a year I have watched Cupcake Wars and now until Brady have I ever saw a winner acknowledge his worthy opponent. All others act as if they are enemies, only Brady done the right thing. Well done Brady!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Anna says:

This was a great episode!

3. anna says:

Does anyone know why the competitors bake and ice so many cupcakes in the first round? They only need 3 finalized cupcakes for the judges right? Just curious:) thanks

• eli says:

I think they bake a whole tray, even though they only need 3, because they want to make sure they have enough incase they mess some up with the decorations, or drop one or so on. Just for back up. Also, they may be able to use the the remaining for the 1000, but i dont know that for sure.

4. Barb Hooper says:

on sunday october 23rd, i watched the food channel, cup cakes for miss u.s.a. the one baker made a cup cake in an orange shell, that he removed all of the orange,then filled the shall with the batter,then baked it. could you please get me the receipt for me. thankes very much. Barb hooper

5. Jeff Toleu says:

Urban Cookies ROCK!

6. Tuan Barbosa says:

Wohh exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it for posting . “Never say that marriage has more of joy than pain.” by Euripides.

7. Good day! I simply would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your great info you have got right here on this post. I will be coming back to your site for more soon.

8. Lorie Taylor says:

I want to know what is done with the 1000 cupcakes from the losing baker.

9. great points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader. What can you suggest regarding your submit which you made some days during the past? Any beneficial?

10. Agnes Solis says:

Remarkable article. the difficulty is comprehensively detailed, got a reliable method to obtain facts or anything else. Whether it’s more from these sort of entryways, Now i’m looking towards which usually.