The Perfect Iced Tea — Food Network Kitchens

by in Behind the Scenes, Food Network Magazine, August 19th, 2011

perfect iced tea
To come up with Food Network Magazine’s perfect iced tea recipe, Food Network Kitchens recipe testers compared hot- and cold-brewed black, herbal and green teas, testing each with both tea bags and loose tea to ensure accurate results.

“Although the cold brew did have a nice, pristine flavor, you ended up having to use so much more tea,” recipe tester Andrea Albin, recipe tester, says.

iced teas

Whether it was brewed hot or cold, loose tea produced more flavor. The type of flavor, however, is all up to you (see our infused syrup mix-ins on the link below).

Get the recipe: Perfect Iced Tea

What Would You Name These Ice Cream Cupcakes?

It’s nearly impossible to not get excited at the sight of these chocolate cupcakes. Filled with strawberry and vanilla ice cream and covered by ...

1. Tony Purvis says:

I am a foodie. Love the network. Well used too. What has happened to programing? Cupcake wars? Get real. Bring back Alton, Emeril, Sunny, Big Daddy,Tyler,and Bobby. We foodies are hanging on to Giada , Paula, Rachael and Guy. Jessie and Gloria have it right. We love instruction not wars.

• jeri says:

I, too, would love to see more instruction and information. Alton is my favorite, I even watch the reruns.

• luvcookin says:

I'm right there with you Tony! If Scripps is trying to do away with Food Network, it's working. I work during the day and the only thing on at night on FN is endless repeats of Cupcake Wars, Triple D, etc. No actual food instruction shows. And if you happen to watch Friday night, there is no need to watch on the weekend because they only show reruns of Friday night!

• bobby_fillet says:

Thanks. I thought I was the only person who couldn't figure out the appeal of Cupcake Wars. I've been watching more of PBS lately since shows like Lidia are much better for showing how to make great dishes and without the annoying personalities.

• Maggie says:

I couldn't agree more. Enough with competitions already. Why would I want to see 4 foot cake that moves? I'd much rather see how to actually make fondant flowers or something like that.

• Nuge says:

I agree!!!! Hate great food truck race, chopped, challenge,and restaurant impossible also!!!!!!!

• Elvin J. Parker III says:

Tony Purvis is right on point in his commentary!!! Can the darn cupcake wars and lets get back to the science of cooking! I LOVE ALTON BROWN! He gives you the "why" behind the "what"!

Of course I enjoy the other excellent chefs and cooks like Sunny, Paula, Rachel, Emeril, Tyler and Bobby, et. al.

2. jeri says:

What do all the non tea comments have to do with tea??? This is a tea blog. My fav is is just plain ol brewed tea. I add flavors and once in a while simple syrup. Sun tea is good too, so simple. I guess I'm just a plain tea person. Don't have any fancy brewer. Occ I use my Mr. Coffee, but mostly use the good old fashion kettle!! Did I date myself? LOL

3. HEIDI says:

I HARDLY WATCH FOOD NETWORK ON WEEKENDS .PBS HAS SOME GOOD COOKING SHOWS ON WEEKENDS THAT OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO WATCH. I WAS HAPPY TO SEE THE COOKING CHANNEL START BUT IT IS GETTING AS BAD AS FOOD NETWORK WITH THEIR NON-COOKING SHOWS. HOPE SOMEONE COMES OUT WITH SOMETHING NEW.

4. maysie says:

I miss the instructional shows in the evening, after 6:00pm. I don't care for chopped or the next foodnetwork star. I end up looking for something else on another channel.

5. Maria says:

I agree. I miss alton brown-good eats and the good instruction shows. As far as tea. I'm from south mississippi and it's THE drink of the south. 2 family size lipton tea bags in a small boiler of water brought to a boil. And mixed with almost 2 cups of sugar is perfection for me and my family.

6. Jawbreaker says:

The new programming sucks. I like cooking shows not competition. Where are they going to put all of these Next Food Network Stars? They have pushed some of the really good cooking shows right off the air. I know that some of them are on the Cooking Channel but you have to pay extra for that cable channel. Some of the shows that are left air two or three times a day. What's up with that?

• bobby_fillet says:

They could boot Arteeeee Parteeeee off the air and free up a spot. Same with Melissa. They don't have to keep them past the 6 show contract. Sometimes they keep them on because FN doesn't want to admit that they chose the wrong person.

• Divatooth says:

Well you must not Guy Fieri? He was one of the first ones. And I really like his shows.It's also nice the everyday people can also teach you new things without big products that we don't have in the kitchen or able to find.I am not a big Bobby Flay person because of that very thing.Giada wow! how can anybody not like her. Unless your a downer!

• Peaches says:

Amen to that! Who wants to watch the wars…you learn nothing! And its never anything you'd cook yourself at home

7. DONNA says:

HOW ABOUT GIADA WITH HER PHONY SMILE AND HER LOW CUT TOPS.

• Dolan says:

what's a matter Donna – Jealous of a beautiful, talented woman that can cook and entertain at the same time?

• cmortimr says:

I have to agree that Giada seens to be a real phony. She comes across, not as a real authority on food, but a spoiled little rich girl with nothing better to do than play at giving luncheons and pretending to have fun. I'm sure she is trying to be warm and friendly with that smile but it's actually kind of scary to see those teeth coming at you when you are sensing a phony personality behind it!

8. Nancy says:

Please bring back the old network stars….Stop with the Food trucks, cupcake wars, cookie wars, cake decorating and get back to the basics of teaching us how to cook……

• KDD says:

Absolutely! I don't recognize this network anymore, except the "Next Food Network Star" and "Iron Chef". All of those carbohydrates, including sugar, that you mention. I think some people should go back to the drawing board. Thanks for your comment.

KD

9. charlene says:

I agree with the other foodies, I don't watch food network as much as i did in the past. there are too many reallity shows, cupcake wars,iron chef. Food network needs some new shows. I watch more of cooking channel and wxxic. i've been a food network junkie for years. we need some new shows

10. Gaston Ciers says:

I really enjoy studying on this web site , it holds good articles .